Victor Cruz: “I’m just anxious to get on a team”

Getty Images

Free agency came and went with a hurry. Then the draft, and then the signing of undrafted rookies. Rosters are all close to being filled.

And Victor Cruz still doesn’t have a job, so the veteran wide receiver’s a little antsy about it.

Cruz told Zach Braziller of the New York Post he still thinks he can help a team and is eager to prove it.

I just want to play,” Cruz said. “I’m just anxious to get on a team, anxious to play some football and anxious to see where I end up.”

(And while many people confuse anxious with eager, his current lack of employment means Cruz has used it correctly at least in the first instance.)

The 30-year-old Cruz was released by the Giants in February. He missed most of 2014 and 2015 with injuries but had a solid year last season, with 39 receptions for 586 yards and a touchdown.

But other than a visit with the Panthers that came and went without a contract, we haven’t heard much from him. He said there had been other interest but declined an invitation to specify. He was willing to lobby the Jaguars, since old coach Tom Coughlin is running things there now.

“I’m all for it,” he said. “Any time you know someone and you know a coach like coach Coughlin and you know his pedigree and what he’s about, for him to be on another team, you’re always for that opportunity. . . .

“I’m just anxious to see someone that wants me on their team and I end up being there. It’s my first time being in this position, it’s my first time being in free agency. After being on a team for seven years, you never know what to expect. I’m just excited for this opportunity, excited to be ready, and see where I end up. You have to always stay ready, so you don’t have to get ready. That’s always been my motto.”

Of course, someone has to show they’re ready for Cruz to join them, and so far, that hasn’t happened.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Victor Cruz: “I’m just anxious to get on a team””
  1. stipez says: May 3, 2017 7:10 AM

Sounds like Saskatoon Roughrider talk to me.

2. tiller21 says: May 3, 2017 7:40 AM

Just out of curiosity, but if he manages to actually score a Touchdown this season. Is he going to do his lame salsa dance?

3. learysdisciples says: May 3, 2017 8:29 AM

Translation: I need a paycheck to afford my huge mortgage, cars and gold chains.

4. chrisdmv says: May 3, 2017 8:47 AM

The Cowboys should give him a Vet minimum 1 year contract to see what he still got in his tank since he a Cowboys fan and always wanted to play for the Cowboys.

5. randalpnaditch says: May 3, 2017 8:58 AM

The veteran minimum hurts guys like this

6. motsuret06 says: May 3, 2017 11:15 AM

This guy was one of the hottest receivers in pro football at one time and injuries and father time have derailed his stellar career. If the Panthers don’t want you at receiver, then you have real problems.

7. bkostela says: May 3, 2017 11:41 AM

He did not play well last year, particularly the second half of the season. In particular he looked slow, was unable to create separation, and had some bad drops.

I see him filling the role of slot receiver on a team short on wr depth. He does not run block or play special teams.

Best of luck Vic. Thanks for the memories.

8. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: May 3, 2017 11:49 AM

No team is going to want him after that Miami boat trip right before the playoffs.

9. QB Film Room says: May 3, 2017 12:44 PM

LOL what you mean Victor? NFL Wr’s fall off cliff bruh!!! James Jones is out of league for good after scoring like 9 TD’s in 2015!!!! Bruh!!!

10. norsehorse88 says: May 4, 2017 1:25 AM

His last tango has come and gone. They already put the chairs up on the tables in your dancehall buddy.