Mitchell Trubisky says he has more experience than 13 starts suggests

Getty Images

North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky was only a starter for one of his four years in college, but he doesn’t think that should be held against him.

Trubisky pointed out on PFT Live that he got a lot of playing time when he was a backup in 2014 and 2015, that he was in the quarterback meeting rooms for four years and that he’s a quick study.

“It’s pretty obvious I only started 13 games, but I played in 30,” Trubisky said. “I think there’s a lot of things you can look at besides playing experience. I do have a lot of experience around the game, being at North Carolina for four years. I guarantee I’ve watched as much tape if not more than all the other quarterbacks going through this process. I’ve seen a lot of ball. I’m a student of the game. I’m a quick learner. The experience thing does hold some weight but I’ve been around the game long enough, I know enough and I definitely know enough, and I’ve shown what I can do last year and I will be successful at the next level.”

With the notable exception of Cam Newton, who only started one year at Auburn, college quarterbacks who only spent one year as a starter have generally not had great NFL careers. Trubisky hopes to change that.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Mitchell Trubisky says he has more experience than 13 starts suggests”
  1. Ruha Nuggetcrusher says: Apr 27, 2017 8:19 AM

This guy shows some promise, but taking any of these QBs anywhere in the first 15 picks or so is a huge gamble, especially with a completely loaded draft like this one.

2. maxkingpin says: Apr 27, 2017 8:22 AM

“… college quarterbacks who only spent one year as a starter have generally not had great NFL careers.”

Regardless of college experience most college QBs have generally not had great NFL careers.

3. ricko1112 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:26 AM

If Cleveland takes this guy at #1, the Browns should be permanently contracted. No more franchise for you!

4. thetooloftools says: Apr 27, 2017 8:27 AM

Make him #1. Big strong QB’s THRIVE in that division.

5. sf546 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:29 AM

I only had 13 starts but I’ve played Madden football many times.

6. RussianBreadMaker says: Apr 27, 2017 8:32 AM

I like that he stands tall in the pocket and looks crisp on his deliveries. My money says that he goes to Buffalo.

7. maddmatter5 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:36 AM

So he was good enough to play, but not good enough to start until his last year?

I’m sorry, but I don’t see it with this guy, reminds me a lot of Gabbert, a guy with all the “measurables” but lack of college production.

To be fair, I only saw probably 2 games of him (and he was very unimpressive), but heck he only started 13.

If my team needed a QB, I’d much rather have Watson, took on the best defense twice and put up amazing numbers, just cut down on INT’s.

8. butlers91 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:37 AM

It’s funny, because in the past, all QB’s in the draft had about 11-13 starts, because they rode the pine until their senior year, then they played. But now that is an issue. Sure, more starts are better, but 13 starts shouldn’t be a red flag.

9. rodgerstonelson says: Apr 27, 2017 8:39 AM

I have lots of experience playing Madden. Maybe I should be an NFL QB.

10. bettis3636 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:44 AM

IF he goes #1 to CLEV hes gonna face the roughest and toughest opponents 2 times a year… im not too sure hes excited about that.. i think he just wants the title of “1st over all selection”

11. electricfootballlivesmfcaforum says: Apr 27, 2017 8:53 AM

Why is this prospect talked about so highly over a proven winner in Deshaun Watson???? He admitted he hasn’t played under center since the 6th grade. Wasn’t that the #1 sticking point on qbs coming out? 13 starts is a big enough sample size over a prospect that lead his team to 2 straight championship games against the great Nick Saban and balled out twice, winning one. Yet flaws are all over his game….but “this trubisky kid”….

TYPICAL!

12. murphyslaw40 says: Apr 27, 2017 8:57 AM

And most 16 year olds claim that they are much more mature than their 16 years would suggest. Then they crash your car into the garage door.

Browns, don’t give your keys to this guy.

13. joemammy says: Apr 27, 2017 8:58 AM

Welcome to Cleveland.

14. exinsidetrader says: Apr 27, 2017 9:07 AM

The guy has poor judgment: He should be saying everything possible NOT to be drafted by Cleveland.

15. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Apr 27, 2017 9:10 AM

NFL defenses will eat him alive.

16. sameer1138 says: Apr 27, 2017 9:18 AM

“I performed so well in mop-up duty for two years that it’s pretty much like I’ve started 100 games.”

17. RandyinRoxbury says: Apr 27, 2017 9:21 AM

Wasn’t the same thing said about Tannehill?lol

18. highhardheat says: Apr 27, 2017 9:34 AM

Trubisky # 1? Another Cleveland mistake for the history books. What a stupid owner the Browns have…more interested in selling T-Shirts for a hometown boy than improving the team long term.
    Dope.

19. boiler72 says: Apr 27, 2017 9:41 AM

maddmatter5 says:
    Apr 27, 2017 8:36 AM

__________________________________

College football defenses are a joke, compared to the NFL. You put the Cleveland Browns up against Alabama or Clemson and the Browns will absolutely destroy them. Boys against men is no contest, which is why the draft and every player in it, is a crapshoot – you just don’t know until they play against the best.

20. savethebs says: Apr 27, 2017 9:43 AM

——————————
    Um the defenses in that division haven’t been that great for a while now.

21. savethebs says: Apr 27, 2017 9:46 AM

__________________________________

———————————————————–
    Fair enough but he’s comparing 2 QBs that played against college defenses. The only evidence we have is what they did against college defenses. I’ll take the one that destroyed the best college defenses (and THE BEST college in the biggest games). What did “Mitchell” do against average defenses?

22. idun215 says: Apr 27, 2017 9:50 AM

Cam Newton may have had only 1 year as a starter but lets look at the facts. He was already highly rated QB he was gonna be the starter at Florida but got into some trouble then led a JUCO team a championship then became the starter at Auburn the following year. Trubisky has been at North Carolina for 4 years and only was a starter for 1 full season that alone would both me.

23. sfsugator says: Apr 27, 2017 9:56 AM

Brady Quinn 2.0

24. rmac71 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:01 AM

Ok if he says so…

25. maddmatter5 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:01 AM

boiler72 says:
    Apr 27, 2017 9:41 AM

__________________

Oh I agree completely, but Alabama arguably has the best defense in the NCAA, so we at least know Watson can rise to the occasion. But, you’re right, an NCAA defense is nothing like a NFL defense. I’d still rather go with the guy that proved himself in college over the guy who has the “intangibles”

26. therealtrenches says: Apr 27, 2017 10:09 AM

Anybody who passes on Deshaun Watson for this guy is inviting regret in through the front door.

27. Underdawgs says: Apr 27, 2017 10:17 AM

__________________

_____________________________

Tim Tebow killed every college defense he played against too. So did Vince Young. Doesn’t mean it translates…

28. jgedgar70 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:20 AM

I live in Charlotte, which is big-time Tar Heel country. I get force-fed Tar Heel games far more often than I’d like (not a big fan of ACC football in general). The reason Trubisky didn’t start prior to last year is that Marquise Williams was a very dynamic player, a perfect fit for the offense UNC was running. Once Williams was gone, Trubisky got his shot and did fairly well.

He’s going to be a decent NFL QB. He’s accurate, not prone to turnovers (that bad throw in the Sun Bowl notwithstanding), has good command of the huddle, and his mobility is adequate. The NFL player he reminds me of most is Brad Johnson – he’s never going to the HOF, but he does have a ring because he had a dominant defense in Tampa. I see the same for Trubisky. In the right situation, on a team with a great defense, he can hang around and have a decent career. But he is not a franchise QB you build around, and certainly not someone you spend a top 10 pick on.

The Browns should take Garrett and let the rest of the top 11 play out and get Trubisky at 12. If someone else panics and takes him, just play with Osweiller this year and get one of next year’s much better QBs.

29. wny49er says: Apr 27, 2017 10:27 AM

Top five picks will be all defensive players.

30. mogogo1 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:37 AM

It’s not just the limited starts. His footwork will need tons of work because he basically played every down in the shotgun. He’ll need to learn pro-style offense and how to read defenses. He’s the poster child for “Great upside if you let him sit and learn for a couple years” but Cleveland will want/need to have him playing from Day 1 so he’ll be ruined and labeled a bust if he goes there.

31. fin72 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:40 AM

Mitch.

32. Big_Mike392 says: Apr 27, 2017 10:48 AM

Wow I didn’t realize he had only started for one year. I was already surprised to see this guy at the top of the QB list because I had never heard of him until mock draft season. It really blows my mind how this guy came out of nowhere to be a potential top-5 pick. I say bust.

By the way – I say top 5 – I don’t think he’ll go #1, but the Titans could trade #5 to the Browns or another team that needs a QB.

33. edavidberg says: Apr 27, 2017 10:56 AM

Aaron Rodgers only started 16 games. Also, Trubisky backed up a QB who was second team All ACC. It’s not easy to get a coach to bench a guy that good.

I think he’s the best prospect in the draft but I wouldn’t take him over Myles Garrett.

34. Akula says: Apr 27, 2017 11:08 AM

Cleveland and its ilk are the perfect example of a need for a soccer relegation system in the NFL. You can`t keep putting in zero effort and not have a clue what your doing and still share in our revenue. OFF TO THE CFL WITH YOU !!

35. weepingjebus says: Apr 27, 2017 11:10 AM

13 starts, possible No. 1 overall pick. Brady — 2 year starter, led Michigan on epic comeback against Alabama in Orange Bowl, almost not drafted at all because he looks goofy when running in sweat shorts. Ladies and gentlemen, the “experts.”

36. ksiner says: Apr 27, 2017 11:11 AM

Don’t worry, that won’t matter in Cleveland where your career will be over after about 48 starts

37. huskersrock1 says: Apr 27, 2017 11:30 AM

This guy is a late 1st early to mid 2nd any other year.

38. tylawspick6 says: Apr 27, 2017 11:42 AM

That’s because Newton was a Heisman trophy candidate and a run based QB with size.

And, let’s be honest, Cam Newton isn’t likely to win a SB anytime soon as he gets older and gets trapped into thinking he can still run and use his legs to be productive as a passer.

HIs accuracy is still not that great.

Trubsiky’s is, but NCAA reps and gamefilm is not the same as the NFL.

The fact he and other prospects don’t get this, remains a disturbing trend.

39. tylawspick6 says: Apr 27, 2017 11:44 AM

—————-

Yeah, and Rodgers went in the late 1st rd and sat behind Favre to learn.

Whoever the dopey franchise is, who takes Trubisky too high will not afford him that same luxury.

Let’s try to compare apples to apples here.

40. troylok says: Apr 27, 2017 11:55 AM

The thing about experience is, if you don’t have it, you can never be a reliable evaluator of how much you should have. You’d need experience to assess that.

41. mogogo1 says: Apr 27, 2017 12:25 PM

“Aaron Rodgers only started 16 games.”
    ___________

But Rodgers sat several years behind a Hall of Famer on a good team. Cleveland won’t have the luxury of having the top pick sit and they’ll have nobody decent for him to learn from. Not a recipe for success.

42. jimmysee says: Apr 27, 2017 12:32 PM

There’s a homeless guy in Cleveland somewhere whispering into the owner’s ear, “Take Trubisky! I gotta feeling.”

43. granadafan says: Apr 27, 2017 12:36 PM

electricfootballlivesmfcaforum says:
    Apr 27, 2017 8:53 AM
    Why is this prospect talked about so highly over a proven winner in Deshaun Watson???? 13 starts is a big enough sample size over a prospect that lead his team to 2 straight championship games against the great Nick Saban and balled out twice, winning one. Yet flaws are all over his game….but “this trubisky kid”….
    =====================================================

Some highly successful college QBs would like to have a word with you about college TEAM success translating to the pros: Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, AJ McCarron, Jason White, VInce Young, Johnny Manziel, (insert any Heisman QB from the state of Florida in the 90s and 2000s).

44. dsheik says: Apr 27, 2017 1:58 PM

Im not big on this Trubisky. At least not at this #1 talk. Its honestly a down year QB class, but there is potential with a couple of those guys. Carr was a better prospect than this whole class and he went in rd 2.

45. udub says: Apr 27, 2017 2:18 PM

Madden games in the dorm room don’t count as experience

46. thermalito says: Apr 27, 2017 3:08 PM

Avoid QB’s from gimmick college spread offenses.