Glover Quin would like an extension with Lions

Getty Images

Safety Glover Quin signed a contract with the Lions in 2013 after hitting free agency and he’d like to avoid another trip to the open market after the 2017 season.

Quin is entering the final year of his deal and said Thursday that he and his representatives have “reached out” to the team about another one that would set him up to play out the rest of his career in Detroit.

“But I can’t control that,” Quin said, via Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “I don’t know if it’s going to happen, when it’s going to happen. My job, like I’’e always said since I’ve been here, since I’ve been in the league, I’m a player. I just play. I let the coaches coach, I let the managers manage and the trainers train. If they feel like I’ve deserve that and I’ve earned that, then they’ll make it happen. If not, then I’ll play my year in Detroit and I’ll say good-bye to your good people.”

Quin has started every game for the Lions since joining the team and has started 116 straight games dating back to his time with the Texans. That dependability and Quin’s 16 interceptions in Detroit may have contributed to the Lions’ decision to pass on safeties in the draft and could help his cause for a new contract.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Glover Quin would like an extension with Lions”
  1. lobos539 says: May 4, 2017 2:49 PM

Definitely one of the good guys. He deserves an extension and I’m sure Detroit will make it happen.

2. Before you hate, just make sure you refer to him as '2015 PRO BOWL MVP' Matthew Stafford says: May 4, 2017 2:54 PM

He knows what team and QB gives him the best shot at a ring in the next few years

3. bassplucker says: May 4, 2017 3:03 PM

In an era when more than half the teams in the NFL struggle to put one competent safety on the field – much less a tandem – Quin is one of the better ones and should get paid accordingly.

4. texansfan82 says: May 4, 2017 3:07 PM

The Texans made a massive mistake by letting this guy go. We had a delusional strategy to bring in Ed Reed with the expectation he would outperform what we could get from Quin. Instead we spent two years floundering at the position until we finally got some reinforcements last year.

Hopefully Quin gets his extension, though he’s starting to get up there in age.

5. beedubyatoo says: May 4, 2017 3:10 PM

Only when the Lions can get past Green Bay will Quinn be able to think bout a ring.

6. waynefontesismyfather says: May 4, 2017 3:11 PM

Pay the man.

7. godfatherd says: May 4, 2017 3:46 PM

I really like Glover Quinn and he has been a standout on the defense and one of the most consistent players on the team in his 4 years in Detroit. Pay him, but not more than 2-3 years, he’s going to be 32 at the end of the season.

8. ak185 says: May 5, 2017 3:41 AM

Acquire his successor, pay him for a few more years to help teach him, and when he retires, you should be set if it all works. This is one of those guys you want showing the ropes to a younger player.

9. ocdn says: May 5, 2017 9:05 AM

beedubyatoo says:
    May 4, 2017 3:10 PM

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    By the way, did we say thank you for TJ Lang?

10. detroitsportsfan11 says: May 8, 2017 12:34 PM

Not impressed with Glover, our secondary has played well under their over hyped level of skill.