Report: Jerome Bettis out at ESPN

AP

Jerome Bettis is the latest victim of ESPN’s mass layoffs.

Bettis has been let go, Sporting News reports. He joins Trent Dilfer, Danny Kanell and Ed Werder among the recognizable NFL media people who have lost their jobs at ESPN.

With cord cutting taking a significant bite out of ESPN’s revenue stream, the network decided this year to get rid of about 100 employees. Most of those employees have announced via social media that they’re leaving, although Bettis has been quiet.

A member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2015, Bettis joined ESPN at the start of the 2013 season.

95 responses to “Report: Jerome Bettis out at ESPN

1. I had no idea he was still on the air. I haven’t watched ESPN or clicked on their website in 6 years.

2. Bettis was the worst on-air combination of rabid homer and inarticulate mumbler (which is no mean feat when Bart Scott is your competition).

3. Any job where Bettis isn’t public speaking, is a good move and one that I support. Great FB player, seems like a great guy, commentating just isn’t his strength.

4. Why doesn’t ESPN get rid of like 14 of their channels and stream everything else?

5. leroyquimby says:
    May 8, 2017 8:58 AM
    ————————-
    How will we see the “Dodgeball Tournaments”?

6. I haven’t watched B$PN since the worldwide leader in lies and misinformation declared war on the Patriots. I hope the layoffs continue and the whole steaming pile of poo in Bristol goes off the air.

7. Great business model. Pay about 10 times what a product is worth ( the NFL ), and then fire all of your talented staff because you need to cut expenses.

Bettis was at best a part time employee, but none of this matters because at the end of the day ESPN is doomed to fail as long as they are overpaying for the NFL.

8. Good, he sucked…little better than listening to Ray Lewis say “He reminds me of a young me”.

9. This is going to go on and on until cable companies get wise and adopt true a la carte channel packaging and/or skinny bundles like Dish.

People are tired of paying triple digits a month for dozens of channels of crap they never watch. Of which for me and most people I know, the ESPN family of channels now falls into that group.

10. The only time I ever watch ESPN is when MNF was on. I didn’t even know Bettis was employed by them.

11. I love it… I’ve ignored ESPN for so long I never knew they had Bettis to begin with!

I wonder if anyone over there’s capable of recognizing it’s not the 90’s anymore and that replacing the faces is completely insufficient.

12. I wouldn’t pay extra for ESPN and get with a sports pack that already includes my local sports channels (NESN and CSSNE) and Red Zone. If you gave me a choice between Red Zone and ESPN, Red Zone wins. ESPN also dumped the NHL, which was annoying, but NBC does a better job with it anyway. Everything works out.

13. Now if we could just get him out at the Hall where he doesn’t belong.

14. When BSPN decided to take a political stand and drop the NHL they dropped me too.
    Funny thing is, NBC presents a far superior NHL product too.
    Their loss, my gain.

15. “With cord cutting taking a significant bite out of ESPN’s revenue stream”

How about the lies, plagiarism and horrible on air content? Don’t you think that’s taken a bigger bite than cord cutting?

I haven’t watched bspn for over 10 years now. Happy to see the worldwide joke of sportscasting falling apart.

16. bassplucker says:
    May 8, 2017 9:13 AM

——————————————————
    I recently cut back my Direct TV subscription of channels from “everything” and a bill of almost $200 to the basic plan only and a cost of less than $50 a month. I don’t miss any major games because I picked up a URL from a gambling site in Europe that broadcasts virtually every major sporting event. They want you to bet of course…..that is not mandatory. I don’t miss all the garbage on TV at all and get to see every sporting event televised for free.

17. Good to see ESPN slimming down, too many former players hired who couldn’t articulate a thought….I love ESPN it was the best think to come around when it did, 24 hour sports, I remember the day you had to wait up and watch the local news to get the scores…funny how people see liberal and conservative in ESPN, its simply not true, it shows how divided the country has gotten where a persons personal view means you can’t watch him talk about whose the better player or why this team won….crazy…..shows more about who you are than them…..

18. For those of you thinking this is a harbinger of doom at ESPN, you may want to pump the brakes.

Yes, the mass layoffs are certainly visible and cause speculation about the future of the “worldwide leader.” But make no mistake this company is still making at least $7.00 per cable subscriber AND streaming bundles.

That’s right, ESPN has found a way to still get it’s nut from all the major streaming bundles out there.

So, laying off talent is just part of them correcting to make sure they hit their absurd profit goals and this beast isn’t dying any time soon.

19. With Hoge and Bettis gone, who’s going to pick the Steelers every week?
    —————————–
    I’d say whoever’s left on staff with the highest football IQ.

20. I wish FOX News would go by the way of ESPN. They need to die a slow death so we can have less brainwashing of people that vote against their economic interests.

21. Its amazing that so many of the football homers are getting the ax here.
    After years of lying and losing millions of $$$$, I guess a change is needed.
    I’m glad Disney has started the process of change.

22. I feel for bad for the people losing their jobs but I’ve been blown away by how many people who worked for them that I’d never, ever seen or heard of.

23. I’d be willing to bet that none of these firings and ‘cost cutting’ measures extend to ESPN management and top executives – many of whom ‘managed’ them right into their current predicament.

And I’d also be willing to bet that these same executives will be voting themselves enormous bonuses for their magnificent performance too.

24. angrydave38 says:
    May 8, 2017 9:16 AM
    Worst player in the HOF and its not even close.
    ——————————
    Wrong – Joe Namath is in the HOF for guaranteeing a win and winning it. If anyone can argue something than it was a win during the merger, I’d love to hear it.

Win/Loss – 62-63-4
    TD/Int – 173/220
    Completion Percentage 50.1%

Playoffs
    Win/Loss – 2-1
    TD/Int – 3/4
    Completion Percentage 42.74%

25. “With Hoge and Bettis gone, who’s going to pick the Steelers every week?”
    ****************
    Maybe I missed it, but I haven’t seen where Hoge was let go by espn.

I think there’s a requirement that they keep him so that the other “experts” don’t have to worry about finishing last in the picking contest.

26. crownofthehelmet says:
    May 8, 2017 9:57 AM
    With Hoge and Bettis gone, who’s going to pick the Steelers every week?
    —————————–
    I’d say whoever’s left on staff with the highest football IQ.

********************
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

27. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    May 8, 2017 9:05 AM

Cable cutting, sure. But the other reason is ESPN seems to me more interested in social justice and the like than sports and it drove viewers away.

I never watch anything in ESPN besides MNF and college game day. Besides that? I could care less they have become a social justice channel in the middle of endless NBA.

I honestly am thinking of ESPN as the modern day MTV. Eventually they won’t do sports like MTV never does music.

28. He is one of the worst HOF entries I’ve ever seen. And, he was one of the worst analysts I’ve ever seen.

I don’t believe he graduated from college either.

IQ = 88

29. .
    I’ll miss the profound analysis, such as this gem on framegate (translator needed) :

” The problem here is, if you can explain to me why the Colts’ balls were not changed in any way at any point in time… if you can tell me that (the weather) affected the Colts balls, then I understand that,” Bettis said. “But from my point of view, you cannot, and (from) nobody’s point of view you can explain the differences with the balls. With that being said, someone knew. Clearly, someone knew. Tom Brady understood what type of ball that he likes. Now, he can say that he didn’t know that it was not at the proper amount. He can say that. But he can’t say that the balls were the same as all the other balls. He can’t say that, because when I felt that ball, I knew that ball was different from the other balls. There’s no question about that.

“Anybody who’s played this game for a long period of time and has touched the football regularly can tell you the difference. Now you sit there and ask a defensive lineman, yeah, he probably couldn’t tell you. But a guy who handles the football on a regular basis can tell you that a ball is the difference from wherever it was — 10.5 to 12.5. You can tell the difference. That’s not even a question about that part.”

In other words, Bettis feels “deflategate” is far from resolved.

“No, it’s not over,” Bettis said. “It’s not over for anyone.”

30. pastabelly says:
    May 8, 2017 9:18 AM
    …ESPN also dumped the NHL, which was annoying, but NBC does a better job with it anyway. Everything works out.

I would have to disagree on that one. Thorne & Clement on their worst day were 10 times better than Emmerick/McGuire/and Eddie (The Penguins Homer) Olczyk.

31. If they fire Max Kellerman, I might actually start watching them again.

———
    That tool is a the token NY/NJ area sports fan. He thinks the world revolves around him and that his teams are all legends.

Comical to watch his jealousy of Boston sports teams from afar.

32. I will be sad to see Mike Golic get axed. They decided to keep that nerdy, constantly nervous, caffeine hyped Greenberg. Golic’s future is very much up in the air.

33. exinsidetrader says:
    May 8, 2017 9:15 AM

ESPN should just merge with their sister-station MSNBC to save costs.
    __________________________________
    ESPN is owned by ABC Broadcasting and Disney.

34. You have to wonder how ESPN could pay the NFL 1.9 billion for one garbage match up a week on MNF, while the other 3 networks combined pay 3 billion for every other game?

No matter how many people get let go by ESPN it won’t make up for poor management decisions.!

35. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    May 8, 2017 9:05 AM

————————————————–
    Interesting viewers like you aren’t interested in justice! Let me guess, you don’t look like the majority of the players?

36. this guy………was gifted a ring by the shield, then gifted a job after he finally hung it up. He sits in his chair and just agrees with most things said, but has to explain why the Steelers are the #1 team every year.

37. @ nbcwantsitsmoneyback says:
    May 8, 2017 10:52 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes they did over pay. But unlike Sunday, MNF is the only game on TV. Provided the match-up is a good one, viewership will be/should be very high which means higher revenue for the 300 commercials that occur in the first half…

38. @metitometin
    As an independent, your comment may be the most ignorant post ever on PFT.

Want to stay ignorant? Then only listen to one side and their agenda. Want to be informed? Listen to what both sides have to say and find the truth in the middle.

39. I watch ESPN for one thing and one thing only – live sports. I haven’t watched a “program” or Sports Center in a couple of years.

40. “Bettis was the worst on-air combination of rabid homer and inarticulate mumbler (which is no mean feat when Bart Scott is your competition).”

I had no problem understanding Bettis on television but then again I’m not a racist.

41. I find it fascinating that at the same time ESPN is getting rid of tv guys, they hired Rex Ryan.
    I mean, he’s the biggest blowhard there is and stunk as a HC. But ESPN has proven over and over again they love to hire jerks like Ryan.

42. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    May 8, 2017 12:00 PM

——————————————–
    Brilliant, Patsfan!

43. flakeybiscuits says:
    May 8, 2017 9:13 AM
    No matter how terrible ESPN has become, I will never stop watching ESPN 8 – The Ocho

——————————————————-

Smh all the racists that confused The Ocho with Deportes and thumbs-downed you.

Slick reference though 👌🏽

44. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    May 8, 2017 12:00 PM

Only slightly lower life form than one who constantly cries cheater is the one who ends each accusation with the R word.

Perhaps you and Jerome went to the same school of unfollowable commentary.

45. All these layoffs and Mike & Mike still have jobs? That is proof that the network is run by Chimpanzees. Does anyone like Mike & Mike? I mean, really, anyone…?

46. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    May 8, 2017 12:00 PM

————————————————————–
    Congratulations. I’m sure you can continue to enjoy listening to Jerome speak at his next gig at the used car lot.

47. Only guy on that list any good was Dilfer. The rest were all terrible, who cares if they got fired? God forbid someone who isn’t good at their job loses it

48. “angrydave38 says:
    May 8, 2017 9:16 AM

Worst player in the HOF and its not even close.”

^And we have a winner folks for the ignorant comment of the year so far, bar none! “And its (SIC) not even close.”

49. maniacwithaknife says:
    May 8, 2017 12:37 PM

I think Mike and Mike are getting stale and it has more to do with the endless NBA talk on their show. I think the whole network has just become an NBA network anymore. Sure they bring up football still but not to the level of basketball.
    And I am a fan of basketball I just want to hear about something else once in a while.

50. Jerome Bettis, who went on live TV and told the world that if you take less than half of 1 PSI out of a football you will never ever fumble it or throw an incomplete pass.

Should’ve taken a few PSI out of your job description, Bus. Might’ve hung onto your job.

51. gmen05 says:
    May 8, 2017 1:31 PM
    Why do they call him the bus?

Because he’s afraid to fly.

Beat me to it xD

52. Jerome Bettis has no business being enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Not even close. Anyone with a football IQ above a toilet seat knows he’s not worthy. There are dozens upon dozens of other running backs more worthy than him. He isn’t even worthy of licking the dust off the cleats of a guy like Roger Craig.

53. So many people complain about ESPN. if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Apparently a lot of folks like to watch sports, especially college football and hoops. I appreciate them showing 20 games a day so I don’t have to watch reality tv garbage! Thank you ESPN.

54. I never had a problem understanding the Bus. Keep in mind he’s a Notre Dame graduate. The one that didn’t know English was Ray Lewis, and I’m a Ravens fan.

55. The one that needs to go is Wendy Nix, she is horrible, but some of the other women are not a lot better. Where are they “digging” these new ones up from?