Vince Wilfork taking his time on retirement decision

Getty Images

Longtime NFL defensive tackle Vince Wilfork is unsigned and has appeared content with all he’s accomplished on the field, but he’s not ready to say that he’s retired just yet.

Wilfork said today on PFT Live that he will take his time on deciding whether to retire and hasn’t decided when he’ll either sign with a team or make it official that he’s done.

“I’m taking everything I can take to make sure I’m 100 percent certain on whatever decision I make,” Wilfork said. “However long it’s going to take it will take. It’s the reason I haven’t signed anything yet, because I want to see what it is, how I feel.”

The 35-year-old Wilfork has started every game but one over the last three seasons, so there’s little doubt that he’s still capable of playing. But he’d need to settle for less than the two-year, $9 million contract he played on for the Texans over the last two seasons, and he may decide he’d rather just call it a career.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Vince Wilfork taking his time on retirement decision”
  1. midnightcusk says: May 18, 2017 7:55 AM

Dude, retire and start working on picking up your PGA tour card!

A nice spot in the Pats HOF awaits…

2. terripet says: May 18, 2017 7:56 AM

Time to go before you get cut

3. maust1013 says: May 18, 2017 8:00 AM

Heck of a player, a great locker room guy and by all accounts an even better man. Whatever road he chooses I wish him nothing but well

4. It should read"the triumphant return of Lemmy Akyadis" says: May 18, 2017 8:01 AM

One of the all time greats! Thanks for your years in NE. OTOH, I’d love to be in a position to say that unless I get $9m it’s not worth coming to work.

5. brwmstr says: May 18, 2017 8:02 AM

Do whatever you want Big Guy…you deserve it. Come back to New England for a farewell tour!!!

6. streetyson says: May 18, 2017 8:16 AM

Belichick decided Vince should retire 2 years ago:-
    2014 – 47 combined tackles for NE (plus an INT)
    2015 – 22 combined for Hou
    2016 – 21 combined for Hou
    And he hadn’t sacked anyone since 2012. I love Big Vince (one of my favorites and a complete gentleman) and I’m sure he could get onto the field for another year if he really wanted… But please hang ’em up Big Guy, protect those knees and brain cells and become a great line-coach/mentor.

7. It should read"the triumphant return of Lemmy Akyadis" says: May 18, 2017 8:20 AM

terripet says:
    May 18, 2017 7:56 AM
    Time to go before you get cut

smh
    in the words of Eg Chen,

“he’s exists only to torment the living”

8. Nofoolnodrool says: May 18, 2017 9:08 AM

Did you come to that conclusion from all the time you spent with him in the locker room…..just a drooling fanboy.

I wish Vince luck.

9. walk929501 says: May 18, 2017 9:30 AM

He has a great future in commercials. That new Kingsford charcoal ad is hilarious.

10. weepingjebus says: May 18, 2017 9:35 AM

“Few players reached or will ever reach the special level of Vince Wilfork. He is a great champion and one of the classiest people I have ever been around — just a kind, genuine and giving person who was all about our team, football, winning and bringing joy to others. There may have never been anyone at his position with as much strength, toughness, intelligence, instinctiveness and athleticism. He is the best defensive lineman I ever coached, and all-time great Patriot whose place on our team will be missed but whose remarkable career as a Patriot will be remembered forever.” — Coach Belichick, 2015

11. dutchschafer says: May 18, 2017 9:35 AM

Will he be pondering retirement at a Golden Coral buffet?

Retire and lose some weight bro, you don’t look healthy for a professional athlete.

12. tylawspick6 says: May 18, 2017 9:40 AM

Dude, we love ya, but it’s time. BB saw you getting pushed back a lot in 2014 in single blocks, and it was over 2 years ago.

Now, it’s really time.

Save your head and lose some weight, maybe go into broadcasting, as it would be a perfect match.

13. mmmmmbeer says: May 18, 2017 9:51 AM

Vince should sign a swan song 1 year veteran minimum with the Patriots. No camp, no preseason and play in situational defensive packages and help the Patriots get their 6th ring.

14. maust1013 says: May 18, 2017 10:17 AM

terripet says:
    May 18, 2017 7:56 AM
    Time to go before you get cut
    =======================

Please explain to us how a FA gets cut?

15. toybkshr says: May 18, 2017 10:22 AM

I’d much rather see him hang em up as opposed to getting cut, of which there is a fair chance. O’Brien might not be as ruthless as BB, but he’s had to see Vince was no more than a rotational/depth option in terms of contribution last 2 seasons.

16. tylawspick6 says: May 18, 2017 10:43 AM

He’s not going to “get cut”. Some of you are so naive. The whole reason why he’s “contemplating retirement” while under contract is so he doesn’t get cut.

How old are some of you anyway?

17. pancaketaco says: May 18, 2017 10:45 AM

I’m a little scared for him once he does retire…what will his weight balloon to once he stop playing and how will this effect his health?

“Nearly 70% of American adults are either overweight or obese. Being obese puts you at a higher risk for health problems such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes and more.” – heart.org

Hope he takes care of himself and cuts at least 100#’s.

18. jag1959 says: May 18, 2017 10:48 AM

toybkshr says:
    May 18, 2017 10:22 AM
    ______________________

There is no chance of O’Brien cutting Wilfork, he is a free agent.

19. patsfan1820 says: May 18, 2017 11:34 AM

Just retire Vince you have done enough. Focus on your health.

20. milehighcityboss says: May 18, 2017 11:35 AM

I worry about Vince’s personal health after football. I would hope that he would lose a lot of that weight and become healthier.

21. sidepull says: May 18, 2017 11:41 AM

Retirement party awaits, in NE. Dag he was a tremendous team player.

22. greg3117 says: May 18, 2017 12:05 PM

I’m not a Houston or NE fan, but I really got a kick (literally) at seeing him kicking field goals on Hard Knox.
    Seems like an all around great guy! Wishing you the best.

23. motsuret06 says: May 18, 2017 12:09 PM

Great player and a good person but its probably time to call it a career and move on to the next stage of life. Nothing lasts forever including football careers.

24. laserw says: May 18, 2017 1:16 PM

As big as he is he doesn’t have much time to live.

What a disgusting player this one is – nasty and part of the infamous cheaters.

25. twinfan24 says: May 18, 2017 1:23 PM

Or, keep in playing condition and wait for the inevitable injuries that happen during a season, and play the last half of the season for a contender.

26. tylawspick6 says: May 18, 2017 2:13 PM

Why do people keep saying he’s going to “get cut”? His contract has run out in Houston, he’s contemplating retirement, but no one is going to sign him to cut him, out of respect for his career.

Hence, it’s very likely he’s done and he hasn’t realized it yet.

27. jsavage58 says: May 19, 2017 8:39 AM

He may not have decided on retirement…… But I think retirement may have decided on him