Tony Romo on TV: “I know I’ll probably stink for a while”

Getty Images

Tony Romo showed he was reasonably competent, making one big mistake, but recovering from it.

And while that was his day failing to qualify for the U.S. Open golf tournament yesterday, the former Cowboys quarterback said there were also some parallels to his new job broadcasting for CBS.

“It’s different. Competition in itself I enjoy and, for me, just improving and looking at something to get better at,” he said when asked about golf filling the competitive void in his life now that he’s retired, via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“That’s the same thing in broadcasting,” he continued. “I understand I’m coming in without any experience in that world. It’s exciting, it’s a little nerve-wracking, it’s all these things in one. That’s why you love to do things. You’re coming into the unknown and something I have to get better at and I like a challenge. I know I’ll probably stink for a while [in the broadcast booth]. Hopefully I’ll continue to improve at that and hopefully get better and be good.”

That kind of easy self-effacing humor is a big first step, as Romo walks into the world of television with a quality other recently retired quarterbacks may not necessarily share. But because he’s pleasant and likable, he’ll have chances to work through any early mistakes, even though he’s starting at the top of the profession.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Tony Romo on TV: “I know I’ll probably stink for a while””
  1. 49ersfury says: May 9, 2017 7:01 AM

You’ll be OK Romo. Just pretend it’s a playoff game. Oh wait on 2nd thought; nevermind.

2. brendafortheboyz says: May 9, 2017 7:42 AM

Romo will do well, given some time to learn the ropes. I sure hope he is able to get a few subtle jabs at Garrett, along the way 🙂 With “friends” like that, who on earth needs any enemies??? But, he is a class act, and I probably won’t get my wish. Coach of the Year, my eye….more like Luck of the Year with Dak and Zeke…smh…Yippee, 13-3! Sure does a lot of good if you are 1 and out in the playoffs! That ball would NOT have been spiked if Romo had been in, as he should have been, when we were down 18 pts. I don’t think I will ever get over how they screwed him over, esp. JG! I think if Jerry wasn’t overruled, Tony would have kept his job, once he was healthy!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope Tony is at peace with his decision…..

3. magnumpimustache says: May 9, 2017 8:07 AM

I don’t think romo will be that bad on TV.

At worst I think he goes 8-8.

4. kamthechancellor says: May 9, 2017 8:13 AM

He stunk at football…might as well stink at broadcasting.

5. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 9, 2017 8:17 AM

kind of like he did in playoff situations

6. officialgame says: May 9, 2017 8:33 AM

Hopefully he doesn’t fumble the mike.

7. cylondetector says: May 9, 2017 8:35 AM

I like Tony Romo, but if i’m his paying his wages I’d want him to do a bit better than ‘stinking’.

Some guys are just good at this stuff, some aren’t.

The truth will be revealed.

8. metalup666 says: May 9, 2017 8:36 AM

For all the haters, Romo’s playoff numbers aren’t bad. 62% completion, 1316 yds, 8 touchdowns to just 2 interceptions. Now those aren’t stellar numbers, Tony sure could have used some defensive help though.

9. eagleswin says: May 9, 2017 8:46 AM

This is the equivalent of having to buy preseason tickets with your regular season tickets for a team.

Viewers will have to sit through some meaningless babble where they wonder why they are subjecting themselves to this. At the end of it all they have to hope he ends up closer to being a contender than a bottom feeder or it’s going to be a long season.

10. bengalsfacepainter says: May 9, 2017 8:46 AM

He has an affable personality which will serve him well. As long as he doesn’t turn into a jock-sniffer like Gruden, he will be fine.

11. vdaigglesfan says: May 9, 2017 8:50 AM

His contract should only be for week 1 to 17 because he hardly ever showed up in the playoffs.

12. feckyerlife says: May 9, 2017 8:52 AM

The problem is CBS is throwing you to the wolves with the prime games, you have no chance to stink, you have to get it right basically your first time out or its going to look bad for everyone.

13. tvguy22 says: May 9, 2017 9:16 AM

The good news for Tony is replacing Phil creates a fairly low bar…

14. bigpete07 says: May 9, 2017 9:23 AM

That unbearable gasbag Dierdorf stunk for a lot longer.

15. medialovesthecowboys says: May 9, 2017 9:24 AM

So much hate for Romo. One of the classiest men to ever play the game but still has to put up with cheap shots from Cowboys haters. Guys…get over it. He retired.

16. jssebastian2014 says: May 9, 2017 9:40 AM

You’re already better than Joe Buck, Tony. You’ll be fine.

17. sfsugator says: May 9, 2017 9:53 AM

He’s going to be a great holder on TV, oh wait.

18. sidepull says: May 9, 2017 9:58 AM

Hes probably right.

19. whenwilliteverend says: May 9, 2017 10:57 AM

It’ll be a different kind of stink than what Phil Simms did in the booth. Jim Nantz will be happy with that.

20. whenwilliteverend says: May 9, 2017 10:59 AM

I wonder how long it will take for him to accidentally stab himself with his pencil and be out for the year.

21. belairirish says: May 9, 2017 2:45 PM

Hopefully they will have someone on hand who can do the Heimlich if Romo is involved in any playoff games.