Baseball’s fastest player wants to race John Ross for charity

Getty Images

The fastest player in the NFL is in Cincinnati, now that the Bengals have drafted John Ross, who set the record for the fastest 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine. The fastest player in Major League Baseball was already in Cincinnati in Reds centerfielder Billy Hamilton, who leads the league in stolen bases. So which man is faster?

Hamilton says he’s hoping to race Ross to find out.

“It’s something I look forward to. I’m a competitor, if something happens with him, it happens,” Hamilton said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We’ll do it for a charity event. I’m willing to do it.”

Ross’s 4.22 40-yard dash is far faster than Hamilton has ever run, but Hamilton believes he’s quite a bit faster than he was the last time he ran a timed 40, in ninth grade.

“I think we could do 40 and I think it’d be a good race for the city and for me and him to get our names out there,” Hamilton said. “It’s something we could look forward to looking into, our agents [could talk] and see how it goes.”

Ross has not yet responded.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Baseball’s fastest player wants to race John Ross for charity”
  1. jmscooby says: May 5, 2017 5:52 AM

Count me in too!

2. nyneal says: May 5, 2017 5:56 AM

I love this. Great idea and this kind of thing should be done more often. I’d love to see a competition between players from all the major sports. ABC used to do it in the 70’s with their series hosted by Howard Cosell. But they’d combine athletes to form teams with movie and tv stars. Still, that was fun to watch. I remember Joe Frazier, heavyweight boxing champ entered the swimming competition and he had never really learned how to swim. He went in the pool and was flailing like a wounded duck before they jumped in and bailed him out. That was funny.
    I’ll take Ross over Hamilton, simply because I think football players train more toward running a 40 than baseball players do.

3. truthinesshurts says: May 5, 2017 6:14 AM

The ABC show was called Superstars.

4. dptbs77 says: May 5, 2017 6:35 AM

They should get Pete Rose and Icky Woods to race too

5. Kolo Jezdec says: May 5, 2017 6:49 AM

Should have 2 races, one from goal line to goal line on a football field, the other around the bases on a baseball infield. Lowest cumulative time wins.

Just be careful no one pulls a hamstring…

6. dickshotdogs says: May 5, 2017 6:49 AM

Stoopid.

7. bartpkelly says: May 5, 2017 6:49 AM

NFL Pro Bowl – events against MLB All Stars

8. driftw00d says: May 5, 2017 7:02 AM

Was hoping it was Bartolo

9. ikeclanton says: May 5, 2017 7:23 AM

We should see if Mr. Bevilacqua, the high school gym teacher, is still available to officiate the race…

10. exinsidetrader says: May 5, 2017 7:30 AM

Great idea.
    Will increase the profile of both of them.

11. f22raptorguy says: May 5, 2017 7:31 AM

The fastest guy in MLB is Byron Buxton.

12. artvandelay919 says: May 5, 2017 7:32 AM

Bad idea. Why risk injuries?

13. xlivsaints says: May 5, 2017 7:34 AM

Usain Bolt in the homerun derby would be cool

14. rocketdogsports says: May 5, 2017 7:38 AM

Somebody always gets hurt.

15. bzingha says: May 5, 2017 7:41 AM

The Cincy Sprint-off

16. fballguy says: May 5, 2017 7:55 AM

Nolan Cromwell used to kick butt in that ABC competition.

17. greg3117 says: May 5, 2017 7:57 AM

90ft race, he might win!

18. kneedragr says: May 5, 2017 8:03 AM

I prefer the 100. The real speed demons hardly hit top gear by the end of the 40, as evidenced by only decent times for Justin Gatlin’s 40 time ( 4.4 ). Bolt is likely similar as he is a long strider that has a gear nobody can match, but isnt always great off the line.

19. tcostant says: May 5, 2017 8:14 AM

Isn’t Trea Turner of the Nationals, baseball’s fast player?

20. ddaniels11 says: May 5, 2017 8:23 AM

Why don’t they get the track kid from Tennessee who just ran some electronic 4.12 recently?

21. mongolchuck says: May 5, 2017 8:31 AM

Ross won’t run a 40 in that time again. He trained for months specifically for that. There is never a situation in the nfl where you can run 40 yards in a straight line unopposed. Baseball is running 90 ft, 30 yards, in a straight line. Ross may win but it will be close than people think.

22. meadowlandssports says: May 5, 2017 8:49 AM

nyneal says:
    May 5, 2017 5:56 AM

————————-
    You accidentally combined two different shows. “The Superstars” was strictly for the athletes, and they all competed as individuals. “Battle of the Network Stars” was for all the TV actors, and they competed as ABC, CBS, and NBC teams based on where their shows were broadcast.

23. kh221 says: May 5, 2017 8:52 AM

I think it would be a great idea. Too many athletes are just into making money for themselves these days. Fun for fans and for a great cause.

24. vottorific says: May 5, 2017 8:53 AM

I’d watch.

25. cincinnatikid13 says: May 5, 2017 8:57 AM

Cool idea. I would like to see them run both the 40 and the 60 since baseball players train for the 60 yard dash. Cool either way though.

26. ryanbaker0303 says: May 5, 2017 9:06 AM

I’m not sure how close it would be, but there is one thing that you have to remember. NFL players run 40 yard dashes that start when they cross the laser, there is no reaction time involved. I would be almost certain that Ross would have a faster 40 time by today’s measuring standards , but lining up next to somebody else and having to react to a starting gun makes it a “whole different ball game”.

27. haslamdrinkshisownpee says: May 5, 2017 9:17 AM

Seems like something fun for the fans and a great gesture to raise money for charity. That being said, MLB and NFL aren’t really about the fans or charity so it won’t happen. If he had suggested that all of the owners and commissioners could receive all of the profits off of this it stood a chance of happening.

28. walk929501 says: May 5, 2017 9:42 AM

Superstars. Man, that takes me back. Loved that show as a kid. Can’t see today’s athletes doing it because of injury risk and not enough money in it for them. Seems like it would be a great way to promote individual athletes though.

29. jm91rs says: May 5, 2017 9:48 AM

f22raptorguy says:
    May 5, 2017 7:31 AM

The fastest guy in MLB is Byron Buxton.
    ___________________________________

Nope. Billy Hamilton is faster. I’ve watched a lot of baseball. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Vince Coleman were the fastest I can remember, where they completely changed the game when they got on base. Obviously it’s just the eye test, but I don’t remember those guys changing the game as much as Billy Hamilton does. He’s so head and shoulders above anyone else playing today. Now if he could only figure out how to steal 1st.

30. nyneal says: May 5, 2017 9:55 AM

nyneal says:
    May 5, 2017 5:56 AM

————————-

_____________________________________

Thanks for the correction, and you are right! I used to watch both shows and the ones with the athletes was really fun.

31. flipola says: May 5, 2017 10:04 AM

Altuve’s faster.

32. savethebs says: May 5, 2017 10:19 AM

Why would John Ross do this? The last 40 he ran he pulled his hammy. Not a good idea.

33. pancaketaco says: May 5, 2017 10:34 AM

My guess is that both of their contracts state activities like these are prohibited.

34. fjw2 says: May 5, 2017 10:54 AM

A flying 40 is not a particularly good test of sprinting speed. You have to include the standing start to know who has explosive fast twitch muscles, and at least 50 meters for them to to get up to top speed.

Just do a 100 meter sprint like they do in every track meet. Then you can compare their times to what real sprinters lay down.

35. 345snarkavenue says: May 5, 2017 10:58 AM

maybe they could have a Goodell dunking booth too. Imagine the charity support they could provide.

36. 400marios says: May 5, 2017 11:02 AM

This is a great idea. Too bad Cleveland Indians can’t do this…with not having a pro football team & all…..

37. granadafan says: May 5, 2017 11:12 AM

truthinesshurts says:
    May 5, 2017 6:14 AM
    The ABC show was called Superstars.
    =========================================

Man, I missed that show.

Why is 40 yards the benchmark for speed? That’s just for football. In track, they run the 60m, 100m, and 200m.

38. dejadoh says: May 5, 2017 11:29 AM

I’d love to see Hamilton race Ross in his uniform hat and glove and Ross run with helmet and pads on. Not quite so fast.

39. youbettercallsaul says: May 5, 2017 11:29 AM

The loser gets an atomic wedgie from Mr. Heyman

40. buckifan4life says: May 5, 2017 12:07 PM

I like it! Especially the proceeds going to charity for kids! I think these kinds of competitions are great for the community as long as they are conducted respectfully.

41. 345snarkavenue says: May 5, 2017 12:15 PM

why do baseball managers wear a uniform? they don’t play on the field. imagine if they did that in other sports such as football, basketball and hockey?

of course, I suppose it would be odd to see a baseball manager in suit and tie, but a uniform?

42. averagepete says: May 5, 2017 12:32 PM

Ross would smoke Hamilton in full pads. Baseball speed has nothing on football speed.

43. azkailua says: May 5, 2017 1:29 PM

dickshotdogs says:
    May 5, 2017 6:49 AM
    Stoopid.

Slightly Stoopid………great band……..is that what you were trying to say? Cause saying this it’s stupid, is just not right.