DeDe Westbrook denies being kicked out of a Scouting Combine interview

Getty Images

After the Jaguars picked receiver Dede Westbrook in the fourth round of the draft, ESPN’s Todd McShay said a team kicked Westbrook out of one of the 15-minute Scouting Combine interviews.

Westbrook denies that.

“I don’t think I was necessarily kicked out of a Combine interview,” Westbrook told reporters after he was picked.

Asked more broadly what happened, Westbrook said, “I have no idea. I’m not aware of that.”

G.M. Dave Caldwell separately said Westbrook has “no margin for error” regarding off-field issues, and Westbrook agrees.

“At the end of the day that’s up to me, and I’ve overcome adversity many times in my life and it’s just another chance for me to overcome it,” Westbrook said. “I thank the Jacksonville Jaguars for giving me the opportunity to do that in their organization.”

Caldwell added that Westbrook likely will play in the slot, and that he could have the same type of role as 2016 Chiefs draft pick Tyreek Hill.

“This is a guy that was a Biletnikoff Award winner, fourth in the Heisman running, averaged 18 yards per catch,” Caldwell said. “He is a punt returner. He is a dynamic athlete, speed and with the ball in his hands. Sitting there in the fourth round, he was a guy sticking out there on the board.”

So how did they get past the off-field issues, which included multiple allegations of criminal wrongdoing?

“We did a lot of work on it,” Caldwell said. “All the way back to his high school days. We have some really good sources there at Oklahoma that I have known for a long period of time. The football aspect of it is really good. Obviously he has had some issues early in his career. We feel that is behind and that has to be behind him.”

Caldwell sounds comfortable with the potential for scrutiny arising from the decision to pick Westbrook.

“I think we have done our due diligence enough to realize that is behind him and that, like we said, all of those charges were dropped,” Caldwell said. “I think we all have been accused of things, not all of us, but many of us have been accused of things. We don’t take it lightly. Obviously it is a serious issue, and we just feel like at this point in time to give the kid a chance to make it right.”

If he doesn’t, he won’t be in Jacksonville for long. And the Jaguars will have wasted a fourth-round pick.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “DeDe Westbrook denies being kicked out of a Scouting Combine interview”
  1. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Apr 29, 2017 2:28 PM

Heartwarming story. Let’s hope DeDe isn’t spotted partying with Pacman when the Bengals come to town in Nov.

2. dg0122 says: Apr 29, 2017 2:46 PM

Not beating up women any more is not “overcoming adversity ” it’s called being a normal citizen and not a criminal.
    But at least he was in a criminal-coddling, protective environment under the care of Warden Stoops along with his other star pupil Mixon…nice program you’re running tbere

3. swagjag says: Apr 29, 2017 3:38 PM

The Jags have a great track record with Biletnikoff winners who played college football in the state of Oklahoma.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 29, 2017 4:03 PM

That sounds like a Coughlin picks. Win at all costs. David Caldwell is a decent guy, he wouldn’t have made the decision, but gets sent out to defend it.

5. egomaniac247 says: Apr 29, 2017 4:14 PM

Good lord i have never seen a draft with the phrase “off field issues” used more frequently with players.

6. captainwhodat says: Apr 29, 2017 4:26 PM

I don’t think I was necessarily kicked out of a Combine interview,” Westbrook told reporters after he was picked…translation: I left on my own accord…I always do that while being interviewed for a job…

7. svanablak says: Apr 29, 2017 5:03 PM

Nobody knows what happened at the combine except that team & DeDe. Give the guy a break let’s see what happens when he has a pocket full of cash and the world at his fingetips!

8. dadsource says: Apr 29, 2017 5:55 PM

Let’s see: Matt Jones, Justin Blackmon, R Jay Soward, Reggie Williams…..knocking out those WR picks, J-ville.

9. jaxcliff says: Apr 29, 2017 8:33 PM

dadsource said:
    | Let’s see: Matt Jones, Justin Blackmon, R Jay Soward,
    | Reggie Williams…..knocking out those WR picks, J-ville.

Lets see: in the last few years Alan Robinson, Alan Hurns, Marquis Lee, Rashad Greene, Bryan Walters … having no clue what the hell you’re talking about, dadsource.

10. marty2020 says: Apr 30, 2017 7:21 AM

God forbid we waste a 4th round pick. Like we’ve never done that before.

11. jags2daship says: May 1, 2017 9:58 AM

4th round picks were made to waste. If he wants to make money he behaves. If not adios chachi

12. bill14224 says: May 1, 2017 10:49 AM

If this guy stays out of jail I’ll be amazed.