Teenager who broke into Gerald McCoy’s house sentenced to prison

Getty Images

An 18-year-old has been sentenced to five years in prison for a series of crimes that included breaking into the home of Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and injuring McCoy’s father in an altercation inside.

McCoy said he forgives the teenager, Justin Frazier, who got the five-year sentence as part of a plea deal.

That’s a lost kid,” McCoy said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “Probably just needs some guidance. It’s nothing to be upset over. It happens. You could look at it at a different way, like ‘I hate the person that tried to break into my house,’ or you could look at it like somebody who needs help. I would just advise people to pray for this kid.”

Frazier was charged with armed burglary, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, grand theft, battery and trespass in connection with the break-in at McCoy’s home, and he was charged with grand theft, robbery and dealing in stolen property in four other incidents.

38 responses to “Teenager who broke into Gerald McCoy’s house sentenced to prison

1. I don’t mean to be funny but when will people learn to leave other people stuff alone it’s really sad you work hard to get what you want and in a matter of moments it’s gone sigh

2. Good guy McCoy with a caring message. Unfortunate to hear this happened to him, but good on him to deal with it in a logical way.

3. Respect to McCoy for choosing forgiveness.

Side note: there are some “lost kids” currently on NFL rosters too.

4. jsuch2 says:
    May 18, 2017 8:01 PM
    Must of had great parents.
    _____________________

Must have had great education.

5. McCoy is a class act and one of the hardest working players in the league. Why he gets blamed for the Bucs dysfunction astounds me. How do you get blamed at DT for not having 10 sacks when the rest of the line is terrible and you are double and triple teamed every play?

As a Bucs fan, glad he is on our team.

6. Um, break into my house and hurt my dad? Kinda feel like that is something that warrants worrying about. Punk got off easy.

7. Was he 18, yes. But last I checked that makes him an adult. Thankfully he was arrested before assault with a deadly weapon, turned into murder. He had no qualms breaking into a house with someone at home. Home invasion takes guts. So 5 year plea deal, bet he is out in 24months.

8. Imagine breaking in to a home and Gerald McCoy or another DT from the NFL was up getting a late night snack…..oops. Theyd be begging for the po po

9. mazenblue says:
    May 18, 2017 9:23 PM
    _________________

Didn’t work like that for Sean Taylor.

10. “Probably just needs some guidance”

Oh, he’ll get plenty of guidance in prison. He’ll be a much better criminal when he gets out.

Nothing makes a kid straighten up and fly right like a few years locked away in a miserable hell hole with a bunch of hardened criminals.

11. I’m a serious advocate for forgiveness, and now for retribution. You still need (and will get) one heckuva whoopin’, punk. I hope to hear about it, too.

12. Sentenced to five years. Job training behind bars, he’ll be a wide receiver by the time he gets out.

13. It’s sounds very nice to hear McCoy say these nice things about this “kid”. I applaud him for it.
    But I am tired of people feeling sorry for bad guys, making them into some kind of victim. In my opinion, you should know right from wrong by the time you’re 18 years old.

What this kid really needs is one shot on his leg right behind his knee with a night stick. Then you ask him, are you going to be breaking in to anyone’s home again?

Years ago, my wife and her sister were walking out of a mall in broad daylight when a 17 year old kid who was outside when they left the store, suddenly took off running at them from behind. He smashed between them and tried ripping both of their purses off their shoulders as he ran through them. He knocked my wife down but didn’t get hers. He knocked my wife’s sister almost to the ground, and got her purse. He ran like the wind and several men who heard their screams chased him, but he was too fast for them, and he went over a guard rail and literally flipped and fell down a long, very steep hill through briars and weeds to a trailer park below the mall. The men who chased him couldn’t believe he didn’t get badly hurt going down that hill the way he did.
    He had been talking with a guy in a wheelchair when my wife and her sister came out of the mall, and when the police came they looked for that guy, found him and got him to give the kid’s name up. They arrested him several hours after the incident. He had my wife’s sister’s purse in his closet, had stolen about $50, and was even using her hair brush! He lived with his mother and had no father.
    My wife and her sister identified the kid when he was arrested. Months went by and I got a call from an Asst prosecutor, who told me that the case was over. He was sentenced to community service, and a couple of weekends in the county jail. I wasn’t too happy about the sentence and told the Asst DA so, because my wife was having problems with her shoulder caused by him trying to rip her purse strap off it, and she had problems with it for over a year, and it still bothers her to this day.
    The Asst DA told me the worst thing they could have done was put this kid in prison for a long time, say a year. He said he was a first time offender and he’d be treated so well, he’d tell himself that doing time is a piece of cake.
    I told him they ought to take him out back of the jail and wack him with a night stick like they used to in the old days, and the Asst DA agreed with me and said that would probably be enough to scare him into not doing something like this again.
    I don’t know if that kid ever got into trouble again, and I hope not. But I still wish they’d have whacked him with a night stick just to teach him a real lesson in discipline.

14. When he gets out he’ll be a much more successful criminal. The first thing he’ll learn is that you don’t leave any witnesses. But everyone in prison is still committing robbery. They’re robbing us, the taxpayers who are supporting them. They didn’t even need to pull out a gun. We go right along with it.

15. lukedunphysscienceproject says:

“Probably just needs some guidance”

====================================

Or maybe he’ll decide prison isn’t something he wants to experience again.

16. Should have been signed up for after school activities. Oh wait, our President defunded them.

17. So that’s considered a home invasion, correct???

He’d be dead especially messing with pops!

18. This is not a “misguided kid”. Look at his rap sheet, he is a violent felon and this fool can’t see it. Then again, this is the same guy who thinks his rapist quarterback is a stand up guy so I’m not surprised.

19. donttrollonme says:
    May 18, 2017 10:31 PM
    Can’t these guys afford ADT?

The burglaries of NFL players confuse me.

______________________________________

Uh, his father was home….

But otherwise, you are right.

20. bighairbingopro says:
    May 18, 2017 8:40 PM
    I would have killed him. End of story.
    —————-
    Or…..you would have pissed down your own leg, shot yourself in the foot, and then been killed by the kid, who’d be serving life instead.

21. atljetsfan said: “I don’t mean to be funny but when will people learn to leave other people stuff alone it’s really sad you work hard to get what you want and in a matter of moments it’s gone sigh.”

Maybe he came from a broken home, is dirt poor and has no job (due to racism and/or the failed education system), and he was hungry and desperate and that’s what led him to break-into McCoy’s home.

What about living in the richest society in the history of the world, and, yet, society doing nothing to help him and others like him (while the top 0.1% have so much wealth that it’s obscene).

In countries like Finland, where the state helps the disadvantaged and there’s very little poverty, there is also very little crime.

22. McCoy is lucky. Sean Taylor had the same thing happen to him, and now there’s a little girl without a father.

23. ———————————————————-
    jsuch2 says:
    May 18, 2017 8:01 PM
    Must of had great parents.
    ———————————————————-

And now that Planned Parenthood facilities are being shut down and contraception benefits stripped from health insurance (if repeal gets its way), you’ll have hundreds of thousands more unfit parents and criminal teenagers to make your day.