Beth Mowins, Rex Ryan to call Week 1 Monday Night game on ESPN

Getty Images

ESPN is set to assign play-by-play broadcaster Beth Mowins and the newly hired Rex Ryan to call the late game of its Monday Night Football doubleheader in Week One.

The pairing hasn’t been officially announced, but Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated reports that that’s ESPN’s plan. Mowins and Ryan have worked together once before, calling Florida State’s spring game.

Mowins has many years of experience calling college football and has also served as the Raiders’ preseason broadcaster. She will be the first woman to do play-by-play on an NFL regular-season game since Gayle Sierens worked for NBC in 1987. Ryan joined ESPN this year, after he was fired as the head coach of the Bills.

The Chargers will meet the Broncos in the late Monday Night Football game on September 11.

99 responses to “Beth Mowins, Rex Ryan to call Week 1 Monday Night game on ESPN

1. Well, that’s one game I won’t be watching. It’ll be another love fest for a big mouth coach who did nothing in the NFL as a head coach.
    ESPN fires good people like Ed Werder and they turn around and hire a big mouth, self promoting guy who was 61 and 66 as a head coach, and ruined the Bills defense in one year.
    Werder, always a classy guy, got laid off from ESPN and had to put his pet dog down in the same week. A reporter said to him that it must have been his worse week ever. He said that it really wasn’t, that having doctors tell you your 12 year old daughter has a brain tumor or years later having doctors tell her fiance that he has colon cancer were worse.
    Rex Ryan is a jerk, and that’s exactly the type of people ESPN wants working for them. It’s no wonder people are turning them off.

2. Well looks like I won’t be watching that game! Mowins voice is the equivalent of a nails on a chalk board. ESPN just doesn’t get it. She is by far the worst play by play they have for college football,.

3. I would think that pairing a woman with Rex Ryan is intentional, and another attempt to foist the feminist imperative on men, particularly our younger, less aware men. I have no problem with the lady. It’s just that by making this the opening game, and the odd pairing, it’s definitely a political statement. It reminds me of ESPN, and how they are going down for the very same thing….. The NFL did not make it’s bones on the people it is trying to please right now. I would be very careful if I were the NFL WHILE THINGS LOOK GOOD RIGHT NOW, THIS THING COULD TURN ON A DIME because people are so tired of it. The NFL has forgotten who made them what they are.

4. Hey, espn. This is why everyone is bailing on you. You seem to go out of your way to alienate middle America on a regular basis. Thank goodness I can listen to the game on the internet for free!

5. As long as she doesn’t wear sandals or open toed shoes it should be fine.

6. Lets hope Beth doesn’t wear open toed shoes during the broadcast. Ryan will be very distracted for some reason.

7. Enough with the woman broadcasters. You have ruined

ESPN by putting women on every show now YOU ARE

going to ruin my football. She has the worst voice,and if

I wanted to listen to a woman during a game. That would

be my wife and that ain’t happening.

8. Beth did several Penn State games that we watched. Got no problem with her, after getting over it was a Woman, in the beginning, it was easy to forget during the remainder of the games. She was also a very good and patient teacher for her side kicks. As a side note, she was a jock at Penn State.

9. More of ESPN trying to be politically correct by hiring a woman commentator. Women commentators just don’t sound right as football commentators. Their voices are too high. Bad move.

10. A woman and a moron. 3 hours of listening to talk about shoes & feet. This should be fantastic!

11. Anyone who is eagerly awaiting Rex Ryan’s commentary is about 4 months away from having a looooong think about how they set their expectations.

12. I’m sure she’s a nice lady, but she has that news reporter voice that just drives me crazy. Turned off many college games because she was announcing.

13. I think Ryan will do great, frankly. He certainly has the personality & knowledge to do so! And, it will be refreshing compared to some of the ho-hum broadcasters we see on a weekly basis 🙂

14. Is there anyway for the NFL to terminate ESPN’s MNF contract before the start of the season? I’m not interested in having a political agenda shoved down my throat when I’m just trying to watch a game.

15. Really???? Beth Mowin? She’s very hard to listen to when she attempts to call a game. Notice I said attempts…

Not that her partner is going to be any easier to listen to.

16. cuda1234 says:
    May 15, 2017 6:26 AM

————————————————————–
    I’m trying to understand what this means – is it something like a woman’s place is in the kitchen?

17. nyneal says:
    May 15, 2017 5:35 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^

Truer words have never been spoken.

18. ESPN just doesn’t get it. They continue to shove equality down their viewers throats, at least what is left of them.

19. Just another example of ESPN trying to be the story instead of covering the story. I’m sure it has nothing to do with why people are not watching ESPN though.

20. Is the c-team? No wonder I cut the cord.

The NFL employs all these players that beat up women, so they now encourage diversity. Will Rex get the marbles out of his mouth?

espn is a joke.

21. Not a sexist, I completely believe in Gender Equality – but no fan of gender that has NO relevance to the sport they are broadcasting….if this was tennis, soccer, basketball, golf,horse racing, or even baseball (YES folks there once was the”Coors Light Silver Bullets” the all- female”professional” baseball team)- I’d have no problem.What can a women bring to the broadcast, other than looks? Suzy Kolber is probably the “best” because she IS knowledgeable but sometimes still hard to watch & she’s been doing it for years!
    It’s bad enough we have to hear them chime-in about a sport they can only learn about from watching game tape, notes or interviews, not that some of the male sportscasters are ANY better in that regards!
    It’s still nice to have one professional sport that hasn’t been tainted by being forced to have women on it’s playing field.
    OK -I’ve said my piece…bring on the Boo Birds

22. Hiring bombastic self-absorbed Rex and pushing the alt-left agenda with Beth Mowens just following the bloodletting of real talent.

ESPN solidifies its well deserved reputation is a crap network.

23. bassplucker says:
    May 15, 2017 7:41 AM
    No thanks. Too bad too cause it should be a good game.
    =====================

Why would you miss out on the game? There is a mute button on that remote isn’t there?

24. Many of you are just closet bigots! You don’t want women involved and you don’t want minorities on your TV screen. I’m sure this is not your idea of “make America great again”.
    ESPN/CBS/NBC/ABC all have plenty of bad announcers & play-by-play that aren’t as distinguished as Beth.
    I’m more mad at them hiring Rex Ryan and putting him on MNF than I am the female. At least she has credentials for broadcasting, including a Masters in Communications from Syracuse. What does Rex have that shows he can call a game? Same with Romo…same with Cutler! Maybe things should return to the days of silent movies…just show the games, no announcers.

25. Guess a lot of people will be finding the radio broadcast combined with the TV mute button.

26. jonwill57 says:
    May 15, 2017 10:05 AM
    Many of you are just closet bigots!
    ======================

They’re closet bigots? Seems more like the bulk of them are right out in the open on this one.

27. Ignoring for a moment the macro-level issues people have with ESPN, I know I’m in the minority here, but I think Rex Ryan will be a very entertaining analyst.

28. Well at least this story gives the usual drooling racists on PFT a day off, and the chance to spew their misogyny instead.

29. I never decide if I’m going to watch a game or not on who is broadcasting it.

Surprised so many do.

30. I’d rather listen to three hours of someone raking their fingernails over a chalkboard than listen to Beth Mowins. She is my least favorite play-by-play announcer of all time. If ESPN is hoping to gain viewership that is not the way to do it.

31. If you think she’s hard to listen to because of her particular voice, fine. But I don’t see why having women broadcasters is so terrible or leftist. She has credentials and experience, so it’s not like she’s unqualified. I don’t have a problem with her.

Rex Ryan? That’s a whole other story. How is he better than that entire cruise ship full of people that just got canned?

32. Ok. And just to prove this isn’t more forced diverse window-dressing, the network is bringing back Tony Siragusa to do sideline reporting on the 2017 NCAA Div. II Field Hockey Championship.

33. Sept 11th 2001- Arguably the worst day in U.S history.

Sept 11th 2017-Unarguably the worst day in sports announcing in U.S. history.

34. maust1013 says:

==================================

Bigotry is the intolerance towards people with different views, according to Websters. You don’t seem to be tolerant towards the vast majority of us.

35. jonwill57 says:

==========================================

That’s not bigotry. You liberals throw that word out as a marketing tool against anyone who doesn’t think like you but you don’t even know what it means.

Bigotry is an intolerance towards people with different views. Read that real close then look in the mirror.

36. No one loves and respects women more than I do. That said, I do not want to listen to a woman doing NFL games, any more than I would want to listen to a woman calling a men’s boxing match.
    I am of the generation which believes that there is a difference between men and women, and that there are some areas where men fit better and some areas where women fit better.
    If that makes some call me sexist, I don’t care, because it’s not the truth. I have a granddaughter whom I adore and would do anything for. But I wouldn’t want to listen to her call an NFL game, either.
    I’d be willing to bet that many women who are football fans agree with me on that.
    I am all for ESPN giving Beth Mowins a shot at announcing NFL games. But I have the right not to want to listen to her doing it.
    Here in NY, Suzyn Waldman has been doing Yankees games on the radio for years. She is horrible at it and so is her partner, John Sterling. But the Yankees don’t seem to care. I refuse to listen to them, even when they replay the highlights of the games. They have to be among the two worst broadcasting partners in history.

37. Go back 50 years and these are the same folks who would decry a black man calling a game.

38. It’s fair to say whether or not you like Mowins’s voice, but she’s definitely qualified and there’s no reason a woman can’t call the game.

Let’s be honest – most male announcers have no special first-hand experience with football; they just like it and got trained journalistically on it. We’re used to hearing their voices more, so the typical “announcer affectation” speaking style sounds “natural” to us when spoken by a man. But it’s just a learned behavior.

I prefer analysts to have been coaches or players, for obvious reasons, but the play-by-play people are just people who’ve been trained for that task. Mowin has been, and she has enough experience that this seems totally appropriate.

39. hawaiifunfnull says:
    May 15, 2017 12:53 PM
    There are some seriously insecure men on display here. All of you have mothers. The fact that some of you have daughters is very disconcerting.
    __________________

I wouldn’t want my mother (or daughter) calling the game either!!!

40. the beta males on here who think this is an awesome thing are the same guys who show up to a men’s poker party with his wife and spoils the whole thing because he can’t tell her no.