Bart Scott out at CBS

Getty Images

The game of musical chairs continues at CBS.

Tony Romo bumped Phil Simms out of the No. 1 broadcast booth. Simms, after a confusing couple of weeks, landed in the studio, taking the spot created by the previous departure of Tony Gonzalez.

Now, there’s another change. Bart Scott is out, and Nate Burleson is in.

In keeping with an offseason theme of awkward, the announcement from CBS mentions only the arrival of Burleson, with no mention whatsoever that Scott is leaving. Instead, the statement merely fails to mention Scott as one of the other members of The NFL Today crew.

Rumors circulated a year ago that CBS was contemplating moving on from Scott. As the rumor went, the pursuit of Peyton Manning caused Scott’s status to assume a position on the back burner. Now, Scott is out and Burleson is in, joining James Brown, Bill Cowher, Boomer Esiason, and Simms.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “Bart Scott out at CBS”
  1. seattlerogueburner says: May 8, 2017 10:05 AM

Burleson! Excited to hear what he’s got to contribute.

2. jbl429 says: May 8, 2017 10:05 AM

Can’t Wait! ™

3. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: May 8, 2017 10:06 AM

*shrug*

I haven’t watched a pregame show in over twenty years.

4. atomicwaste says: May 8, 2017 10:11 AM

Burleson is really good on GMFB, so this should be a positive move for CBS.

5. mrphelps01 says: May 8, 2017 10:12 AM

How he got the gig to begin with is beyond me.

6. Drunk Uncle says: May 8, 2017 10:13 AM

Every time I see Boomer on television, my immediate impulse is to change the channel or turn off the volume.

7. footballboozer says: May 8, 2017 10:22 AM

Thank god! Listening to this guy hurts!

8. ajgreenhof says: May 8, 2017 10:26 AM

Awesome!

Gonzalez should still be there though.

Get rid of Rome too. Idk why FOX and CBS had to add their own blowhard guy in Rome and Cowherd.

9. r502 says: May 8, 2017 10:30 AM

Pre game shows are full of feel good fluff and inane interviews. None of them are compelling, they all stink for the most part.

They are simply a vehicle for more advertisements. I cannot recall the last time I witnessed one for more than 2 minutes.

10. pastabelly says: May 8, 2017 10:40 AM

Burleson is interesting, but needs help with his attire. Saw him in a pink suit and my eyes still hurt.

11. terripet says: May 8, 2017 10:45 AM

Arrogant boomer should be out

12. gerard33 says: May 8, 2017 10:50 AM

I liked Bart

13. tylawspick6 says: May 8, 2017 10:52 AM

Now he can go back to being a Pats-hating buffoon whose entire legacy will be remembered as being a born loser with a temper, an IQ of 67, and for frothing at the mouth after a divisional rd win in 2010, only to choke the next week by allowing 24 points in one half.

14. 700levelvet says: May 8, 2017 10:53 AM

I never once saw or heard him… What’s to miss?

15. saxguru says: May 8, 2017 10:54 AM

Can’t wait to see where his next paycheck is coming from.

16. hehateme2 says: May 8, 2017 10:55 AM

Good move as this guy was a dolt.

Ah, the jests… keep um in the cellar where they belong.

17. proudchowdahead13 says: May 8, 2017 10:55 AM

The guys on Fox are much more fun to watch!

18. patsfaninus says: May 8, 2017 10:57 AM

Burleson will be more professional. Period.

19. THX 138 says: May 8, 2017 11:01 AM

When are they going to get rid of Collingsworth?He’s the worst.

20. godofwine330 says: May 8, 2017 11:06 AM

Nate Burleson is a great add. He actually saved my life. I was driving with a pizza getting ready for a Cavs game and the pizza slid off the seat. I was just about to reach and grab the falling pizza and I thought of how Burleson got into an accident and broke his arm doing the same thing and I just let the pizza fall.

No big deal, the pizza was fine. I didn’t get into an accident. I don’t know if I would have, but what happened to Nate Burleson definitely helped me think about it before acting. Bart Scott was a good guy, and he’ll catch on somewhere.

“Can’t wait!”

21. jgoodlad says: May 8, 2017 11:08 AM

His suits never fit.

22. bootguy says: May 8, 2017 11:15 AM

With Simms AND Esiason on the set together , no one else is going to get a word in anyway !! Makes it a MOOT point !!

23. RegisHawk says: May 8, 2017 11:17 AM

Apparently, they couldn’t wait…

24. cafetero1075 says: May 8, 2017 11:19 AM

I stopped watching pre game shows years ago. I usually catch a soccer game on my other cable channels then I start watching 1PM.

25. Akula says: May 8, 2017 11:28 AM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    May 8, 2017 10:06 AM
    *shrug*

I haven’t watched a pregame show in over twenty years.

________________________________________

I’m with you. I’m five years in to my recovery. These shows are a complete waste of time.

26. liparulos says: May 8, 2017 11:29 AM

Good move by CBS. Burleson has been very good on the NFL Network, and he will bring a younger energy to the CBS group in the studio.

27. lgw91s says: May 8, 2017 11:34 AM

Burleson is a nice addition. I never understood why Bart Scott was added. That was addition by subtraction. I prefer the Howie Long no nonsense type analyst. Shaun O’Hara would fit that bill. Trench type guys.

28. jag1959 says: May 8, 2017 11:36 AM

It would have been addition by subtraction if all they did was dump Scott

29. realfootballfan says: May 8, 2017 11:44 AM

These shows ran their course as more information became available in the late 90s, early 00s. They were important when everyone couldn’t hit PFT or PFR 10 times a day because they wanted information. The first network that figures this out and does away with the format will be ahead of the trend and will save themselves lots of money for a product that has outlived its usefulness. They should probably be condensed down to just injury reports in a 15-minute format before the game and web hits that go out throughout the day for each matchup. It would be a better use of resources than all of this dressing up to hear people blowhard for an hour or 2.

30. RegisHawk says: May 8, 2017 11:47 AM

I watch pregame shows to see the comics like Rob Riggle and Frank Caliendo. Don’t think CBS does that, so I don’t bother with them.

31. peytonwantsaflag says: May 8, 2017 11:49 AM

Whatever what these,guys don’t get (media management types) is they’ve got a built in audience. Afc fans watch CBS, nfc watch fox , some fans watch pregame some don’t. It really doesnt matter who they put in there

32. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: May 8, 2017 11:49 AM

Burleson’s an empty suit. I know more about football than that guy.

33. valentino8100 says: May 8, 2017 11:50 AM

The person responsible for putting on Scott on television in the first place should now be publicly flogged.

34. TB12#BLITZFOR6 says: May 8, 2017 12:00 PM

Couldn’t of happened to a better guy………..

35. cavalleyx5 says: May 8, 2017 12:10 PM

CBS forever trying to be Fox constantly Dry with no Fun at all, Fox has everything CBS just Die

36. maniacwithaknife says: May 8, 2017 12:25 PM

Good riddance!

37. realfootballfan says: May 8, 2017 12:25 PM

The first network that gets rid of them will be ahead of the curve. It’s more of people needing to read what the audience is trending toward, and they’ve been trending away from these shows with information available on sites like this daily. We used to have to wait or read the paper for the beat writer. That’s 24/7 stream of news these days, which makes these shows irrelevant. A beter use of these former athletes would be using them for in-week studio shows to break down the X’s and O’s of the games from the All 22 angle. The pregame shows should be reduced to a 15-minute injury update for the games and web hits for everything else. Coverage is way too bloated for what they’re going over.

38. walker1191 says: May 9, 2017 7:47 AM

It seems unanimous that Bart Scott was the worst guy on any of the major networks’ NFL shows.

39. silvernblacksabbath says: May 9, 2017 9:25 AM

Pregame shows are so dumbed down… No thanks.

40. toybkshr says: May 9, 2017 9:46 AM

Don’t want to see someone lose their job, but Bart Scott was so bad I can’t figure why they kept him on so long, I’d rather listen to Gilbert Gottfired for an hour than Scott for 3min!

41. breadmeatcheese says: May 9, 2017 8:01 PM

good. he had trouble speaking.

42. PFT loves the Steelers says: May 9, 2017 11:01 PM

Meh. I liked Bart Scott. He had a goofy personality, which I like. I also had zero trouble understanding him. I guess some folks struggle with comprehending accents. Burleson is a good dude too, but I’m sure he’ll have his share of haters eventually.

43. Ugadogs21 says: May 11, 2017 1:39 PM