Jay Cutler: I don’t know if retirement is the right word

Getty Images

Jay Cutler became the second quarterback this offseason to make the move from the field to the broadcast when FOX announced on Friday that he’ll be doing commentary on games for the network this season.

Cutler released a statement after the announcement on Friday thanking his family, coaches and others for their support during his playing career. Cutler also touched on whether or not he considers himself retired.

“I don’t know if retirement is the right word; I don’t feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL,” Cutler said. “You are either forced to leave, or you lose the desire to do what’s required to keep going. I’m in between those situations at this point in my life. … I recently read a quote that struck a chord with me at the time. It was attributed to Henry Rollins (but with the internet these days, you can never be too sure who really said it). ‘I did that, I gave everything I had to give to that. Now, if I returned to that it would be repetition – it might be fun repetition, but it wouldn’t be meaningful repetition.'”

Cutler reportedly had talks with the Jets and Texans before deciding to take the FOX job with the Jets conversations deemed the more “real” of the two. Other teams may gauge his interest down the road should injury strike and Cutler will have another chance to decide if retirement is the right word when and if that moment comes.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Jay Cutler: I don’t know if retirement is the right word”
  1. The Phantom Stranger says: May 5, 2017 11:43 AM

I don’t feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL,” Cutler said.
    _______

Actually, anyone who was playing in the NFL and now isn’t is considered retired from the NFL. It’s those kinds of insights we can look forward to hearing from Jay in the broadcast booth. Gosh, I hope my team isn’t the worst in the NFL so I don’t have to listen to that analyst team.

2. spartanlegend says: May 5, 2017 11:45 AM

Yeah but Henry Rollins is a liar. He even admits it in that one song

3. flipola says: May 5, 2017 11:46 AM

“I don’t know if retirement is the right word. More like 32 teams aren’t interested.”

4. patsfaninus says: May 5, 2017 11:47 AM

If not the word “retirement”, here’s a few words/phrases to use to describe why he’s not signed yet, if ever:

Selfish
    Loser
    Cancer
    Non-team
    Interception Machine
    New Jeff George
    Bad ROI

5. creese76 says: May 5, 2017 11:49 AM

Now he can rip cigs all day!

6. maust1013 says: May 5, 2017 11:51 AM

I know I’m in the minority but I think if Fox let’s Cutler speak his mind he will do well

7. marcrayray says: May 5, 2017 11:53 AM

It wouldn’t be meaningful competition…….unless someone wanted me

8. stipez says: May 5, 2017 11:57 AM

Rollins quote? I just gained respect for Cutler. Go tell it like it is until Fox is forced to replace you.

9. jahbrohknee says: May 5, 2017 12:03 PM

My guess is he’d like to play, but the teams interested have garbage O-lines and aren’t willing to pay him enough to get his butt kicked for another season when they have no chance of winning in the playoffs anyway.

10. tim8450 says: May 5, 2017 12:12 PM

I think he did the best he could, and that he has a GREAT agent.

I can’t blame a guy for wanting a job and wanting to play in the NFL and making it happen for himself. Playing professional sports with Type 1 diabetes adds a whole other level of difficulty that most people don’t have to face, and his coaching staff wasn’t the greatest either.

He won just as many Superbowls as Romo, Matty Ice and a lot of other quarterbacks.

11. QB Film Room says: May 5, 2017 12:12 PM

LOL i dont feel as if anyone really retires from NFL Cutler said…

12. vicnocal says: May 5, 2017 12:20 PM

Man, I still think the Texans are going to regret not bringing this guy in, rather than banking their hopes on Tom Savage and/or rookie Watson.

How about Jacksonville as a backup/potential replacement for Bortles?

Anyway, him becoming a commentator is the most boring of the possible outcomes.

13. wyboemail says: May 5, 2017 12:26 PM

I really wish people on here would rip that arrogant SOB Erin Rodgers like Cutler gets ripped all the time. He is true to himself and does not need to act or look the way everyone thinks he should. I have never held athletes or anyone on TV to standard as a role model or anything like that. I go to work everyday and am who I am. If people don’t like my facial expressions or my body language then so be it. He went to work everyday and have to give him credit for going to work for that clown of an organization ( I am a huge Bears fan by the way) everyday and doing his best. If the best was not good enough so beit. The Bears should have gotten someone better. Cutler does not have to apologize to anyone for anything. I cannot wait to hear and see his broadcasts. I hope every game the Bears have on Fox this crew is doing it.

14. infectorman says: May 5, 2017 12:36 PM

He’d be a marked upgrade in Miami over Ryan Standinstill

15. aj66shanghai says: May 5, 2017 12:37 PM

Jacksonville seems like it should have been a good fit for him. Florida sucks, but I bet he’d enjoy the sunshine after 8 winters in Chicago. Team could use him, amd they have some great young offensive talent to offer.

16. pittsburghdamned says: May 5, 2017 12:40 PM

Don’t worry. We are all rolling with the term “Fired”

17. cowpiesnotcowboys says: May 5, 2017 12:41 PM

I think “involuntary retirement” is the phrase Cutler was seeking.

18. pj the uber doofus says: May 5, 2017 1:06 PM

But boy, what an arm! If his head and heart matched the arm—GOAT.