After tweeting an apology, Frank Clark’s Twitter showed his real feelings

Getty Images

Usually, when someone issues an obviously insincere apology, they’re smart enough not to immediately demonstrate their insincerity. That was not the case with Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark.

Clark, who dislikes it when the media mentions his 2014 domestic violence charge, went after Natalie Weiner of Bleacher Report on Twitter because Weiner mentioned the incident in a recent piece. Clark directed a tweet at Weiner saying she would be cleaning his fish tank after losing her media job.

After Clark was criticized for that, he posted another tweet using the classic weasel-words that he was apologizing to “anyone who felt offended by my tweet.” He did not apologize to Weiner, the person he actually owed an apology, just to anyone who felt offended, suggesting perhaps that the real problem is all those easily offended people who have a problem with him.

And then Clark proceeded to like the tweets from sycophantic fans who supported him and criticized Weiner. A fan who tweeted that Clark has “nothing to apologize for” got a like from Clark. Three fans who tweeted criticisms of Weiner got likes from Clark.

By liking those tweets, Clark was showing that he still doesn’t get it: The problem, in Frank Clark’s world view, is not that he was charged with domestic violence and not that he tweeted an attack at a writer who mentioned that fact. The problem is that a writer wrote about his past in an article about domestic violence in football. In Frank Clark’s world view, he’s the victim in all this.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
57 Responses to “After tweeting an apology, Frank Clark’s Twitter showed his real feelings”
  1. derekgorgonstar says: May 10, 2017 1:35 PM

This Seahawks team is becoming shockingly easy to hate.

2. Joe Schmoe says: May 10, 2017 1:37 PM

If I tell Seattle to cut him, will he give me a thumbs down?

3. drunkinsconnie says: May 10, 2017 1:38 PM

Just 12s being 12s.

4. seahawkboymike says: May 10, 2017 1:38 PM

She deserved to be mocked. The police had no evidence that any physical violence occurred. That’s why they caved.

And in most states anytime a woman claims she was touched the police are forced by law to arrest and file charges, whether there is any independent corroboration or not. Charges mean nothing in these cases, only convictions.

Ask Greg Hardy.

I don’t blame him for being mad.

5. seahawkboymike says: May 10, 2017 1:39 PM

derekgorgonstar says:

This Seahawks team is becoming shockingly easy to hate.
    —————————————————————–
    Yeah, ’cause they’re better than your team.

6. losingisnotanoption says: May 10, 2017 1:39 PM

I follow football religiously all year round.

Never heard of Frank Clark prior to today.

Now I think he’s a DB.

Gonna give me a thumb down on that one, eh Frankie?

7. sillybillywillyrillyinphilly says: May 10, 2017 1:42 PM

Not my fault.

Classic millenial line. It truly sums up the mentality of a good percentage of the youngsters, including my own children. Not really applicable to this story, but for some reason, that is what I read.

8. kruehawk says: May 10, 2017 1:49 PM

The problem with the initial article was that it assumed the guilt of Frank Clark even though the evidence never supported it. SO much so that the Prosecutor was the one who recommended dropping the charges altogether.

DV is a huge problem in the world and in the NFL… but irrational thinking and uninformed judgments doesn’t do anything to help the situation. I’d be pissed too and the author’s status as a woman doesn’t protect her from criticism any more than it should protect a man.

9. trubroncfan07 says: May 10, 2017 1:49 PM

Another D Bag on the hawks, fits in perfectly.

10. kcchefs58 says: May 10, 2017 1:50 PM

To add to the wisdom of Herm Edwards: “Don’t hit send. Don’t like or dislike anythang.”

11. snowdood163 says: May 10, 2017 1:55 PM

Hey seahawkhomermoronmike, have you looked into his case? The woman had a sizable welt on her face from where he struck her. But don’t let facts or decency get in the way of your idiotic fandom.

12. zoneread510 says: May 10, 2017 1:59 PM

Is Frank Clark a Bust? Thumbs up for yes, thumbs down for no.

13. lightcleric says: May 10, 2017 2:00 PM

It amazes me how people on this site endlessly complain about the greed and irresponsibility of the old dudes who run the NFL, and still somehow find ways to finger “millennial” as the problem in almost any situation.

Every generation has jerks and scum. Whose generation produced 58-year old Roger Goodell, again?

14. bucks4ever13 says: May 10, 2017 2:03 PM

sillybillywillyrillyinphilly says:
    May 10, 2017 1:42 PM
    Not my fault.

———————————————————————

What does this have to do with millennials? This a domestic abuse issue where the one doing the abusing has a problem with others talking about the issue and including his case as an example. This isn’t about his generation because domestic abuse/assault is not a generational issue. This a conversation about the lowest of the low.

As for Frank having an issue with the writer bringing it up, it’s a matter of public record. Deal with it like an adult and not a child.

15. bkostela says: May 10, 2017 2:03 PM

Why does Clark owe Weiner an apology? That’s assinine to suggest.

16. u4iadman says: May 10, 2017 2:03 PM

Guy could be a Patriot.

17. gb15class says: May 10, 2017 2:04 PM

I’ll say this for Twitter. It has made idiot recognition almost instantaneous. In previous decades, one had to discern a bit to see if a pattern emerged. Ain’t technology grand?

18. egomaniac247 says: May 10, 2017 2:04 PM

Did someone up above really suggest we “ask Greg Hardy?”

19. onereasonableman says: May 10, 2017 2:10 PM

He seems to be the real wiener in all this.

20. medialovesthecowboys says: May 10, 2017 2:14 PM

I miss when football news was just about football.

21. jonwill57 says: May 10, 2017 2:18 PM

Is really claiming to be a victim or is he mad that it will always be brought by someone?

22. afifthlombardiforthehaters says: May 10, 2017 2:19 PM

The Seahawks cut him he won’t have a fish tank to clean

23. beedubyatoo says: May 10, 2017 2:19 PM

Another Michigan Man.

24. mogogo1 says: May 10, 2017 2:26 PM

Nobody needs to clean his fish tank. It’ll get cleaned up prior to the inevitable bankruptcy sale.

25. jimmyjohns01 says: May 10, 2017 2:28 PM

Did he like tweets that disagreed with him? Just saying. Maybe he’s just “acknowledging” people who posts under his twitter by liking their comments rather than singling out those who he agrees with.

26. DC DeCastro says: May 10, 2017 2:29 PM

losingisnotanoption says:
    May 10, 2017 1:39 PM
    I follow football religiously all year round.

Never heard of Frank Clark prior to today.

Now I think he’s a DB.

Gonna give me a thumb down on that one, eh Frankie?

_____________________________

You must be one of those people who think, “Well, if I haven’t heard of him, then he must not be any good.”

Lol.

FYI: Frank Clark amassed 10 sacks last season.

I thought you watched football religiously?

27. whatjusthapped says: May 10, 2017 2:31 PM

I got an idea, why doesn’t he just focus on football since his writing and interpersonal skills seem to be lacking.

I don’t know if he did hit the girl but the more he carries on about it, the guiltier he appears. I will engage in the false narrative (Frank Clark is a punk, Frank Clark is a Seahawk therefore all Seahawks are punks) because I’m sure a morally upstanding coach like Peter Carroll (cough cough) wouldn’t put up with that.

28. thefan08 says: May 10, 2017 2:42 PM

I have no problem with Clark getting mad. Too often, the media likes to play this game like one bad act defines a person. I didn’t read the article this journalist wrote but something tells me the article doesn’t speak on everything else Clark has done to move on from this act.

I know I would be upset if every time people speak about me, they only bring up a single bad act I was accused off years prior. So, if I was him, I wouldn’t apologize.

29. kneedragr says: May 10, 2017 2:44 PM

So was he just charged or convicted? I agree with him if he was acquitted, its unfair to keep dragging his name through the mud. But if he copped a plea or was found guilty then its open season.

30. chetlemonbasketcatch says: May 10, 2017 2:45 PM

Just another idiot who doesn’t get it. I like social media.. gets all of this stuff in the open.

31. tombradyschocolatestarfish says: May 10, 2017 2:46 PM

onereasonableman says:
    May 10, 2017 2:10 PM
    He seems to be the real wiener in all this.

—————————————————-

THIS

32. dcpatfan says: May 10, 2017 2:46 PM

why should he be any different than the current administration and the sheep that were duped into voting for it?

33. chargerdillon says: May 10, 2017 2:51 PM

Frank has a right to defend himself does he not?

It’s ok for anybody in the media to take shots at somebody’s history and it’s just ok?

If it were you instead of Frank, I bet you’d be whistling a different tune.

Everybody has mistakes, not everybody has their mistakes displayed to everybody all so somebody can make a name for themselves.

Easy to criticize either side, look in the mirror and ask how you’d feel in his shoes.

34. dudermcrbohan says: May 10, 2017 2:53 PM

Clark is a piece of garbage… but he put up 10 sacks last year!!

35. nathanp2013 says: May 10, 2017 2:55 PM

Seems like he is in-line for a pay raise from Seahawks. Trade away multiple picks for Percy Harvin and Marshawn Lynch, Draft Frank Clark, Draft Jarran Reed and Malik McDowll who quit on his team with 2 months left in the season… even their head coach ran away from his dirty college program when he learned there was going to be NCAA sanctions.

36. youafool says: May 10, 2017 3:00 PM

@kruehawk

Please see above…you don’t know what you are talking about. Prosecutor didn’t reduce the charges he pled out because (like usual) the victim decided not to testify because I am sure he told her he was “REALLY REALLY SORRY” and she thinks she will get pay out

37. realfootballfan says: May 10, 2017 3:02 PM

Just another scumbag who happens to play football on the side.

38. wimpyburgers says: May 10, 2017 3:08 PM

Oh, for gawd sakes, stay off social media –
    That should be the message from Seahawks HQ to these young guys who haven’t the wherewithal to act like a grown-up.

39. notlistinin says: May 10, 2017 3:13 PM

kneedragr says:
    May 10, 2017 2:44 PM

——————————————————-
    Clark admitted to hitting Diamond Hurt in a (mind bogglingly generous) plea deal.

You can search her name to see the cut and welt on her face.

40. ak185 says: May 10, 2017 3:35 PM

It’s fair to mention past incidents when they are relevant, but do we all think that reporters do not also bring up these things when they’re not relevant to bring some attention to their stories?

In all honesty, it’s hard for me to feel bad for either of the two. Players get too entitled sometimes, but reporters also (not just in sports, mind you) can be very eager to stir or bring back controversy when they are able.

41. thegreatjimbrown says: May 10, 2017 3:45 PM

To the guy who said there was no physical evidence of an assault? Not according to police officer Martin Curran who arrested Clark even though the girlfriend didn’t want him to.

According to the report, Curran told her that “in Ohio when a domestic violence victim does not want to pursue a criminal charge against the offender and there are signs of physical violence, we are guided by law to charge that offender with domestic violence. I advised her Frank would be arrested, he would be incarcerated in jail, and he would be charged with domestic violence.”

Responding to a female reporter with a comment like this is pure stupidity.

42. backuppunter says: May 10, 2017 3:53 PM

sillybillywillyrillyinphilly says:
    May 10, 2017 1:42 PM
    Not my fault.

I know lots of baby boomers with this attitude.

43. bert1913 says: May 10, 2017 4:01 PM

first richard sherman now frank clark? the nfl is making these players think that they are more important than they really are

44. itsbenbeckett says: May 10, 2017 4:02 PM

What’s the point of a legal system when the media hands out life sentences?

45. denverscott says: May 10, 2017 5:06 PM

Sounds like the beginning of a joke. A frank attacks a wiener……..

46. bpurd says: May 10, 2017 5:08 PM

I don’t know what happen between Frank and the young lady. There are pics that shows a bruise. I do lnow a female prosecutor put her career on the line and said that didn’t believes that Frank Clark didn’t hit her are punched her. Why would she say that. The story the reporter wrote was slanted one way. Why don’t journalist give the whole story. All these domestic violence cases are all one sided. Not saying these are innocent but it’s a reason why the jear both sided. Frank Clark just needs to stay off twitter.

47. r8rsfan says: May 10, 2017 5:18 PM

Just because the owner of your team is mega-wealthy, doesn’t automatically elevate the status of the hired help, which is what Clark and Sherman are. Being the loudest voice in the room doesn’t make your message important, it makes you appear desperate and foolish.

48. bonitalocal says: May 10, 2017 5:27 PM

To all of the people saying that Clark, “made a mistake”…

Beating a woman is not a “mistake”.
    It is proof that the person is scum.

Now live with it, Big Man.

49. dbara43 says: May 10, 2017 5:50 PM

The guy had 10 sacks last year. As far as I’m concerned, he can non-apologize apologize to 3rd tier sports reporters who take pot shots at him until the cows come home.

50. damcmp says: May 10, 2017 5:57 PM

Maybe it is in his past and he sees no valid reason for it to be broadcast to the public view at this time…. you people never respect anyone’s privacy….

51. Hawknballs says: May 10, 2017 6:12 PM

So we are at an age in human history where “liking tweets” is an offense?

Has anyone been to the cesspool of here-say and advertising that is “Bleacher Report”?

52. Lisa_the_Greek says: May 10, 2017 6:32 PM

drunkinsconnie says:
    May 10, 2017 1:38 PM

Just 12s being 12s.
    _________________________________

12s are the fans, not the players. This is just a player being a player… albeit a foolhardy one.

53. theprofootballranker says: May 10, 2017 6:36 PM

Twitter seems to be the drama arena

54. fishyinalittledishy says: May 10, 2017 6:50 PM

The media can write what they like about players but they get all up tight when players hit back. Grow a pair media people.

55. kevpft says: May 10, 2017 7:23 PM

Is he not justified in having those feelings?

Any one of us who have anything in our lives we’re glad we were able to move on from (which, let’s be honest, is all of us) should be able to understand the frustration of not being allowed to move on from something, especially when the people dredging up your past had nothing to do with it.

Is he a bad guy? I don’t know. None of us know him. Is it inappropriate to speak this way to journalists? Probably, though the relative merits of said journalist/writing are fair game.

56. breadmeatcheese says: May 10, 2017 8:54 PM

Frank chill out, you’re helping a troll stay relevant.

57. PFT loves the Steelers says: May 10, 2017 10:04 PM

A Seahawks player with a DV charge? I’m stunned. With the way people talk, I was sure it was only the Bengals that harbored a criminal or 2.