AP

Two players who ended up being selected in the first round of the 2017 draft generated dilute urine samples at the Scouting Combine. From the NFL’s perspective, a dilute sample counts as a positive test, which puts the player in Stage One of the substance-abuse program at the outset of his professional career.

But if, as Peppers has claimed, the dilute sample didn’t arise from overloading his kidneys with water in an effort to conceal the metabolites of banned recreational drugs, he has nothing to worry about. Comments from Browns executive V.P. of football operations Sashi Brown suggest that Peppers has something to worry about, which implies that the team may not believe Peppers.

“It’s certainly a factor for us,” Brown said after Peppers was picked, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “Jabrill understands. I think he’s been accountable for it. He understands that it’s something that he has to clean up as we move forward.”

There’s nothing to clean up if Jabrill is clean. The suggestion that he has anything to clean up hints at suspicious that he showed up at Indianapolis unclean.

“We talked to Jabrill about that,” Brown said. “That’s a concern for us. He understands it needs to be something that he’s accountable for and responsible for what he puts in his body and understands that piece of it.”

During his introductory press conference, Peppers sounded confident that it won’t be an issue.

“It was a lot of speculation on a dilute sample, which is just that — dilute,” Peppers said. “They know that I’m a high character guy. I don’t have any off-the-field issues. I have never failed a drug test in my life and never been arrested. If a dilute sample was my worst hiccup in my whole life, I will take that on the chin.”

If that’s all accurate, Peppers simply needs to be sure that no further dilute samples are given when he’s tested over the first 90 days of his career, and potentially another 90 more. With no further positive tests, Peppers will quickly exit the program and be in the same position he would have occupied if he’d never tested positive.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “If dilute sample was a non-issue, Jabrill Peppers and Browns should have no concerns”
  1. redlikethepig says: May 10, 2017 1:01 PM

It was “dilute positive” as I understood it. Big BIG difference.

2. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: May 10, 2017 1:05 PM

Leave it to the Browns to knowingly take a scrub, who oh by the way is a druggie

3. audient says: May 10, 2017 1:08 PM

Dilute means dilute. “Dilute positive” isn’t a thing.

4. abninf says: May 10, 2017 1:13 PM

==================================

Give a diluted sample in the military and you’ll be kicked out so fast you won’t know what happened. Be thankful you aren’t held to a high moral and discipline standard.

5. redlikethepig says: May 10, 2017 1:14 PM

“Dilute means dilute. “Dilute positive” isn’t a thing.”

Yes it is. I’m afraid you’re wrong. It means they found a banned substance, but not in sufficient concentration to call it a positive hit. This is because the urine sample was diluted by excess fluid intake. Look it up.

6. spartanlegend says: May 10, 2017 1:20 PM

abninf says:
    May 10, 2017 1:13 PM
    ==================================

———————————————————-

Totally and completely irrelevant considering he isn’t enlisting in the military

7. lamontdiamond says: May 10, 2017 1:23 PM

Even Maxine Waters isn’t stooopid enough to believe him.

8. ajsjr40 says: May 10, 2017 2:08 PM

It’s amazing that a team like the Browns who have struggled with the great talent of Josh Gordon and weed would even consider going near this kid. He may be as clean as a whistle but it sure doesn’t sound that way. Don’t they ever learn?

9. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: May 10, 2017 2:12 PM

Was there ever a guy in the NFL with the last name of Peppers that wasn’t a good player?

10. LakefrontLegend says: May 10, 2017 2:44 PM

redlikethepig says:
    May 10, 2017 1:01 PM
    It was “dilute positive” as I understood it. Big BIG difference.
    —–
    Dilute positive is a real thing but not in the NFL; you either pass or fail (test positive or produce a dilute sample). In the NFL/Peppers’ case, it was simply a dilute sample; too watered down to reveal anything, but treated as a failed test.

11. bobsacamano2 says: May 10, 2017 3:02 PM

Can’t believe we are still worried about weed. League makes millions off of alcohol and gets on a high horse about weed. I personally don’t smoke it because I don’t like it, and I love some booze. But to place them on unequal moral platforms is ridiculous.

If the players are arrested for either one, treat it accordingly. But it is not performance enhancing. Is alcohol on the substance abuse test list? What a joke.

12. realfootballfan says: May 10, 2017 3:09 PM

Think they might still end up regretting just not listening to the coach and taking Hooker at 12. When he fell there, I was like they’re going to get 2 immediate high impact guys for their defense, which should have been their aim as it was so bad last year.

13. ncfloyd says: May 10, 2017 3:24 PM

Maybe he was just reading some internet sites that advocate that players should be allowed to do recreational drugs.

14. bobthebillsfan says: May 10, 2017 4:54 PM

Hmmm. So you know are going to be tested and still don’t stop taking whatever long enough to pass the test so your plan is to drink a lot of water to fool someone? In what amounts to part of the biggest job interview you’ll ever have?

You can’t teach this level of stupidity.

Keep him away from Josh.

15. semperfiguy1011 says: May 10, 2017 7:32 PM

My goodness, nobody cares about weed any more. Everybody gets high these days, so I don’t see what the big issue is.

16. footballfan says: May 10, 2017 8:30 PM

Maybe they are not worried about weed. Maybe he could have b en positive for something worse. I’m quite sure weed is not the only thing they are looking for.

17. benwaballs11 says: May 10, 2017 8:35 PM

Am I the only person who thinks the real crime here is calling it a “dilute sample” instead of a diluted sample? It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me

18. DitkasHair says: May 11, 2017 12:12 PM

Same ole Browns … nothing to see here, move along

19. cptmars says: May 12, 2017 12:51 PM

Let’s set the record correct as far as the military.

1. Diluted sample is not an automatic termination: Why? because tests are random.

2. Many who tests positive 1st time (junior enlisted) are given the opportunity to clean up and continue on the strait and narrow.

I have actually put soldiers out for a positive test.