Frank Gore will play as long as he can keep up with the youngsters

Getty Images

Colts running back Frank Gore currently sits at No. 8 on the NFL’s career rushing list. With only 620 yards in 2017, he’ll crack the top five. He may not stop there.

“I’m still having fun,” Gore told reporters on Tuesday regarding his plans for continuing. “Still enjoying it, being around the guys. Still love the game. I take it one year at a time. I’m having fun now and training camp, I’ll be ready.”

So when will he know it’s time to go?

“When I start back training,” Gore said. “If I can’t train like I’ve been training before or if I can’t keep up with the guys I train with, younger backs, that’s when I kind of say I won’t be ready. But I’m still looking good. Still keeping up with these young guys back in Miami. I should be all right. I’m going to be all right this year.”

When asked to identify his goals, Gore says nothing about individual achievements, despite the major milestones before him.

“I feel as long as I’m healthy and my guys up front and I get the opportunities, I’m going to be successful,” Gore said. “I think the more I’m successful, the more this team will be successful. I don’t really think about yards and that anymore, but like I said, as long as I’m playing healthy, that’ll come. But right now I want to get back to before I got here. Get back to how the team was competing to get to the championship.”

Gore, who turns 34 on Sunday, came close to a title in 2012 with the 49ers. However it plays out for him, Gore eventually will be standing next to a bronze likeness of himself one state to the east from where he currently plays.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
12 Responses to “Frank Gore will play as long as he can keep up with the youngsters”
  1. BraceForImpact says: May 9, 2017 6:09 PM

Frank the Tank!!!

2. zombiepatriot says: May 9, 2017 6:11 PM

I’m guessing as a Colt his goal would be to be part of the hoisting of a new participant banner.

3. niners816 says: May 9, 2017 6:14 PM

Most underrated/durable rb to ever play. Miss you in red and gold! He’s a lock for Canton, and its much deserved.

4. sGoDonkos says: May 9, 2017 6:18 PM

including receiving scores, gore has double digit TDs once in a season. that might slow his path to canton

5. chrisernst82 says: May 9, 2017 6:20 PM

He is and always has been a grinder. As a 49ers fan it was nice to know Frank was always gonna come through. Hope he can stay healthy this year and keep grinding.

6. arctantheta says: May 9, 2017 6:31 PM

When asked about his long career, Gore said that if he plays for ten more years and lives cheaply he’ll finally have enough saved up for a down payment in a house in SF

7. meditatingamigo says: May 9, 2017 6:48 PM

49er fans still love Gore. We miss the hell out of him.

8. sayormills49 says: May 9, 2017 7:01 PM

9. southpaw79 says: May 9, 2017 7:05 PM

When you do retire, please retire as a 49er! Or better yet, comeback for one last season before you go.

10. joshco77 says: May 9, 2017 7:51 PM

@sayormills49 Crack that top 5 Frank!!! I remember thinking 5 years ago that he had to be near the end with that brutal running style. Now I can’t wait for the day he goes into Canton. Rice, Young, Willis, Gore, that’s my Niners Mount Rushmore!!!

——————————————————–

I’d assume leaving Montana off was a poorly attempted troll job.

11. therealraider says: May 9, 2017 8:22 PM

Frank Gore has quietly carved out a Hall of Fame career.

12. fakebookfreddy says: May 9, 2017 11:39 PM

Translation: he will play as long as somebody keeps giving him a paycheck.