Jake Butt has no regrets

Getty Images

Michigan tight end Jake Butt slid to round five round in the draft, due in large part to a torn ACL suffered during the Orange Bowl, his final college game. He has no second thoughts about the decision to play one more game.

“I’ll never regret playing in a football game in my life,” Butt told reporters on Saturday after being drafted by Denver. “I don’t play football because of the money or the fame or the hype or anything. I play football because it’s what I love to do. I was dedicated to my team at Michigan. I’m going to be a dedicated Denver Bronco, and it’s never going to cross my mind to sit out of a game because of money or any other possibility. I’m out there and I’m going to give it my all every time I step on that field. I still have absolutely no regrets, and again, I’m just happy it worked out like this because I’m a Denver Bronco.”

As to his much-publicized loss-of-value insurance policy, that according to ESPN will pay him $543,000, Butt says it’s not quite that simple.

“I’ve been following that insurance policy, and it’s really not completely accurate,” Butt said. “There’s a lot more that’s going into that than what’s being tweeted today. I really don’t know. It could be ‘X’ amount of dollars. It could be ‘Y’ amount of dollars. There’s so much more that will go into it than I’m able to understand right now, and that’s going to be something that I have to speak to with my agent and my dad and some lawyers about.”

He ultimately may need to hire some lawyers and direct those lawyers to file some lawsuits, because rarely if ever does an insurance company spit out huge money without red tape, delay, and/or multiple threshold efforts to deny or limit payment.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Jake Butt has no regrets”
  1. postintelligence says: Apr 29, 2017 5:41 PM

Breaking: Butt not hurt by draft slide

2. florida76 says: Apr 29, 2017 5:49 PM

Jake Butt didn’t play one more game, that Orange Bowl was officially part of the Michigan 2016 football season, and was far from a meaningless exhibition.

Butt and Dalvin Cook understand if a real competitor is 100%, there’s no logical reason to miss the final game of any season. This isn’t tennis, where a player is free to pull out of any tournament they please. In team sports, players play, and competing against quality teams is helpful for improvement.

This new idea of choosing when to play and when to quit is a terrible notion. Choosing to bail on your team just because the bowl doesn’t involve the national championship is feeble.

3. nflviewer says: Apr 29, 2017 6:16 PM

I played Division I college football. I didn’t have the chance to play pro, but there are about 10 guys from my school in the NFL now.

I have complete respect for any college athlete who intends to go pro who stops playing early to avoid injury. The only thing that might annoy me is if a teammate said he was going to play and then backed out the morning of a game. But if the guy decided well in advance of the last game of the season, or the last couple, that he wasn’t going to play in order to avoid injury, that would be fine with me. I’d wish him the best with making it in the NFL.

If I was an NFL GM, it wouldn’t bother me at all that a player didn’t play in a bowl game in order to avoid injury. I think any sensible successful NFL GM feels the same way (there is one NFL GM from my school today, and two assistant GMs).

4. stealthscorpio says: Apr 29, 2017 7:01 PM

Come on…Let loose with the butt puns…We all know you want to! PFT has totally sold out!

5. HamburglaryInProgress says: Apr 29, 2017 7:31 PM

No ragrets!

6. dapell says: Apr 29, 2017 7:41 PM

If the NCAA was serious about student athletes and what’s best for them, the schools could provide these for kids who are obvious draft picks who decide to stay and graduate. No chance that will ever happen though.

7. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Apr 29, 2017 7:54 PM

So his insurance policy will pay him somewhere between zero and $543,000, minus the $500,000 he’ll pay the lawyers. Got it.

8. doctorrustbelt says: Apr 29, 2017 8:23 PM

2 tds in four seasons vs. OHIO STATE.

0 tds in junior and senior seasons vs. OHIO STATE.

No regrets.

9. imaduffer says: Apr 29, 2017 8:46 PM

“It could be ‘X’ amount of dollars. It could be ‘Y’ amount of dollars.”
    Do Not say this in the locker room because you could confuse some of your teammates.

10. ChampKind813 says: Apr 29, 2017 9:03 PM

So can we call him the Butting Bronco? — Or He really puts the Butt in the Tight end position. — The Butt stops here. — He already has the best proctologist name ever, ya know in case the football thing doesn’t work out. Right this way Dr. Butt will see you now.

11. craniator says: Apr 29, 2017 9:07 PM

What Denver needs to do now is to go out and sign former Alabama and Indianapolis Colts TE Brad Smelly — he and Butt would make one heck if a one/two punch.

12. heynow16 says: Apr 29, 2017 9:41 PM

But…

13. sire703 says: Apr 29, 2017 10:10 PM

florida76 says:
    Apr 29, 2017 5:49 PM

———————————————

I think this is the most idiotic thing I have every read.

14. fiddlinred says: Apr 29, 2017 10:25 PM

Hear, hear!

15. bighoser says: Apr 30, 2017 1:25 AM

Whatever he makes of his career, he already has the perfect name:
    “Jake Butt, the Tight End who likes to go deep and long”.
    – Thanks. I’m here all week!

16. rolli1967 says: Apr 30, 2017 3:04 AM

If he fumbles do we also call him butt-fumble or is that one for only Sanchez…..lol

17. wolverineinnc says: Apr 30, 2017 9:33 AM

Jake was a great player at Michigan. His talent and plays helped us win many of those games last year. We’re going to miss him big time. Good luck in Denver, Mr. Butt. You’re one of the really good guys!

18. timmmah10 says: May 1, 2017 12:14 PM

Butt was insured. Interesting. The second most famous insured butt behind, of course, J Lo.