ESPN will bring back NFL Matchup for 2017

Getty Images

NFL Matchup, the Xs and Os show that gives great analysis of the game on the field even as ESPN airs it in hard-to-find time slots, will be back for the coming season.

Despite some talk that the show might not survive ESPN’s recent cost-cutting, the network has confirmed that Matchup is back.

NFL Matchup will continue to be part of ESPN’s NFL programming lineup this fall,” ESPN said in a statement to PFT.

Greg Cosell, the show’s longtime senior producer, also said on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville that he will be back on the show.

What is unclear at this point is whether Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge will be back on the show. Some reports have suggested that Jaworski and Hoge will be laid off, although neither of them has said so publicly, nor has ESPN. PFT has been told that ESPN is still determining its talent assignments for NFL studio shows, including Matchup, for the coming season.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “ESPN will bring back NFL Matchup for 2017”
  1. pastabelly says: May 11, 2017 2:43 PM

I’ve heard Cosell on Ross Tucker’s NFL Radio Network show and he’s very good. He should host the show with someone who won’t be fired. Cosell’s is nothing like his old man. I have to say that there was and is nobody quite like Howard Cosell.

2. ricko1112 says: May 11, 2017 2:49 PM

B$PN, the Worldwide Leader in Lies and Misinformation.

I haven’t watched 1 second of that network since they helped Goodell slander the Patriots over and over again during the phony Deflategate myth Mike Kensil made up.

I hope those 100 layoffs are just the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully, that steaming pile of poo in Bristol closes up shop for good!

3. paganmonkey says: May 11, 2017 2:50 PM

Love that show. Enough of the fluff, lets dive into strategy and tactics!

4. toybkshr says: May 11, 2017 2:52 PM

One of the rare ESPN shows that is worthwhile, and it probably could be improved.

5. SincereHuman says: May 11, 2017 2:53 PM

There is a certain amount of merit to asking Hoge the question directly – have you been relieved of your duties at ESPN? Not everyone is going to make a public statement that they have been relieved of duties. Let’s be honest, it is, to degree, humiliating and embarrassing to make that sort of public statement, even if there is no fault. Hopefully, they will all land on their feet.

6. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: May 11, 2017 2:53 PM

They need to bring back NFL Primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson, is what they need to do.

7. realfootballfan says: May 11, 2017 3:16 PM

This is what all of the former jocks hired should be phased into doing instead of the inane opinion shows. This stuff obviously has a market with layman dummies doing it on the internet and people buying what they’re saying. I think if you had shows that focused on the various positions from an all 22 angle with credible players and coaches breaking it down instead of a a couple of plays here and there like on the Matchup show, you’d have a winner. It would also change perceptions of a lot of players who skate on reputations a lot of times when either their play starts to slip or they’ve actually overcome a bad one in the past.

8. toadinthewoods says: May 11, 2017 3:19 PM

It was a decent show, it was meant to bring Xs and Os to television. But they made such an extravagant effort to make sure that there was plenty of “banter” that it became unwatchable to me. “Oh you and your running game, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…” You want Xs and Os, there’s a lot better choices all over the internet.

9. weepingjebus says: May 11, 2017 3:20 PM

I prefer to watch the Belestrator episodes where Belichick breaks down film for you. Oh, you didn’t know that the coach who the media pretends is a sphinx actually has been giving free handouts for years? Yep, it’s like getting advice from almighty Jebus himself, and yet another reason to ignore BSPN.

10. arcross12042004scorp15 says: May 11, 2017 3:26 PM

I would add Glenn Parker and Chris Spielman. I always learn something whenever either of them is on a show.

11. zoneread510 says: May 11, 2017 3:46 PM

When I was in college, I used to watch ESPN Matchup at like 2-3 in the morning. I think that is when they actually aired it on the weekend. Jaws and Hodge made the show. From what I remember, they were very good in the breakdown and got to the point. I haven’t seen the show in years though.

12. donbat67 says: May 11, 2017 3:47 PM

Still not watching ESPN except for games .

13. stipez says: May 11, 2017 3:57 PM

If they laid people off to save money, why are they paying Warder for 2 years? (and how can I get that gig?)

14. 12444uggg says: May 11, 2017 4:04 PM

The NFLN’s version of this show was better and they sacked that.. Oh well, there’s only so much of that I can digest and give a darn about.

15. greggallmansliver says: May 11, 2017 4:09 PM

Jaworski is perfect for this role, it’s what he excels at. Hoge, yeah not so much. Guys named Merrill belong on the Create channel. Need a defense version of Jaws.

16. clevelandforever says: May 11, 2017 4:10 PM

ESPN IS DONE!

17. 26predator says: May 11, 2017 4:12 PM

I actually liked that show but could not tell you what day it comes on or time.

18. pastabelly says: May 11, 2017 6:15 PM

greggallmansliver says:
    May 11, 2017 4:09 PM
    ======================================
    Jaworski lost me when he said, “I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever.”

19. tedmurph says: May 11, 2017 10:44 PM