Michael Bennett: Seattle’s the “perfect place” for Colin Kaepernick

Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick the protester already had support in the Seahawks locker room.

Now that there’s at least the suggestion of the potential for a possible deal there maybe, one of their most vocal players said he thinks the move would be well-received.

Defensive end Michael Bennett said during an interview on 710 ESPN that he thought Seattle would be the “perfect place” for Kaepernick.

“I think a person that’s dedicating their life to creating change, why wouldn’t you want that type of leadership in your locker room?” Bennett said. “Why wouldn’t you want a young person that’s dealt with people wanting to kill him because of his choices in life? So I don’t know why people feel like that is a problem.

“I think that Kaepernick getting the opportunity to be on our team would be really cool, would really be a good place for him because you have a coach like coach [Pete] Carroll who is up for challenges like that. You have an owner who spends and gives back to the homeless. You’ve got players on your team that give back in the community. You’ve got Russell Wilson who shows that our team is built around community. So this is a perfect place for him.”

Of course, Bennett was already on the record as being in Kaepernick’s corner last year, when the former 49ers quarterback was kneeling during the national anthem. But Bennett also thinks it would be a good fit on the field, for a team without a proven option behind Wilson.

“I think you look at the things he’s done over the years, on this team, we’re a running-based offense and [to] be able to play the [read] option would give him a lot of opportunities to be able to be a featured player in the NFL again,” Bennett said. “I think we’ve got a great system, great players, and we’ve got Russell, who’s won a lot of games too. So it’d be good for him.”

While the Seahawks are the only team known to have reached out to Kaepernick, it’s still far from clear whether they actually want him. But if they were waiting to see how the trial balloon would go over in their locker room, they now have their answer — such that they wouldn’t have anticipated it.

91 responses to “Michael Bennett: Seattle’s the “perfect place” for Colin Kaepernick

1. Right or wrong, Kaepernick’s protest was a case study in the idiom there’s a time and place for everything.

2. A perfect combo. Nonsensical blowhard Michael Bennett and Anti American Colin Kaepernick. Put those two Pea’s in a Pod with Richard Sherman and you now have the most disliked team in the NFL.

Can’t wait to root against them.

3. Dedicated his life to making change, right up to the point that it hit his wallet.
    Then, suddenly, he did not have the courage of his convictions.

4. Also, with his free time as a backup QB, Mr. K would be free to help the coach disseminate his opinions about how the US government engineered the whole 9/11 thing.

5. In 2012 and 2013 it sure looked like Wilson v. Kaepernick would be a showdown for the ages for years to come.

The 2013/2014 NFC championship game was one of the best football games I can remember seeing.

6. I really dislike Kap, and have since he came out of Nevada. However, I can’t really argue Bennett’s points. It would be good for him but not for the Seahawks. The hawks are looking for a quality back-up to Wilson. Sure Kap can run the read-option but that is such a small portion of our playbook now. Kap can’t read a defense and can only throw line drive passes at about 60mph. He has no touch, no finesse, and he’s a drama queen.

7. Wow….Michael Bennett and Colin Kaepernick.

Between the two, I doubt they can complete one rational thought.

Perfect for each other!

8. This is actually a great idea. I Hope it works out for Seahawks. And Kaepernick is a hero. He has had many veterans serving vouch for him. His kneeling was not an insult to the flag. Those who say it is are deflecting and do not want to talk about the real issue. This guy has donated more in one year than all of the people who down vote this will do in their lifetime.

9. 26predator says:
    May 16, 2017 3:20 PM
    ——-
    When is there ever the right time and place for a protest? When it’s convenient for you? Protests are, by nature, disruptive and inconvenient. That’s the point.

10. I wonder if Kapernick will supply the team with those pig socks…..Pete Carroll a very well paid champeroin.

11. Michael Bennett is stupid and everyone sees it but him.

His reasons were painful to read.

A billionaire donates money to the homeless. Hes a good guy. Wow

12. Bennett also makes political statements that I don’t care for. So yeah it would be a good place for Kaep to kneel. He will be on a team we don’t like, so it’s perfect.

13. Funny how other players react to others for bombing their career and place of employment.
    Kap is cancer. Good luck to that market.

14. The NFL and its locker room are for players. Those who want to “dedicating their life to create change” can join some social justice cause.

The NFL is a business not a platform.

15. Hope Kap gets signged and continues the great work he’s already done! This is such a great fit. I’m not a Seattle fan but they’re a tightly grouped bunch of excellent young men. I feel this can help Kap gain back football credibility as a lot of people have written him off due to his play the last couple of years and then the whole anthem protest really pissed people off which I thought was great! Sparked a good conversation and he backed it up with the good he did in the black community. Don’t listen to these ppl Kap! Keep up the good work you’ve been doing! You have support from real Americans everywhere.

16. If people hate their country so much, you don’t have to stay. In fact, I seem to recall a lot of promises about moving to Canada. Of course, it turns out Canada has a surprisingly robust immigration system.

17. Well there u have it folks. My Hawks are a circus. Between Sherman and Bennetts mouth, Lacys weight, RW3 wanting to be a celebrity step dad…whats next?

18. Kaepernick won the Len Eshmont award last year. It’s an award, voted on by his teammates (49ers). It’s given to the player that exemplifies inspiration and courageous play. So he’s obviously going to be popular and welcome in any locker room. Seattle is a pretty progressive city. They’ll welcome him with open arms.

19. They haven’t signed him yet. If the hawks were truly interested in him for his talent it wouldn’t have taken so long. They are making a political statement that they agree with his “protest”, trying to make him feel better. Which is what the country is all about nowadays.

20. LakefrontLegend says:

You are, of course, correct.
    However, when one decides to take an unpopular stand and protests on their employer’s time and dime, they shouldn’t act surprised or pretend to be wounded when they’re no longer employed.
    Employers have rights and the ability to take a stand, too. Right?

21. The people who hate Kaepernick are the same people believe that all homeless people should just “pull themselves up by their bootstraps”. They will disregard the specific circumstances of each individual. Well here’s some info for ya: Even at the league minimum Kaepernick will make more in 7 months than most of you reading this will make in 18 years (based on the median salary in U.S. of $51,000). Point is, DON’T HATE!

22. raiderej says:
    The people who hate Kaepernick are the same people believe that all homeless people should just “pull themselves up by their bootstraps”. . . . Well here’s some info for ya: Even at the league minimum Kaepernick will make more in 7 months than most of you reading this will make in 18 years (based on the median salary in U.S. of $51,000). Point is, DON’T HATE!

I defy you to prove your first statement in any way, shape or form.
    As for the second, intelligent and thinking people don’t base their opinion of others based on how much money they make. I don’t give a rat’s rear end how much money Colin Kaepernick does or doesn’t have. It means absolutely zilch to me, and has nothing whatsoever to do with how I view the man, for better or worse.
    Point is, DONT ASSUME!

23. @weepingjebus

I would actually argue that he loves his country enough to put his livelihood on the line. What makes you think he hates his country?

24. So many accusations being made that large groups of people that you have never met (including the entire population of Seattle) hate America.

If you really love what America stands for then you understand that fellow Americans are allowed to point out flaws that undermine the promise of “liberty and justice for all” and take action to rectify them.

Granted, I agree that your place of employment isn’t the right place to do it, but if you really think that the act of protesting in and of itself is Anti-American (which is how alot of the opposition to Kaep comes across) then your blind patriotism is much closer to fascism than may realize.

America is not God… it’s just the best system that we have come up with so far. It is designed to change and grow with its people. We can continue to make it greater and greater, but to do this it is critical that fellow Americans be allowed to speak up when injustices are inflicted upon them. To say these people hate America is so unpatriotic that you should feel the irony slapping you in the face when you say it.

25. Meh.
    Most of us were at least as dumb as Kaep when we were his age, minus the cash and public attention. It’s amazing that any NFL player stays out of trouble.

26. illmatic8582 says:
    May 16, 2017 3:40 PM

———————————————————–
    This is so wrong on so many levels. First, the left doesn’t want to ‘talk’ about anything, they will tell you how to think though. Second, if there were a discussion, the facts don’t come out on Kaepernick’s side, statistics don’t lie. Finally, Kaepernick’s entire argument seems to come from some of the most culturally Marxist people in the country, whose goal isn’t social discourse or anything remotely altruistic, they are just in the ‘divide’ part of ‘divide and conquer’. He’s either been offered a place at the table by these people, or he’s an unwitting rube (like so many, many others) in their quest for power.

27. it wasn’t politics that kept teams from signing him, it was lack of talent. if russell wilson burnt the american flag instead of standing for it, then became a free agent teams would have been killing each other to sign him

28. illmatic8582 says:
    May 16, 2017 3:40 PM

__________________________________
    You had me actually thinking and considering your points until that last line. He can make the claim that he donates more in a year than I will in a lifetime because he makes more in a year than I will in a lifetime. I would bet that proportionate to income, many people (myself included) give more than he does..whether it be money, time or talent.

29. @notlistinin

I will agree that the left doesn’t let anyone get a word in and are pretty much bullies if you disagree with them. I feel that right or wrong kaep brought something out to the forefront that many people choose to look away from and it is costing him.

@mikeinminny
    Your right that last line was spoken in frustration. There is no way for me to ever know who here donates what. Or who would donate how much of they were millionaires.

I just think that Kaep did the right thing but maybe he could’ve done it more gracefully. Regardless his intentions were in the right place and he DOES NOT deserve all the venom he receives.

There are a lot more places we can channel our aggression and our time than putting it on a QB who is trying to make the world a better place in his own way.

30. As long as he is not on my favorite team I’m ok with it. Seattle looks like a good fit for him, except he has no chance at the starting job barring injury.

31. When Kaep starts being willing to accept middle of the road journeyman backup salary and embrace that as his role he will then be a good fit to cover a gap for some team and will get signed. Idc about the politics this is a football decision and the team that signs him I will still watch no problem.

32. don’t worry. Michael Bennett’s iq is low. no one will listen to him.
    kap will continue to kneel.

33. If someone served in the military or as a policeman and understood the daily grind and dangers of it, they would qualify to “dedicate their lives for change”

When a person doesn’t vote, never served, and then protests it means nothing to most of us.

What he did meant nothing to me and to most Americans.

34. Love my team, hate the city. Even I can’t defend the Seahawks doing something so stupid. Hopefully this trial balloon goes down in flames. He’s a terrible fit, can’t play and hates America. Let him work at McDonald’s.

35. So Seattle picked up a washed up running back from Green Bay and now they have a declining QB from San Fransisco. These are as good decisions as like throwing the ball inside the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl instead of using your workhorse back.

36. comments on PFT have single-handedly accelerated the fall of the world into Idiocracy.

Dwayne Elizondo Moutain Dew Herbert Camacho for President in 2020!

37. What a lost group of souls Seattle is. Wouldn’t be surprise if the Cascadia Fault Zone decides to pay them a visit.

38. ecniner says:
    May 16, 2017 4:16 PM

Didn’t he pay hush money for that domestic violence case too??? More great news.
    _________________________________

I’m not certain whether or not that true, but if you are referring to settling out of court as “hush money” then you should know that doesn’t actually affirm any guilt on his part.

Going to trial requires an unappealing amount of time, energy, and money in the form of exorbitant legal costs. Settling out of court for a much smaller amount of money than they would stand to lose in the trial often makes more sense to accusees regardless of whether or not they actually did anything wrong.

39. decon49 says:

even before his protests kap was never regarded as a leader in the locker room
    =================================

Yeah, nobody remembers that his girlfriend was Aldon Smith’s girlfriend before Kaepernick backstabbed him. Didn’t go over too well in the locker room.

40. weepingjebus says:

=====================================

You ever notice none of those people say they’ll move to Mexico? Wonder why?

41. LakefrontLegend says:
    May 16, 2017 3:48 PM
    26predator says:
    May 16, 2017 3:20 PM
    ——-

————————————-

When I spend $300 plus to take my family to a ball game for an afternoon/evening of fun to support my team plus parking $ and concessions $, I dont want to be “disrupted” or “inconvenienced”.

42. As a Seahawk fan, I would hate Kaepernick being on the team. The last thing this team needs is more distractions and that’s all this would lead to.

43. Yawn. He’s a backup qb. Just like we told you niner fans the whole time. You can keep your trash as far as I’m concerned, and that is solely based and what a terrible qb he is. It would be funny to see him come in during garbage time of the two niner losses on the upcoming season and score on you though. But honestly, I could care less.

44. The problem with Kap as a QB is that if he isn’t using his legs significantly the defense will key on the pass and he simply not accurate enough to beat anyone consistently through the air. This is why Wilson IS an extremely efficient and effective QB, he is accurate.

Set aside Kap’s method of protest and he’s just not a great QB. Is he a good backup? Yeah probably, but do the positives out weight the negatives? I’m not so sure.

And didn’t he opt-out and void the remaining contract he had with the 49ers? I’ll bet he is regretting that right about now. He’ll be lucky to more than 1.5M from any team as a backup.

45. Hopefully Seattle signs Kaepernick. Can’t wait see you haters choke on your own spit in outrage and proclaim “I’m never watching the NFL again!!” Lol.

46. From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Where else in the USA but in Seattle can you find a 16 ft bronze statue of Vladimir Lenin comrade.

47. I’m a Seattle fan, lived here since ’95, and Kaepernick has my total respect and support.

48. As a Hawk fan not a fan of signing Kaep.
    Skills have regressed, his summer session with Kurt Warner
    didn’t change anything.
    If it’s for in neighborhood of 900k, then whatever, I am not
    going to second guess the front office.
    After that great NFC Championship game in Seattle in 2014 I thought this guy was going to be a thorn in Seattle and NFC West side for next several seasons.
    But it unraveled pretty quickly

49. Really guys soooo much hate for kap……ok, it pissed me off when the kneeling for the flag thing happened. When he explained it I understood, just didn’t think it was the right platform to do it and obviously the rest of the NFL felt the same way or else he’d have a job. A lot of the people who say disrespectfull things about him are the exact people who committed these injustices or watch them being done and don’t see a problem with it.

50. Seattle has always been the Land of Misfit Toys, the home for the odd ducks who really wouldn’t fit in anywhere else. Rugged individualism is not only tolerated here…it’s celebrated! Players come here for a multitude of reasons, but all of them leave here with an entirely different outlook. I actually think Kaep would thrive in Seattle and the Hawks would have a functional back-up for a QB who rarely misses a game. Win-win as long as they don’t pay him too much.