Las Vegas, Raiders strike a lease deal

Getty Images

On the same day that the opening of the Los Angeles stadium was delayed by a year comes news that the Las Vegas stadium likely won’t be.

Via ESPN.com, the Las Vegas Stadium Authority unanimously approved on Thursday a lease agreement. The agreement comes only days before the last NFL ownership meeting until October. Without approval of the lease before then, the opening of the new Raiders stadium could have been pushed to 2021.

“It means we go to the league meetings in Chicago with a lease and hopefully get it approved and stay on pace for a 2020 opening,” Raiders president Marc Badain told ESPN.com on Thursday afternoon.

The Raiders have a lease in Oakland that runs through 2018. It’s unknown where they will play in 2019. Ideally, they’ll have only one season in limbo.

42 responses to “Las Vegas, Raiders strike a lease deal

1. Can’t wait to see what happens with the current coliseum sight. The A’s are building in a different location. The Raiders and warriors are also gone. Probably section 8 housing for the poor. Good going Oakland. You just cost yourself more tax money.

2. esorick says:
    May 18, 2017 11:25 PM

——————–

You need to keep up, The Coliseum site will be converted into a bio-tech campus.

3. The Vegas stadium might just open around the same time as the Los Angeles stadium. This great news. They need to break ground and begin construction on the new Las Vegas stadium. Remaining in
    Oakland is a waste of time.

4. Of the three teams that all tried to get back to L.A., the Raiders ended up the big winner despite losing the vote.

5. Now that I am a taxpayer in Nevada I am still in shock that the state is sugarcoating the 950 million investment, along with this so called Las Vegas Stadium Authority, who is the one signing the 650 million dollar loan from Bank of America. So the Gov. of this state gets to appoint the chairman of the board for the LVSA, and the other 8 members who the majority are all casino exec’s sit on it and get to over see it. Nothing possibly corrupt here.

Sheldon Adelson who pulled out of his 650 million investment because he stated it was not possible that he could even make 2% on his investment, yet the LVSA is responsible for the B of A loan at a 4% interest rate, for 30 years which is approx 24 million in interest annually. At the end of the day the Nevada taxpayers our all on the hook for 1.7 billion dollars for the “Raiders” stadium. Way to go there Gov. Sandoval , at least we are still DFL in the U.S. in education, and I can only assume this is the State that you were educated in. I feel safe to state that not much has changed ….probably DFL then, and DFL now, and you and every elected politician who approved this deal is to blame

6. Seriously all the teams in California should move out of state … in fact all the good working people should move. You are going to be taxed to death by the democrats.

7. Las Vegas will always have have about 6-30k visiting fans a game and more for Dallas & Green Bay. The PSLs are going to give people sticker shock. Look for casinos to buy 5k tix and comp them. It will feel like a neutral game every week. Oakland politicians are feckless and myopic on the big picture and private business in general.

8. I know all these teams need new stadiums but I will never forget the memories growing up going to A’s and Raiders games during late 60s early 70s with my Dad …its a sad time now that its official and there leaving..we lived 25 minutes south of Oakland Coliseum and being a kid the teams felt like they belonged to us and felt like the players knew all of us personally…we would be so happy when we won and it would ruin our day when we lost…thats just how passionate I was for my teams but as you get married and have your own family you realize you wouldnt trade that time for nothing …I did same thing taking my son and daughter to games and even to a Warriors game once…just wanted to say I will never forget the Coliseum great games great times and great memories….no hard feelings but its sad Raiders have to leave the Bay Area

9. If you think the “Bay Area” real estate market is so robust you might want to get another think. The bubble is already popping.

10. joepescisballs says:
    May 18, 2017 11:51 PM
    If you think that “sight” will be turned into section 8 housing, you have no idea what the real estate market in the Bay Area is like.
    _____________
    No, but we know what Oakland is like.
    Detroit Jr.

11. It has to suck to be a Raider fan. The Chiefs fan hate you, the broncos fans hate you, chargers fans hate you, and your own team even treats you like garbage. Whether you’re a Oakland or Los Angeles fan you got treated like garbage by the Raiders at some point. On top of all that you had to suffer through all those losing seasons and get no reward for your borderline insane loyalty.

12. Leaving one of the top 5 media markets in the country for metro area smaller than Sacramento? Something tells me this isn’t going to work out like they think it will…..

13. That sounds good. Hopefully, by 2019 sports betting will be outlawed in NV, so Florio won’t get an ulcer worrying that every Las Vegas Raider will potentially succumb to a gambling addiction which will undoubtedly bring the league to a screeching halt.

14. The reason I ask what will happen with the current sight is because I grew up less than a 10 minute walking distance from the coliseum. My family got out as soon as my father was able to purchase a home in Livermore CA. The entire San Leandro blvd. From seminary to 72nd. Ave. Is basically all section 8 housing. I hope it turns out to be a Tech campus. Don’t get me wrong I love Oakland because I grew up there. But I would never go back to live. Not saying I am better than anyone who lives there. But if you had the chance to better your self wouldn’t you take it?

15. The jealous haters are out pretty good today. Mom must be forcing you to do your own laundry this morning.

As for some of my fellow Raider Fans, you have to be happy that we will finally have a brand new state of the art stadium which we’ve needed badly. Its going to be a big, beautiful stadium. Check out the rendering video on YT. Its going to be amazing.

16. esorick says:
    May 19, 2017 10:27 AM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    I also grew up just south of site in SLZ. Just FYI, when the Warriors sold a few years back , Larry Ellison was the assumed new owner with all his billions. His final bid was approx 355 million even though he said Warriors were only worth $316 million at the time. Lacob, and Guber paid 450 million because they said they knew somebody would pay approx 100 million to relocate their team there. As for the NFL when you combine the SF Bay Media Market with the Sac Valley (99 corridor to Modesto) it is the 3rd largest media market in the US behind NY, and LA……Would not be surprised to see a team like the Jags whose owner could afford to build his own venue there if Oakland would gave him the land as they were willing to do for the Raiders.

17. bongwaterwally says:
    May 19, 2017 3:04 AM
    Can’t wait to see what happens with the current coliseum sight.
    __________________________________
    Strip bars and a Hell’s Angels Clubhouse.
    – – – – – – — – – — — –
    He didn’t say the “new” site in Las Vegas, he said their current site. You can also include a “Mongols” clubhouse as well. Maybe they will have more shoot out’s and stabbings like they did inside Harrah’s Casino a few years ago at their games.

18. The necessity for 20k traveling tourists each week when the closest one is 5k is a clear sign this ain’t gonna work. It. Will. Fail.

19. The Raider move is an accident waiting to happen. The Charger move is already unraveling with another years’ delay opening Kroenke stadium. Spanos has massive logistical problems in addition to trying to build some kind of fan base in Carson. They’re training in San Diego at Charger Park. The Costa Mesa practice field is being fixed up and traffic to the Carson soccer field is always a mess. Finally, the L-a-L-a-Land entertainment dollar is spread thin with so many other options. This pathetic re-location appears to be a massive screw-up by the Spanos/Fabriani mob.

20. guyjuneguyjune: How is the Charger move unraveling? You realize its already happened right? LA is a metro region of over 20 million people. The “entertainment dollar is spread thin” talk is pure nonsense. The NFL still dominates tv ratings in every market and is the popular show in town. Basically no teams in LA have attendance or revenue problems

21. I thought it was pretty cool, the Vegas Raiders and their cheer leading team the Hookerettes.

having just come back from Vegas, maybe my last trip, the machines were colder than an Indian Casino mad at the white guys. Prices on everything is out of sight as in, well you were dumb enough to come here, pay the price.

Its price gouging at it worst and the cost of that stadium hasnt even been added to those prices yet. Not good. Not good at all. Charging for parking in their garage while you inside losing you arse. Ya thats gonna work long term.

22. 49ersfury says:
    May 19, 2017 9:51 AM

Coming from a fan of a team that after the checks cleared on the PSLs/season tickets on the Field of Jeans:

– Went cheap on their HC and forced him back to college. Subsequently hired a doofus HC and then fired him the next season.

– Brought in another coach on a 4 year deal and fired him 1 year into it. Along with the GM.

– Has a teen ager for a owner who thinks he knows football and how to run a football operation but is ABSOLUTELY clueless.

Yeah, it’s insane to be a Raider fan.

23. Oakland gets a bad rap because the media mainly highlights the bad part like when there are riots and protests. What most people don’t know is Oakland is a major hub in the Bay Area. It’s near major universities like UC Berkeley, Stanford and tech areas like the Silicon Valley. Properties in Oakland are more affordable compared to SF. However, there are million dollar homes in Oakland as well like in the Oakland hills with a stunning view of the bay. The city have done a great job of rejuvenating the area next to Lake Merritt that attracted many that work in SF to live there.

I prefer the Raiders to stay in Oakland, but the city leaders made it clear early on that they prefer the A’s over the Raiders when the A’s signed a 10-year lease. This made it difficult to tear down the Coliseum and build a new stadium without the A’s participation. When the Raiders and Warriors leave, the area would be a good location for a tech campus. It’s next to a major freeway, a couple miles from Oakland Airport, and about 30 minutes drive from the Silicon Valley.

24. radrntn says:
    May 19, 2017 1:55 AM

———————————————————–

We don’t pay state taxes in Nevada you twit. So explain how Nevada tax payers will be on the hook for 1.7 billion dollars when we don’t pay state taxes. If you really lived in Las Vegas you would know that.

25. bear493 says:
    May 19, 2017 3:21 PM

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – — –

LMFAO – a twit- obviously nobody is a smart is as smart as you..I mean you live in Las Vegas so you must be smart. On the other hand I live in that terrible place called Lake Tahoe. I could only dream of living on Lake Mead…..So I guess the state just has a money tree ( the same one paying the 1.7 billion dollars, so keep watering it please) so we don’t have to pay any taxes in this state eh?????…really….Police , Fire, Dept of Transportation, Education, Property, Assesors, Unemployment, Depreciation, Gross sales receipt, and so and so on etc….all come from that magic tree and nobody has to pay this fictitious business called the “Nevada Department of Taxation”….it just must be a dream of mine when every month I mail them my check, and the money gets withdraw from my account……I own a business in this state …. I know how many taxes, fees, surcharges, funds,insurance etc…I have to pay The only thing you don’t pay is a state personal income tax on you $7.25 an hour job. Congrats to you. Please keep drinking that kool aid. I moved here, but obviously you were born and raised educated in this state as well as the Gov.

26. So the Raiders will only be tenants at their new crib? One wonders how much of the cut the landlord will want from psl’s, corporate boxes, tix, concessions, parking on top of the monthly rent. Marky Mark should have gone to Mexico. With the burrito connections of the Davis family, he could have owned his stadium and done quite well. Now, he’s just another call girl with a butch hair cut in Vegas! Am I lying?

27. I’ll bet the Las Vegas stadium construction won’t be delayed by rain like the new L.A. stadium.