Tre Boston saw God at a gas station, signed with the Chargers

Getty Images

There are a couple of different ways to look at this one.

One could say that a simple act of kindness set lucky Tre Boston down a new path, and to the other side of the country and a bright future.

Or one could say that gas fumes may have turned poor Tre Boston into Jimmy Haslam, soliciting future-altering football advice from a homeless guy.

I guess it sort of depends on what kind of person you are.

Here’s the story on the safety’s decision to sign with the Chargers rather than the Bills or the Steelers, via Eric Williams of ESPN.com. It begins with Boston pondering his future after being cut by the Panthers, and stopping to top off his tank at a Charlotte gas station when he met a man who would change his life.

“I crossed two lanes to get to the gas station,” Boston said. “I pump my gas. After I pump my gas, I put my wallet in my car. After I put my wallet in my car, there’s a guy with three kids and he asked me for a little bit of change, or if I had a dollar or two. I gave him a $20.

“So he tells me thank you so much, and that God put me in his life for a reason. And in my mind I’m saying you’re here for a reason, too. So in my mind I’m saying should I ask him, ‘L.A. or Buffalo.’ And before I could ask him, my man told me, ‘Thank you so much. There aren’t too many people like you in this world, God’s children. My name’s Mike Daniels, but people call me L.A.‘”

Boston was moved to tears, interpreted the man’s name as a sign from above, looked back at the gas station and saw a card that said “Jesus Saves,” and ended up talking to him for a half-hour and giving him four more $20s.

“I ended up giving him $100 because I knew he changed my life, just like I knew I changed his life,” Boston said. “Honestly, that’s the reason why I’m here. It didn’t matter how much money was given to me. It didn’t matter really who was on the team, it just happened to be a great fit.

“God told me to come here, and that’s my testimony. And that’s why I’m here.”

That story’s enough of a reason to root for Boston, who did what more people should do — he stopped and listened and shared his good fortune.

But he’s really, really lucky the guy’s name wasn’t Mike Manziel.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Home, Los Angeles Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Tre Boston saw God at a gas station, signed with the Chargers”
  1. mongo3401 says: May 17, 2017 2:02 PM

Pretty cool story. He didn’t see God but as usual God made sure an important message was delivered. Pretty darn awesome

2. learysdisciples says: May 17, 2017 2:06 PM

I saw God at a gas station once, he was driving the coolest semi.

3. pantherfan4life says: May 17, 2017 2:07 PM

Some people will mock this story but I honestly think that god talks to us all the time in ways like this if we only listen.

4. The Phantom Stranger says: May 17, 2017 2:11 PM

I don’t know if God put that man in his life, but if he believes it, I hope he uses his time in L.A. to do a lot of good because of it. I like that story a lot more than “I came here because they offered the most money.”

5. jacktatumsforearm says: May 17, 2017 2:12 PM

Did Tre pass his latest drug test?

6. RegisHawk says: May 17, 2017 2:15 PM

Did Jimmy Haslam ever get his money back from that guy?

7. fiddlinred says: May 17, 2017 2:27 PM

God likes LA more than Buffalo as evidenced by the weather.

8. denverscott says: May 17, 2017 2:34 PM

CTE.

9. sirjoeshmoe2015 says: May 17, 2017 2:34 PM

Did god ask him for a quarter to get into Heaven?

10. jimmyt says: May 17, 2017 2:37 PM

L.A. has a team now?

11. tdubdizzle says: May 17, 2017 2:37 PM

Only God knows if Trey is trippin or not.

Sounds like he was looking for a sign. Be careful what you perceive Trey.

12. schmitty2 says: May 17, 2017 2:37 PM

Cool story but Tre must have not heard the part where God warned him about playing his home games for the next 2 years in 30k soccer stadium in a state with the highest taxes in the nation.

13. clayjtitan66 says: May 17, 2017 2:45 PM

Faith is belief without evidence.

14. scmems07 says: May 17, 2017 2:53 PM

I’m sure he’ll get mocked for this because making fun of religion has become the “in” thing to do. But if he believes this encounter was a message to him on what he should do then good for him. If his beliefs are going to help him stay on a good path throughout his life, help him make better decisions, be a better husband/father, help others and be a better man then it shouldn’t matter what his beliefs are. This is a great story and I’m happy for him.

15. ajg314 says: May 17, 2017 2:54 PM

That’s a pretty nice story Darin. Thanks.

16. niners816 says: May 17, 2017 3:02 PM

God is good!! I feel like a Seattle fan now, I’m rooting for someone I haven’t really watched. Good for you, Tre!

17. niners816 says: May 17, 2017 3:04 PM

All of you making fun of him for believing in God. It sickens me. I hope you all find God in one way or another. You’re missing out. I’ll pray for you. Good for you, Tre!

18. pbutler526 says: May 17, 2017 3:09 PM

This is what people do when they can’t make their own decisions.

19. spartanlegend says: May 17, 2017 3:12 PM

That’s a really cool story. I’m not a religious person but there have been a couple of times in my life where I’ve needed to make a decision and I’ve been shown a sign as to what I should do. Not sure if it was God that showed me but who knows?

20. The Phantom Stranger says: May 17, 2017 3:27 PM

clayjtitan66 says:
    May 17, 2017 2:45 PM

Faith is belief without evidence.
    ______

Close, but faith is actually belief without proof. If I have faith that my parachute will open after I jump out of a plane, it’s because similar parachutes have opened in the past. There’s evidence to support my faith but there’s no proof that it will happen this time. There is a lot of evidence for the existence of God but no proof. Belief without evidence is just crazy or stubbornness.

21. flipola says: May 17, 2017 4:37 PM

Hope he looked like God from South Park.

22. pkrlvr says: May 17, 2017 4:39 PM

Faith is belief without evidence.
    ——-
    And one step away from crazy….

23. mnrasslinggovjesse says: May 17, 2017 4:44 PM

In any event he seems like a good man and I wish him success.

24. weepingjebus says: May 17, 2017 5:46 PM

I used to doubt this sort of thing but then had a bunch of weird stuff happen to me that was impossible to write off as coincidences. Sometimes you just need to be open to it and paying attention. Good luck to both of them.

25. jimbobcooterqbtutor says: May 17, 2017 5:48 PM

I’m not religious but I liked the story. I found it interesting. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll find God again.

26. MichaelEdits says: May 17, 2017 6:51 PM

I was at that gas station. I wanted to go to the bathroom, but the door was locked, so I just had to #KeepPounding.

27. abninf says: May 17, 2017 7:02 PM

pkrlvr says:

Faith is belief without evidence.
    ——-
    And one step away from crazy….
    ===============================

And since you have no evidence of your belief, either, you must be crazy.

28. ak185 says: May 17, 2017 7:23 PM

Maybe God was behind it. Maybe God wasn’t. But no matter the case, it’s still a cool story. If we do accept that God did tell him to come to L.A., we should also keep in mind that it may not have necessarily have been for football reasons. Maybe it was for him personally. Just throwing that out there for consideration.

Good luck Tre, and as someone said, it’s definitely a much better story than coming for the money or even for a ring. And I think we can all agree, faithful or not, that Boston did a good thing by that man.

29. 1phillyphan says: May 17, 2017 11:31 PM

Perception IS reality. ..if he believes God gave him a sign to L.A.. Then its true.
    Its only for Tre to determinnot if it really happened or not. Who are we to determine whether he had a divine moment or not? I hope for his sake, he shares his love and compassion for those less fortunate then us. Nice Jon Yre

30. tfootball1234 says: May 18, 2017 7:21 AM

Why do religious people think they are being persecuted ? it’s 2017, wake up and smell the coffee. bronze age ideas don’t apply any longer.

31. RegisHawk says: May 18, 2017 9:43 AM

I’m rooting for someone I haven’t really watched.

By which you must mean a good 49er team…

32. junkmtb says: May 18, 2017 11:47 AM

scmems07 says:
    May 17, 2017 2:53 PM

———————————————————-
    Amen!!!

33. silvernblacksabbath says: May 19, 2017 11:45 AM

What strain was Boston smoking??? lol

34. silvernblacksabbath says: May 19, 2017 12:34 PM

“Did you see what God just did?” -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

35. fantasychamp7time says: May 21, 2017 6:26 PM

He should probably lay off the magic mushrooms 🍄