Verizon reaches deal to stream Ravens-Jags from London

Getty Images

The NFL struck a deal with Amazon to stream 10 Thursday night games during the 2017 season and they’ve found another partner to stream one of this year’s London games.

Verizon won the rights to stream the September 24 game between the Ravens and Jaguars that kicks off at 9:30 a.m. ET. Financial terms weren’t announced, but the Wall Street Journal reports that the price for the rights is $21 million. Yahoo paid $15 million to stream one of the London games during the 2016 season.

NFL senior vice president of digital media business development Vishal Shah said that the league hopes to learn about differences in the streaming audience with different distributors.

“Are we reaching incremental audiences? Are we reaching the millennial demo? What we want to continue to learn is who is consuming the live games,” Shah said.

Verizon plans to stream the game on its AOL platform, its mobile video service go90, and Complex.com. It may also stream on Yahoo if its acquisition of the company closes in time. Verizon, which will sell the national advertising for the Ravens-Jags game, also has an exclusive mobile distribution deal with the league that is coming to an end this year.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Verizon reaches deal to stream Ravens-Jags from London”
  1. TheCommish says: May 3, 2017 2:34 PM

I’ll gladly pay more on my wireless bill to get them NOT to stream a Jaguars game.

2. jimmyjohns01 says: May 3, 2017 2:38 PM

LOL…obviously the loser in this deal is Verizon. $21 million!

3. therealraider says: May 3, 2017 2:38 PM

Thank god. I dont know what I would have done had this deal not been reached.

4. lionsandvikingsandbearsohmy says: May 3, 2017 2:45 PM

I reached a deal with myself to totally not watch any of those teams’ games all year.

5. anarchopurplism says: May 3, 2017 3:01 PM

Meanwhile, YouTube is available on multiple hardware devices & on multiple carriers.

How is this good for all NFL fans in America?

Slippery slope NFL.

6. u4iadman says: May 3, 2017 3:06 PM

I dont know who would watch this but die hard fans of either team. Nobody else, unless they are in UK where the gen pop loves our football.

But to watch it here in USA…why? We dont watch the games anymore, just RedZone etc.

Too many commercials, time outs, penalties and NoFunLeague rules.

Oh, pats cheat.

7. brwmstr says: May 3, 2017 3:13 PM

GREAT!!!! one more way I won’t watch that garbage game!

8. ihavepriors says: May 3, 2017 3:17 PM

Watching games on cell phones is for millenials.

9. elyasm says: May 3, 2017 3:19 PM

Putting NFL games on AOL is really going to reach that millennial demographic. Genius move, Goodell.

10. seventy72tooz says: May 3, 2017 3:30 PM

Yawn fest, two lame teams

11. jgedgar70 says: May 3, 2017 3:34 PM

Ah, yes, another deal where you can only get the product from one provider. The US descent into Communism continues.

Thanks, Comrade Roger.

12. guitarkevin says: May 3, 2017 4:02 PM

Who watches football at 9:30 in the morning? What kind of food do I put out for my friends? Do I ask them to sleep over the night before? Do I serve mimosas and bloody maries? Why is the NFL messing with my game day rituals? WHY???

13. Does this look infected? says: May 3, 2017 4:10 PM

No thank you NFL, I’ll pass

14. tjacks7 says: May 3, 2017 4:19 PM

Couldn’t the NFL just cut out all of these businesses and make a mobile app and a smart TV app to stream the games live? I’d pay anything to get out of DirecTv.

15. badboysgetspanked says: May 3, 2017 4:21 PM

Who the hell wants to watch the games on a cell phone or notepad? I guess if that is your only option, it is better than nothing. I prefer my flat wide screen TV with Bose sound, cold beer in the fridge, food on the stove and good friends over. Sorry Rog, you have priced me out of going to the games and I really don’t miss the experience. Been there, done that.

Home sweet home is where I watch my team. I got tired of paying $120 for a tix, $50 for oarking, and $12 bucks for a beer. That is BS!

16. philtration says: May 3, 2017 4:23 PM

We do NOT want London football.
    Can you hear me now?

17. 23rdusernameused says: May 3, 2017 4:36 PM

$21 MIL for…..
    about 200-300 Ravens fans and all, every single one of them, the 37 Jag fans…
    =over $62K for those 337 fans! WHOOPS!

18. 400marios says: May 3, 2017 5:09 PM

I’m pretty sure this will not produce a bandwidth consumption issue for Verizon.

19. Southpaw says: May 3, 2017 5:13 PM

I don’t know how one early regular season game between the Ravens and Jags is valued at more than 21 mil… they plan on profiting money off that deal?

20. tylawspick6 says: May 3, 2017 5:55 PM

the ugly uniform bowl!

21. tylawspick6 says: May 3, 2017 8:56 PM

400marios says:
    May 3, 2017 5:09 PM

——-

considering no one will watch this game, that is
    doubtful

22. spartan01 says: May 3, 2017 9:00 PM

I didn’t know Verizon had streaming capabilities and other than AOL I’ve never before heard of their platforms before.

Thus I believe the idea the NFL wants to learn different streaming audiences is load of crap. If you wanted to reach mainstream audiences and millennials go to the platforms they use.

I’m a Ravens fan but I don’t plan on signing up for Verizon’s streaming services to watch the game.

23. walker1191 says: May 3, 2017 9:37 PM

Two teams with no shot at the playoffs shunted off to London? And I’m supposed to watch this?

24. briang123 says: May 3, 2017 10:13 PM

‘They are putting the game on AOL? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshaha!

Signed,

Netscape, MySpace, and pets.com

25. burtmustin says: May 3, 2017 10:48 PM

Based on how well they have been doing the last couple of years, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ravens start playing a game in London each season for the foreseeable future.

26. benwaballs11 says: May 3, 2017 11:19 PM

TracFone will be streaming the Vikings/Browns London game

27. Should I Be Offended by Redskins? says: May 3, 2017 11:45 PM

No doubt that blockbuster will be watched by dozens of fans.