Joe Thomas: Rookie David Njoku thought I was a coach

Getty Images

On a Browns roster that has been built by adding a large number of rookies in the last two drafts, the 32-year-old offensive tackle Joe Thomas stands out as an old man. But he’s not as old as one rookie teammate thinks he is.

Browns first-round tight end David Njoku met Thomas for the first time at a team event this week and thought Thomas was a coach, not a player.

“It was an honor being invited to dinner with the Browns rookies tonight,” Thomas wrote on Twitter. “Funniest moment of the night was when David Njoku asked me if I was a coach! I told him I’m a player/coach. Mostly I’ll be coaching, but you will see me playing on Sundays.”

Thomas is closer in age to some of the Browns’ coaches than he is to the 20-year-old Njoku, but Thomas has a few more good years of playing left in him.

37 responses to “Joe Thomas: Rookie David Njoku thought I was a coach

1. Joe is an absolute gem. Not only is he a great football player, but he seems to be a good guy with a good sense of humor. The Browns are lucky that he has put up with everything for his whole career. They should pay him whatever he wants until he decides to hang them up.

2. Put Thomas out to pasture already. The guy is becoming a running joke: the lovable loser on a moribund franchise.

3. Nice to see a regular, innocent story that has humor to it as opposed to the miserable negative stuff that keeps popping up.

Thomas is a quality player. Wish he was on my team!

4. njoku and thomas are both going to have great years..njoku will end up being the better miami te browns have drafted in the first round.

5. r502 says:
    May 12, 2017 2:25 PM

—————————————————————-

I think what you meant was that he HAS BECOME the most loyal NFL player of all time. Only a complete piece of trash would find a way to bad-mouth Joe Thomas.

6. “I told him I’m a player/coach. Mostly I’ll be coaching, but you will see me playing on Sundays.”

This sums up Joe’s career. Always trying to make the team better.

7. Joe Thomas is to the Browns what Andrew Whitworth was to the Bengals.

Elite tackles who seem to be great guys off of the field as well.

Can’t say a bad thing about the guy.

8. Looks like the “Njoku” is on him — he was staring at a future first ballot HOF’er.

9. r502 says:
    May 12, 2017 2:25 PM

——————————————-

Joe Thomas has made the pro bowl in every single season he has played in the NFL, and is the only offensive lineman in history to make it every year for their first 7 seasons.

I guess we have a slightly different definition of loser.

10. He’s a player GM/coach. Remember every new regime has to get his acceptance before being hired.

With that being said Joe Thomas is probably top 3 in greatest first round draft picks of the current millennium. Pretty good for a guy who people thought the Browns were dumb for taking because they supposedly needed a QB.

11. mrfrostyj says:
    May 12, 2017 3:02 PM

________________________

They did and they still do but that doesn’t mean Thomas wasn’t a great pick.

12. Oh paulie, you nailed this one!!!

paulieorkid says:

13. drock36 says:
    May 12, 2017 3:47 PM
    Has any player lost more games than him – other than an expansion team?

Are kickers counted as players? My first thought was Morten Anderson, but even with a few extra years in there, he wasn’t able to beat out Jason Hanson, who suffered through 21 seasons with the Lions. Now, I may have miscounted somewhere, but it seems that he was on the wrong end of the scoreboard 210 times. They did make the postseason 6 times during his tenure, but… they lost every single one of those, too.

14. Joe Thomas seems like such a great guy. I hope he gets an announcing job or otherwise stays in the spotlight once his playing days are through.

15. Njoku, never the smartest bulb on the tree. There’s a reason he left school so early.

16. r502 says:
    May 12, 2017 2:25 PM

_________________________________

I assume you mean get him out of the league, but to whom are you speaking? Would they even have the power to do that?

The Browns can’t put him out to pasture… another team would scoop him up quick and they’d have to pay good money to do it.

The league can’t put him out to pasture… his track record of conduct is spotless.

The only one who can put Joe Thomas out to pasture is Joe Thomas… and he has absolutely nothing to lose by continuing to play after spending 10 year on the Browns’ roster. Who knows, they might even pull out a winning record at some point.

17. Old Yeller is a far better story than starting and finishing your career as a Browns Hall of Famer.

18. I’m surprised that the angle of this story wasn’t that somehow the league and the Browns are getting a veteran player to coach for free all week and then play on Sunday, and that somehow the union should make sure Thomas got paid to coach too.

19. Someway, somehow this guy needs to experience a winning team and get in the playoffs, he deserves it.

20. Can’t expect much in the intelligence category from Njoku. It was either go into the draft of fail out of Miami. Yeah, the University of Miami, that beacon of educational learning.

21. He was blessed with athletic ability to be HOFer, but it tells the story about him, your invisible man that disssapear as a leader, I remember he went fishing on draft day, the most important day of your young life and you seem not to care.
    I guess nobody is perfect

22. jag1959 says:
    May 12, 2017 3:17 PM

mrfrostyj says:
    May 12, 2017 3:02 PM

________________________

They did and they still do but that doesn’t mean Thomas wasn’t a great pick.

_________________________

Top QB’s in the 2007 draft = Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb and Drew Stanton

Browns were reamed for picking Thomas

Browns went 10-6 Joe Thomas’ rookie year with Derek Anderson who was already on their roster.

They absolutely didn’t need a QB in that draft.

23. Getting sick of hearing about Joe Thomas already. The guy has as many articles about him as The Kneeler does.