Steelers don’t think T.J. Watt has to live up to his brother’s name

Getty Images

The Steelers selected J.J. Watt’s little brother in the first round of this year’s draft, and the sooner he stops being known as J.J. Watt’s little brother, the better.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said today on PFT Live that T.J. Watt was drafted to be his own player, and that while the Steelers see it as a positive that he trains in the offseason with one of the best players in the NFL, they drafted him to be T.J., not J.J.

“They do share that same work ethic, that’s nothing but a positive,” Colbert said of the Watt family. “But make no mistake, T.J., I mean, he’s proud of his name, he loves his brothers, but he wants to be known more as T.J. than he does as a Watt. We’re aware of it, we appreciate it, we respect where he’s from, but he and us are eager to see him make his own name.”

It would be virtually impossible for T.J. to become as good a player as his big brother, but the Steelers aren’t setting expectations nearly that high. They just want another good Watt in the NFL.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Steelers don’t think T.J. Watt has to live up to his brother’s name”
  1. torethatbridgeout says: May 11, 2017 8:50 AM

Yes he does.

2. flaccoishermanmunster says: May 11, 2017 8:54 AM

I hope not! Always hurt and delivering meaning-less sacks will not help our run at Stairway to 7

3. touchdownroddywhite says: May 11, 2017 9:09 AM

If he’s half the player his brother is, with the same work ethic, he’ll have a long, productive career.

4. donbat67 says: May 11, 2017 9:17 AM

Hopefully he doesn’t get selfie elbow like big bro .

5. tylawspick6 says: May 11, 2017 9:21 AM

Has roid ridden bust written all over him. Will fit well next to glass Shazier.

6. takeyourpunishmentandquitwhininglikeababy says: May 11, 2017 9:52 AM

He has all the talent to take the Steelers to the AFC championship where they can collectively lay another giant egg.

7. randomperson67 says: May 11, 2017 10:04 AM

out of the league in 4 years, delivering pizzas the rest of his life

8. steelerdeathstar says: May 11, 2017 10:10 AM

A great all-round talent at OLB, who is young and should only get better. I see him quickly developing into a Pro-Bowl type player and team leader. This was an excellent pick by the Steelers.

9. bobthebillsfan says: May 11, 2017 10:13 AM

He doesn’t, but I’m sure he feels the pressure to do so.

10. LionsPride69 says: May 11, 2017 10:45 AM

He’s destined for stardom. Sincerely Boss Bailey

11. electricboogalo says: May 11, 2017 10:53 AM

I watched this kid through most of college career. He and Vince Biegel were the heart of a stout WI defense. I think they both have the ability, work ethic, and competitive spirit to be successful in the NFL. I can’t stand Rothlesassaulter, but wish TJ much success.

12. nhpats says: May 11, 2017 10:59 AM

If Mike Tomlin is coaching the Steelers……does it really matter?

13. elyasm says: May 11, 2017 10:59 AM

I shall always think of him as J.J. Jr.

14. granadafan says: May 11, 2017 11:12 AM

If he wants to stop being JJ’s little brother and be his own man, then perhaps he ought to stop being TJ and go back to his real name of Trent.

15. citizenstrange says: May 11, 2017 12:22 PM

granadafan says:
    May 11, 2017 11:12 AM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that TJ stands for Tijuana.

16. tedmurph says: May 11, 2017 12:39 PM

Steelers made a draft pick. Start carving the bust in Canton. Hopefully they won’t coach him into oblivion

17. steelcurtainn says: May 11, 2017 12:40 PM

How nice pick up a sb ring as a rookie.

18. purpleguy says: May 11, 2017 1:19 PM

That’s funny seeing as how his name literally is only one letter different. I wonder how many times his mom got them mixed up when she yelled at them as kids — I even mix up my dogs’ names with my kids’ names.

19. aj66shanghai says: May 11, 2017 1:26 PM

Steelers shouldn’t be so pessimistic. I’m sure TJ will lead them to just as many Lombardis as JJ has won

20. beerbratscheese says: May 14, 2017 9:32 PM

As a Packers fan, it’ll be real interesting following his career. The Packers would have likely taken him with the 29th pick, had they not traded it. And a lot of Packers fans are upset that they didn’t take him.

So it’ll be very interesting to monitor and compare his NFL career with Kevin King’s. The other twist is the trade they made that moved them down to take King, also gave them the pick that they drafted Vince Biegel with.

I’m hoping for a long, successful career for T.J., but I’m also hoping the Packers come out ahead in the trade.