Jamaal Charles: “I always wanted to play for Denver”

Getty Images

A lot of the goodwill Jamaal Charles built up in nine years in Kansas City might have just gone out the window.

The new Broncos running back revealed his true colors in a conference call this afternoon, admitting that his new boss was more than just a guy signing his checks.

I always wanted to play for Denver,” Charles said, via Andrew Mason of the team’s official website. “Growing up, John Elway was one of my favorite players.”

Now, he gets to face the team which cut him twice a year, and it sounds like he relishes the opportunity.

“They say it’s a business, but it’s personal as well,” he said. “It is what is.”

Of course, there’s also the small matter of his health. Charles admitted he wasn’t ready last year, but has since had the knee cleaned up and is ready to go this season.

“I still feel like I can play ball and still keep up with the young people,” he said.

Charles played in just eight games and had 404 yards the last two seasons because of persistent knee problems, but the Broncos believe he can help their backfield. If he’s healthy, that may be the case, and the Oct. 30 trip to Kansas City for Monday Night Football and the Dec. 31 regular season finale in Denver will be that much more interesting.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
85 Responses to “Jamaal Charles: “I always wanted to play for Denver””
  1. aliveguy24 says: May 2, 2017 7:07 PM

Of course you did. This reminds me of when TJ Hosyourmama was a free agent. He went on a radio show tour and which ever city he was talking to was the team he’s always wanted to play for.

2. therealtrenches says: May 2, 2017 7:08 PM

Wow. Like a dagger through the hearts of Chefs fans.

3. waynefontesismyfather says: May 2, 2017 7:12 PM

Ouch! #ScorchedEarthProject just came out of his mouth.

4. mzew233 says: May 2, 2017 7:12 PM

Will they beat New England?

Sadly. no they will not.
    See you November 19th for Tom’s Farewell game.

5. seventy72tooz says: May 2, 2017 7:13 PM

Everyone wants out of trailerville Missouri

6. More Cowbell says: May 2, 2017 7:14 PM

….unless New England had been willing to offer.

7. ctchiefsfan says: May 2, 2017 7:14 PM

Very pished-off Chiefs fan right here. I understand he wants to make a buck but that comment was totally uncalled for.

8. milehighcityboss says: May 2, 2017 7:15 PM

I mean…. who wouldn’t…. Go Broncos!

9. murph2432 says: May 2, 2017 7:16 PM

———————————

The reasons he said that was because he was a Broncos fan growing up

10. lesterhayesstickyicky says: May 2, 2017 7:17 PM

I love those Denver Benjamins!!!

11. Iknowitall says: May 2, 2017 7:18 PM

He will NEVER be remembered by me as a Kansas City Chief from this moment on.

12. td30 says: May 2, 2017 7:19 PM

ctchiefsfan says:
    May 2, 2017 7:14 PM

———————-

I was going to say it’s a waste of energy to get mad since Charles played great when he was a Chief (and healthy) so its not like it affected his performance.

but then i remembered hating Eddie Royal when he hopped to the chargers and said similar things so…hate away

13. youdrivemenutseagles says: May 2, 2017 7:23 PM

“I always wanted to play for *insert name of team that signs me, here*.”

14. ihavepriors says: May 2, 2017 7:24 PM

Wow! Surprising negative comment against a team that adored him. Anyway, welcome to Denver JC. We got Neil Smith, another KC defector two rings, we will try to do the same for you. I know KC won a SB. Was that back in the 50’s?

15. trentdilfer08 says: May 2, 2017 7:24 PM

Shut up no you didn’t….I needed another sucker to give me a contract to play 4 games. Probably because Ive pissed all my money away. Crap quarterback = 8 in the box..obviously I need some money will say anything to get it = washed up!

16. screamingyellowzonkers says: May 2, 2017 7:29 PM

Packer fans are mystified. They assume every player wants to play for the packers.

17. murph2432 says: May 2, 2017 7:29 PM

——————
    “….Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Hate some more about this move! Go Broncos!

18. IMHIM says: May 2, 2017 7:31 PM

Can you blame him?? LOL.

19. sinsor13 says: May 2, 2017 7:35 PM

LOL Not to long ago every Bronco fan on here was saying he was done, washed up, not the same…… Now though, they are all excited. I believe it was Bill Parcells who said, RB’s are like tires, once the tread is worn off, you can’t retread them.

20. boltjolt says: May 2, 2017 7:35 PM

Yeah , sure he did lol.

21. youknowiknowitall says: May 2, 2017 7:37 PM

He’s all done and will never play a down in DEN.

22. f1restarter says: May 2, 2017 7:41 PM

screamingyellowzonkers says:

———————————————

Well, they do.

23. jjfootball says: May 2, 2017 7:49 PM

Yeah, right

24. jjfootball says: May 2, 2017 7:54 PM

Should have retired he’s done!

25. primemundo says: May 2, 2017 7:57 PM

who’s going to have a better year CJ Spiller or Charles?

26. war27 says: May 2, 2017 8:03 PM

I’m so happy Denver was the team that doesn’t know it yet, I’m done.

27. primemundo says: May 2, 2017 8:06 PM

Maybe that fumble against Denver was on purpose?????? That’s messed up Jamal.

28. sc5000 says: May 2, 2017 8:08 PM

You want to disown Charles, because YOUR franchise cut him?! You’re a special kind of stupid aren’t you.

29. denverscott says: May 2, 2017 8:09 PM

Burrrrn!

30. pastabelly says: May 2, 2017 8:10 PM

Sounds like Noonan to Judge Smails in Caddyshack.

31. dedxx says: May 2, 2017 8:10 PM

No reason to post a nasty retaliation comment over his “I always wanted to play for Denver” comment. The best ability a pro athlete on a team can have is availability. The guy hasn’t done squat the past two years, but ride the bench and draw a check. Your favorite team has little to no faith in you incase you missed it Jamaal. The 1 year 3.75 mil is half of what AP got from the Saints. That speaks volumes about what the Broncos think and with nobody knocking on your door with a contract, the NFL in general thinks about you. The guy can say whatever, but thankfully he’s not a Chief problem anymore…he’s now a Bronco liability and basicly leaves them with a 52 man roster. Good luck with that.

32. radrntn says: May 2, 2017 8:12 PM

well i can understand why a mule would want to be with a bunch of other mules.

33. tylawspick6 says: May 2, 2017 8:13 PM

what a tool

denver cap cheats are frauds witb peds as well

34. bordner says: May 2, 2017 8:24 PM

screamingyellowzonkers says:
    May 2, 2017 7:29 PM

——————–
    An article in early May… about a player who used to play for the Chiefs and was signed by the Broncos… and of course… there’s a viking fan commenting about the Packers on it.

For those of you who are Chiefs or Broncos fans – this is a classic example of living rent-free inside your opponent’s fans’ head. Year-round.

35. nomoreseasontix says: May 2, 2017 8:24 PM

Guy can’t be too bright. This means he gets pounded by Mack twice a year.
    Granted, it would usually be a safety that clocks him, but I’m taking poetic license.

36. gooboy6 says: May 2, 2017 8:33 PM

That Monday night last second fumble that handed the Broncos the win makes a lot more sense now…

37. abninf says: May 2, 2017 8:34 PM

No, you always wanted to play for the Cowboys, as most do, but I understand why you said what you did.

38. nhpats says: May 2, 2017 8:37 PM

What is Charles supposed to say? “I wish I was still playing in KC”? or how about “I just hope Aqib doesn’t shoot me”?

No story here….he will be lucky to stay healthy through the pre-season….let alone through 16 regular season games….

39. screamingyellowzonkers says: May 2, 2017 8:43 PM

bordner says:
    May 2, 2017 8:24 PM

——————————–
    Really? Read this:

f1restarter says:
    May 2, 2017 7:41 PM
    screamingyellowzonkers says:

———————————————

Well, they do.

——————————-
    To Bronco and Chief fans….this is what packer fans really think. They have no life outside packer land.

40. taintedsaints2009 says: May 2, 2017 8:45 PM

why would he hold something against the chiefs? dude was always injured.

41. tonebones says: May 2, 2017 8:53 PM

Denver signed Peyton Manning when they didn’t know for sure if he’d ever play another down. Sometimes those gambles pay off. Peyton Manning put another Lombardi Trophy in the case. Maybe Charles can help with another. Got rings?

42. elwayisgod says: May 2, 2017 8:54 PM

And this is a no risk signing. It’s 900K with 100K workout bonus. If he’s dine then cut and walk away. If he hits 3.75 mil, then we scored….

43. silentbenstrikesback says: May 2, 2017 8:55 PM

Jamaal “3 fumbles a game” Charles. I am sure you’ll try throwing someone there under the bus for your mistakes.

As a Chief’s fan, enjoy your next IR or cut from roster. It is inevitable. Thanks horseface for signing that diva, it is your problem now.

44. nhpats says: May 2, 2017 8:59 PM

silentbenstrikesback says:
    May 2, 2017 8:55 PM

———–

The Pats lose players to another team (for example Bennett or Revis)….Pats fans thank him and wish him well….. KC loses a guy and they trash him. Classy

45. badmoonrison says: May 2, 2017 8:59 PM

Jamaal Charles aka Glass Joe

46. TomsulasMustache says: May 2, 2017 9:04 PM

when he goes down in week 2 and his career is over, this will all be forgotten

47. huskersrock1 says: May 2, 2017 9:05 PM

“I’ve always wanted to be a golf club.”

48. ihavepriors says: May 2, 2017 9:06 PM

Well, I guess this means JC doesnt make the Chiefs Tee Pee HOF. And for those of you who havent been to KC, dont go. Terrible, dirty cloudy town. Good que though, N. Carolina much better. KC women all look like hairy auto mechanics. No lie!

49. jjackwagon says: May 2, 2017 9:27 PM

Sadly, he will probably be on IR before Houston & Berry have a chance to strip the ball and score.

Enjoy that 4 game 200 yd season Donkey fans, may he fumble away as many games for you as he did for the Chiefs.

50. xiiprestige says: May 2, 2017 9:38 PM

Been a chiefs fan all my life and i got no problem with this, his fav player is elway and he always wanted to play for them, that is not a big deal. Hell a bronco player has the KC emblem tatted on him.

51. tfootball1234 says: May 2, 2017 9:38 PM

I think KC knows the pats are unbeatable as long as BandB are there. thats why they moved up for PM instead of building for the present and i hate new england.

52. shavemyheadandcallmefrankie says: May 2, 2017 9:43 PM

“Classless and disrespectful to every fan in Chiefs Nation who showed him love over the years. A slap in the face. He will NEVER be remembered by me as a Kansas City Chief from this moment on. Jamaal Charles has been disowned, and I pray the Kansas City Chiefs NEVER allow his name to be added to the Ring Of Honor.”

If this is that important to you, you may need to investigate getting a life.

53. QB Film Room says: May 2, 2017 9:56 PM

Lmao Trailer Ville, MO

54. IMHIM says: May 2, 2017 9:59 PM

Always wanted to play in KC….said no one ever.

55. folec says: May 2, 2017 10:36 PM

Dude is washed up…low risk though

56. mosesthejuggernaut says: May 2, 2017 10:37 PM

When Shannon Sharpe went to the Ravens and acted like he found the greenest grass that was ever planted beyond the fence after two Denver rings, I felt betrayed. He immediately won the Superbowl and played a starring role. Traitor. When he went into Canton…. It was either dusty or I was watching Rudy. He’s a Bronco. And JC is a Chief

57. broncosllbuckya says: May 2, 2017 10:37 PM

I’m looking forward to it, and I am sure there are tons of Bronco fans out there that feel the same. Welcome, and it’s time to bring it in a crowded, and talented, backfield!! Go Broncos!

58. ch1ggs says: May 2, 2017 10:46 PM

The guy that compared and contrasted Chiefs and Pats fans was spot on. New England fans wish someone well and Chiefs fans flip out begin burning his effigy.

And I’m a Denver fan, so I’ve got little love for either team. Still, a winner (Pats) is easily distinguishable from a loser (Chiefs).

That much is clear.

59. richardshermanhaschickenlegs says: May 2, 2017 11:14 PM

Two decades from now, when Siemian is in the HOF, you all will agree…The Patriots drafted Tom Brady too high.

60. jbaxt says: May 2, 2017 11:17 PM

Hope he makes the team… and he really needs to succeed now too. Nothing like bashing the only team you’ve ever played for and basically slamming thousands of fans who might be your only source of income, if you aren’t healthy. But ya, it’s a business.

The difference is the teams and their billionaire owners keep making billions no matter their business decisions, players… not so much!

Huge Chiefs fan, and I hate that he was cut and accept he’s going to Denver, just wish he would’ve kept his mouth shut.

61. drummer1279 says: May 2, 2017 11:30 PM

As a Raiders fan, I’ve always had a certain amount of respect for Charles as great player, even though he destroyed us many times. I have a decent amount of respect for the Chiefs and our historic rivalry, believe it or not. But to go to Bronco’s, and claim what he did is insane, with getting his name as a Chief.

I know the Raiders and Chiefs fans will never get along, understandably. But can we just once agree that Charles is a total DB, with that comment. I hope the rest of the AFC West steam-roll’s the Bronco’s and Charles this year. Yes, even the Chargers.

62. aj66shanghai says: May 3, 2017 1:14 AM

I understand the bitterness of Chiefs fans. It must stink to have these kinds of events that affirm that nobody wants to live in your awful state.

63. harril3 says: May 3, 2017 2:38 AM

Chef fans are SO SO salty over this…it is schadenfreudishly delicious salt, too. Popcorn, anyone?

64. broncosgreatestfan says: May 3, 2017 2:41 AM

Hahaha, gave it to the KC fans with no lube!

65. flipola says: May 3, 2017 4:10 AM

It’s sad to say, bc he was at one time a great player, but his candle faded fast.

66. n0funnystuff says: May 3, 2017 4:55 AM

Damn there is some salty, salty Chefs fans on here. It’s just a game don’t crap on the dude for wanting to get paid to do what he loves. KC bailed on him of Course he wants to shove it there face. I’m sure he appreciates the motivation. Even if he doesn’t play a down have a show respect.

67. nyneal says: May 3, 2017 5:44 AM

Sure he did. And he’d have said the same thing about any other team that would have signed him.
    It’s a good thing these guys’ noses don’t grow when they lie.

68. kcflake says: May 3, 2017 6:42 AM

When Jamall us hurt and can’t play after week 3, and gets cut, and tried to come back to KC to be honored, we will remember what he said about being a lifelong broncos fan. I hope the chiefs shut him down and sweep denver, again, like they did last year.

69. ihavepriors says: May 3, 2017 6:59 AM

I doubt he makes the final roster. Time to pump the brakes, Bronco fans.

70. thetooloftools says: May 3, 2017 8:24 AM

… or any other team that will pay me”.

71. wildcatmo says: May 3, 2017 8:55 AM

Hasn’t done Sh*t for the last two years.

72. dejadoh says: May 3, 2017 8:56 AM

Alright Chief fans, let’s start burning those Charles jerseys. That’s treason.

73. silvernblacksabbath says: May 3, 2017 8:59 AM

“No you did not!”

74. johnnyb612 says: May 3, 2017 9:17 AM

😂😂😂😂

75. boiler72 says: May 3, 2017 9:24 AM

No, but there’s probably more combined Super Bowl trophies and nine other world titles in Green Bay, than what resides in the town of your team. In fact … that’s a fact. So, don’t worry about it.

76. mortalkondek says: May 3, 2017 10:35 AM

The Chiefs cut him, did they not? And so people are crying about some false perception of loyalty? Here, have a tissue.

77. PFT is Lemmy's beach says: May 3, 2017 10:53 AM

Why wouldn’t he want to play at Mile HiGH? Free pass for PEDs.

78. mcdeez22 says: May 3, 2017 10:57 AM

Don’t take it personally, Chiefs fans. He’s just bitter and out to prove the Chiefs’ front office wrong. His beef is with them, not you. Time will heal all wounds.

79. superpatriotsfan says: May 3, 2017 11:03 AM

Wow his comment is so taken out of context. He just said it’s great to play for the Broncos since he really liked Elway as a kid. Do you snowflakes wake up, look in the mirror and say “what am I going to be offended by today?”

80. tindeaux says: May 3, 2017 12:25 PM

trust me. he couldn’t have said it otherwise.

81. zatoichi7 says: May 3, 2017 1:15 PM

why is anyone mad about his statement? no different than marshawn lynch always wanting to play for the raiders, or any other nfl player who lands with the team he cheered as a child. while he was in k.c., he gave his all for the chiefs, and he has the knees to prove it. the chiefs released him, he didn’t leave the chiefs.

82. moknowsbo says: May 3, 2017 2:23 PM

Love all the people decrying his lack of loyalty but have no problem with teams cutting guys under contract.

83. Joseph says: May 3, 2017 4:44 PM

“True colors”??? Come on, man. JC is an amazing person and player who gave KC his all. He’s got 1, maybe 2 big years left. I wish him nothing but the best. And it’ll be fun to see who carries the day between him and that awesome KC D. Go Chiefs!!

84. diehardfootballfan says: May 5, 2017 11:38 AM

Interpretation: Denver is the only one who will pay me any $$ green.

85. backuppunter says: May 7, 2017 1:49 PM

all the angry chiefs fans are stupid. this all makes sense. it made sense for the chiefs to cut him. it makes sense for denver to sign him. and it makes sense for charles to go somewhere that wants him. Charles was the best thing that had happened to the chiefs in sometim and was underpayed for several years. the chiefs cut him what is he supposed to do play for free or go to a team that actually wants him?