Deshaun Watson: I’m not Michael Jordan, but I’m ready to work

Getty Images

When Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said quarterback Deshaun Watson would be the NFL’s version of Michael Jordan, even Watson himself thought that was a little crazy. But Watson is eager to do all he can to live up to his college coach’s confidence.

“It caught me off guard when Coach Sweeney said that,” Watson said today in his first press conference in Houston. “I’m not Michael Jordan, but I guess he sees greatness in me and hopefully in 10 to 15 years people can talk about my name like they do Michael Jordan.”

Watson said he’s eager to get to work for the Texans and learn from the team’s two veteran quarterbacks.

“It’s going to be a challenge, which is what I’m up for. I have a lot to learn so I’m just anxious to get here, get to work and learn from Brandon Weeden and Tom Savage, two guys I’m a huge fan of, who I’ve watched while they were in college,” Watson said.

Although he’s currently slated to be Savage’s backup, Watson said he’ll be a student of the Texans’ offense as he tries to earn playing time.

“Film study is the key to being a great quarterback,” he said. “To be detailed with that is key. I still have a lot to learn. I’m going to be a sponge when I get here and go to work.”

That’s what the Texans want to hear from their new franchise quarterback.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Deshaun Watson: I’m not Michael Jordan, but I’m ready to work”
  1. maust1013 says: Apr 28, 2017 3:43 PM

Nice to see getting slapped in the face twice last night didn’t leave and marks on him

2. dawoger says: Apr 28, 2017 3:47 PM

This kid has anger issues. He revealed his true character with his comments yesterday. Wait and see!

3. lewsblues says: Apr 28, 2017 3:53 PM

I always loved watching him play in college … he was always cool, calm and collected no matter what the situation … you never could tell what was going on by looking at his body language or face …

whether he had just taken a monster hit, thrown a poor ball, had one dropped or a thrown a touchdown … up by 21 or down by 24 … no gestures or nasty looks … always the same guy … just went on to the next play as if it were the first play of the game.

I think Houston got themselves a good one….

4. joetoronto says: Apr 28, 2017 4:02 PM

He’s already told us he has the brains of Tom Brady and the body of Cam Newton, but what part of Michael Jordan does he have?

Loser alert.

5. tylawspick6 says: Apr 28, 2017 4:15 PM

lol

this guy’s got bust written all over him

talks way too much

6. rjwalnuts says: Apr 28, 2017 4:32 PM

Clearly he has a problem with telling the truth. No one is a huge fan of Tom Savage or Brandon Weeden.

7. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Apr 28, 2017 4:39 PM

This is good…because Michael Jordan was a lousy Quarterback !

8. yankeemofo says: Apr 28, 2017 4:40 PM

Too bad Tom Brady is already the Michael Jordan of the NFL…

9. pawpwr says: Apr 28, 2017 4:41 PM

Loser alert.
    _______________________________________

Nice try, but wrong Deshaun. Try to know the facts before you call him a loser. Actually, he’s an MVP for a National Champ!

10. realfootballfan says: Apr 28, 2017 4:41 PM

Watson pouring it on a little thick with the “I’m a huge fan” quotes.

11. theotherpatrick says: Apr 28, 2017 4:42 PM

joetoronto says:
    Apr 28, 2017 4:02 PM

Loser alert.

Kizer from Notre Dame said this, not Watson.

12. 26predator says: Apr 28, 2017 5:07 PM

It’s not a popular position here, but he wasn’t the only one perplexed by being leapfrogged by two other QBs. But hey, maybe some humble pie is just what the doctor ordered.

13. gbrim20 says: Apr 28, 2017 5:07 PM

Huge fan of Tom Savage and Brandon Wheeden, two of the greats.

Hey, you don’t want to shoot too high. Shoot for the sun you might get burned.

14. liparulos says: Apr 28, 2017 5:17 PM

I’ll leave the nit-picking for others. As a Houston Texans fan, I have to see this as a huge improvement on the Brock Osweiler experiment, and likely to get fellow Clemson product DeAndre Hopkins back on track.

15. Drunk Uncle says: Apr 28, 2017 5:27 PM

It was foolish to pass on him. Watson will have the last laugh over Mitch and Pat and those who passed over him.

16. draculalambert says: Apr 28, 2017 5:28 PM

the next Vince young/Tyrod Taylor clone.

17. 1910nuffsaid says: Apr 28, 2017 5:33 PM

Deshon Kizer is the one who compared himself to Brady and Newton. Do your homework before you post

18. 1trojan33usc says: Apr 28, 2017 6:00 PM

Keep hating on the man, believe me not a problem. He will be the MOST SIGNIFICANT quarterback and have the most positive impact of all the QB’s in this season’s draft. “Write it DOWN”

19. bluenose1965 says: Apr 28, 2017 6:11 PM

joetoronto says:
    Apr 28, 2017 4:02 PM

Loser alert.
    __________________________________________________
    Wrong guy, but we appreciate you giving us an alert that you were posting.

20. dregonspengler says: Apr 28, 2017 6:21 PM

1trojan33usc says:

Maybe he will, maybe he won’t.
    Either way, why would I waste my time writing down something I don’t take seriously, and don’t care enough to revisit even if he does turn out to be the best?
    Presumably, you want us to “write it down” so we can marvel at your insight should you turn out to be right. Does that mean you’ll be here to remind of us of your prediction and admit you were wrong if he doesn’t?
    Of course not. You’ll disappear into the woodwork, just like every other poster that makes bold guarantees he can’t back up. I see a dozen of them here every day.

21. abninf says: Apr 28, 2017 6:38 PM

Easy on the MJ talk. The Texans have no history of being able to develop a championship caliber quarterback. None. Every one has been a bust. If you give me a thumbs down then name just one.

22. remembertheagenda says: Apr 28, 2017 6:47 PM

Thats full on BS.

Neither Tom Savage nor Brandon Weeden have fans at all.

23. laserw says: Apr 28, 2017 6:57 PM

Michael Jordan did not play football so why even bother bringing up his name?

You should have said you’d like to be Doug Williams – he was a real pro football QB and not a running fool.

24. denverscott says: Apr 28, 2017 7:04 PM

dregonspengler says:
    Apr 28, 2017 6:21 PM
    1trojan33usc says:

Maybe he will, maybe he won’t.

Give the kid credit, he didn’t say book it.