Woody Johnson: I’m patient if there’s progress

Getty Images

The Jets have said goodbye to a lot of veteran players this offseason and owner Woody Johnson said on Tuesday that he’s confident in General Manager Mike Maccagnan’s plan to “get younger, faster and get our players from the start and not rely so much on free agency.”

He expressed the same confidence in coach Todd Bowles and said that the two men are taking the team in “the direction I want” while calling this offseason a moment to “re-center the organization.” The re-centering may not result in a winning record in 2017 and the team isn’t set at quarterback, which led to a question about how much patience Johnson will have with the two men.

“I don’t want to use the word patient,” Johnson said, via Newsday. “I’m not patient for progress. We want to have progress. If we select the right guys and have progress with those guys, then I’ll be happy.”

Progress can be defined many different ways, which allows for a different point of view in January about the job Maccagnan and Bowles are doing than Johnson has right now. However it is defined, going 2-14 or 3-13 often makes it harder to find so avoiding a total collapse will be in the best interests of everyone around the Jets.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Woody Johnson: I’m patient if there’s progress”
  1. mzew233 says: May 2, 2017 4:31 PM

Most afc teams have to admit they won’t see progress for 2-3 years until after Brady retires.

2. seventy72tooz says: May 2, 2017 4:35 PM

The East is New England’s until Tommy Boy retires

3. waynefontesismyfather says: May 2, 2017 4:40 PM

Woody needs to follow the play of the Pagulas and show Bowels, I mean Bowles, the door.

4. omegalh says: May 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Jets should plan to 2020. Have a great team the year Brady hangs it up.

5. harrisonhits2 says: May 2, 2017 4:58 PM

“Woody Johnson: I’m patient if the sheep, I mean fans, keep the money rolling in. After all if the keep paying through losing season after losing season why should I cough up to make the team better?”

There, fixed his quote for him. One of the worst owners in the league. Feel sorry for the Jets fans.

6. jag1959 says: May 2, 2017 5:01 PM

That may well be the smartest thing we have ever heard him say other than when he told Rex he was fired.

7. chaseutley says: May 2, 2017 5:15 PM

One first place finish In 48 years is not progress.

8. hehateme2 says: May 2, 2017 5:31 PM

Woody, No progress since 1969. Sell the team already.

9. ricko1112 says: May 2, 2017 5:33 PM

Woody is more concerned with winning the back pages than he is with winning on the gridiron. There’s a lot of pressure to get to the top and then stay there. The Jets fans have no expectations of winning. As long as the seats are filled and fans are lining Woody’s pockets, why change?

10. redsea1111 says: May 2, 2017 5:35 PM

“Woody Johnson: I’m patient if there’s progress”

How would you read that if you knew nothing about football?

11. thegreatgabbert says: May 2, 2017 5:38 PM

I’m “patient” as long as I’ve got my ear buds in listening to tunes, have people texting me on my mobile device, and the game is on the big screen across the room. Oh, and food handy…

I think Wood needs to check up the meaning of the word.

12. magikskillz says: May 2, 2017 5:42 PM

Translation: I am fine with a rebuild as long as it does not take too long.

13. smokingthebowels says: May 2, 2017 5:47 PM

Axel Rose also said All you need is just alittle patience

14. gbrim20 says: May 2, 2017 5:55 PM

There’s progress Woody. You used to have 2 crappy QB’s, then you drafted Hack. Now you have 3. Next year you can get another one. Sounds like progress to me.

15. patriots123456 says: May 2, 2017 6:19 PM

I’m patient if there is progress.

If not I’ll meddle with another team’s players (Revis) cause Roger won’t punish us.

16. mikeytoth says: May 2, 2017 6:28 PM

Funny. You never hear that come out of Robert Kraft’s mouth. The Jets will never live up to any expectations. They have to be the worst run franchise in football.

17. fiddlinred says: May 2, 2017 7:13 PM

It is a young century.

18. j0esixpack says: May 2, 2017 7:15 PM

If only Trump would make Ambassador Woody Johnson take the Jets to the UK with him.

19. intrafinesse says: May 2, 2017 7:20 PM

Woody needs to fire the GM as well.
    Mike Maccagnan is a below average GM.
    I’ll withhold final judgement until after 2017, but if this rookie class is mediocre, then that 3 bad drafts in a row and he needs to go.
    Maccagnan is aging the team, or bringing in young scrubs, he’s not rebuilding it.

20. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: May 2, 2017 7:54 PM

The Jets are usually a joke, but I loved their Draft. Jamal Adams is the best player in the Draft, and Chad Hansen and Jordan Leggett are 2 really good players.

Jets are on the rise. If they could only get a QB they could be really good.

21. tylawspick6 says: May 2, 2017 8:19 PM

biggest moron i have ever seen

22. sychosam28 says: May 3, 2017 5:20 AM

When it com

23. sychosam28 says: May 3, 2017 5:21 AM

When it comes to football Woody is a buffoon!

24. cubancigar10 says: May 3, 2017 5:49 AM

J E T S
    Jerks
    Jerks
    Jerks

25. streetyson says: May 3, 2017 8:30 AM

US-British relations might suffer but on the upside the Jets might actually improve (well, suck a little less) if that old drunk stoner Woody becomes preoccupied as the Ambassasdor in London, spending his tax-dodged million$ he secreted in those off-shore Isle of Man accounts over there. Somehow though, it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if Brady is still playing after Woody’s ambassadorship collapses.

26. 345snarkavenue says: May 3, 2017 8:38 AM

coming from a guy that named one of his kids Jack Wood Johnson, I suppose anything is possible.

27. laffers says: May 3, 2017 8:47 AM

Unfortunately for the loyal fans of the Jets,the team will never go anywhere but down with Woody Johnson at the helm.
    A non-football guy like Woody making the decisions to hire GMs and head coaches can only result in disaster.

28. tommyribs says: May 3, 2017 3:43 PM

JETs have been trying to get Younger and Faster for 40 years it seems.