Michael Vick plans to sign a one-day contract, retire as a Falcon

Getty Images

It’s been a decade since Michael Vick went from a Falcons superstar to a convicted felon, and after his release from prison he’s been an Eagle, a Jet and a Steeler. But he’ll be remembered for his greatness in Atlanta, and that’s where he wants his career to come to an official end.

Vick told CBS Radio in Atlanta that he has talked with the Falcons about signing a one-day contract and officially retiring with the team that chose him first overall in the 2001 NFL draft.

Hopefully soon,” said Vick.

Vick hasn’t actually officially retired yet, but he said he has now turned his attention to working with young people. He regularly makes appearances at schools and youth organizations to urge children not to make the kinds of decisions that he made, which landed him in prison.

“I think I got my fill,” said Vick. “Working with the kids allows me to decompress.”

Although Vick’s exit from Atlanta was ugly, 10 years later a one-day return to Atlanta would be a day that many Falcons fans would celebrate.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Michael Vick plans to sign a one-day contract, retire as a Falcon”
  1. MichaelEdits says: May 27, 2017 2:57 PM

I think the thing he should be most remembered for in Atlanta is incomplete passes, but nobody asked me. I’m happy they’re happy.

2. araidersfan says: May 27, 2017 3:04 PM

I neither like nor dislike the Falcons but if I was a fan of that team, I wouldn’t be happy about bestowing this honor on Vick. Atlanta has been a much better team since they got rid of Ron Mexico.

3. bannedfromchoirpractice says: May 27, 2017 3:09 PM

I wish I could do a one day return to my present job.

4. harrisonhits2 says: May 27, 2017 3:21 PM

After humiliating the Falcons franchise with his dog killing exploits, I’m surprised they would let him have this opportunity.

5. dlw492 says: May 27, 2017 3:27 PM

I don’t respect the one-day contract thing, if you are going to retire with your whole team do it like can Griffey Junior, Kevin Garnet, Julius peppers, Charles Woodson, Jason Taylor

6. firstand4ever says: May 27, 2017 3:28 PM

Insert “Every dog has his day” joke.

7. dlw492 says: May 27, 2017 3:29 PM

I don’t respect the one-day contract thing.. If you are going to retire with your old team do it like Ken Griffey Jr, Kevin Garnett, Julius Peppers, Charles Woodson, Jason Taylor.. etc

8. uglydingo says: May 27, 2017 3:29 PM

I’m foreign but I really don’t understand why it is so important to have to sign a player for a day, so that he will always be remembered with that team. I just don’t understand why this occurs. Seems like a b/s practice. I would really appreciate an explanation why this is so important in the NFL?

9. absolutevisuals says: May 27, 2017 3:35 PM

He also put the Falcon’s on the map again and got them pretty close to a Superbowl. You can’t take the negative without the positives or simply just being biased.

10. steelerfan63 says: May 27, 2017 3:36 PM

I hoping there is no hall of fame talk in these comments.

11. finnymcphin says: May 27, 2017 3:51 PM

Superstar? Greatness in Atlanta? Vick was a true media creation. He was neither fish nor fowl and may have been a fantastic athlete but he really wasn’t much beyond average as a QB. He had all of 67 starts for Atlanta (that is not a typo) finishing with a 53.8 completion percentage and a QB rating of 76. He may have been exciting to some people to watch because of all the media fueled anticipation but the reality is he was good not great. Considering the way he left the Falcons and embarrassed Blank they would be foolhardy to give in and indulge him in what he wants.

12. bencoates57 says: May 27, 2017 3:54 PM

Good for Ron!

13. 4512dawg4512 says: May 27, 2017 4:05 PM

He was awesome on the field, just like any other athlete what he does off the field is none of my business. But he was fun to watch that’s for sure

14. chapmanbrian2016 says: May 27, 2017 4:10 PM

Sorry just a personal belief on my an but I feel he lost the right to have that honor when he decided to abuse helpless animals. Glad that he redeemed himself but that doesn’t mean that he is worthy of this.

15. youbettercallsaul says: May 27, 2017 4:17 PM

Could he take Krapthrowsapick with him into retirement?

16. reprob8 says: May 27, 2017 4:21 PM

IMO I doubt that the dog fighting would’ve w
    ended with a “cruelty to animals” charge if he hadn’t snubbed the senator(s) who were going to give him an award. He pulled a no-show, leaving his mother there without an explanation.

You don’t give truly powerful people a reason to hold a grudge.

All that said, he wasn’t much more than a man with outstanding physical abilities, who pulled off some amazing plays. Who knows what he would’ve truly been a student of the game, instead of relying on his impressive athleticism.

17. bannedfromchoirpractice says: May 27, 2017 4:21 PM

————————————————————
    uglydingo says:
    May 27, 2017 3:29 PM
    ————————————————————–

Just call it a gracious act by the owner; a symbology, of sorts, that respectfully acknowledges Vic’s retirement as a Falcon. What’s wrong with that? I know how disappointing it is when a story doesn’t offer anything to hate, but life is full of disappointments.

18. f1restarter says: May 27, 2017 4:27 PM

A closer examination of his one-day contract showed that his salary is to be paid exclusively in Milk Bones.

19. nukaten says: May 27, 2017 4:32 PM

I don’t think the falcons will sign him

20. mauldawg says: May 27, 2017 4:37 PM

Who cares!! Once trash always trash!

21. flviking says: May 27, 2017 5:03 PM

Favre is also lobbying for this also. “I wish I spent my entire career in Atlanta, I would have won more than one Super Bowl”

22. hawks1124 says: May 27, 2017 5:24 PM

Can I ask why the Falcons would sign him? Let’s be honest the best thing that happened to ATL was Vick leaving, and it’s not like it was some loving parting of ways either; Vick embarrassed himself and the organization.

23. nomoreseasontix says: May 27, 2017 5:26 PM

One of the first one read and run, ESPN created star quarterbacks.
    All cable network hype and highlight reel stuff, not much in the way of substance.
    He fell for the hype himself, which was his downfall.

24. xarcticsoldierx says: May 27, 2017 5:28 PM

Forever a legend, especially when he was on the eagles, and played that game with the comeback against the giants

25. realtruthteller100 says: May 27, 2017 5:39 PM

i thought he was suppose to be a different person after being released from jail. if thats the case then why is he signing with a team he never played for? sounds 2 me like mike is the same old guy that was runnign bad newz kennelz. but we always knew marcus was the good child.

26. bueller101 says: May 27, 2017 5:55 PM

I thought if they had given him 50 years it wouldn’t have been long enough. But he seems to be a more productive member of society than ever.

Sometimes a second chance is something we all need.

Glad he is retiring a Falcon.

27. filthymcnasty3 says: May 27, 2017 6:10 PM

I suspect they’ll retire his number in Leavenworth.

28. runningoutofboundsisforgringos says: May 27, 2017 6:19 PM

“Greatness”? Mighty big word to apply to Vick

29. phredicles says: May 27, 2017 6:33 PM

Are the Falcons okay with this plan?

30. struckgold49er says: May 27, 2017 6:38 PM

What Vick did to the NFL QB position is synonymous with what AAU did to the NBA….(not good)IMO!!

31. bongwaterwally says: May 27, 2017 6:38 PM

OMG, so ceremonial. When will he retire from Bad News Dog Kennel?

32. liquidchaoss says: May 27, 2017 6:52 PM

Yes, Vick wasnt the greatest QB. But its not what he did in the air, its what he did on the ground. He was a big part in the change to the mobile QB.

33. pointerdogs says: May 27, 2017 7:25 PM

Vick may have gotten right with the justice system, did his time etc, but some things I just can’t forgive…crimes against kids, animal torture, men in rompers…

Go away and stay away, Vick.

34. nyctraffic says: May 27, 2017 7:33 PM

Arthur Blank is a very nice man. Enough said.

35. infectorman says: May 27, 2017 7:39 PM

I bet Mr Blank was more embarrassed coming down to the field with his teenage wife during the 4th qtr of the SB.
    Boy, that picture is worth far more than 1000 words.

Just an exclamation point to the end of Hatriot Nation and Scamgate v 2.0

36. dawoger says: May 27, 2017 7:58 PM

flviking says: Favre is lobbying for the same thing. “I wish I had spent my entire career in Atlanta.” I would have won more than just one super bowl.”

————————————

And every player who left the barneys for another team and went on to win a Super Bowl says: I wish I had spent my entire career playing for the barnys. I would have won every super bowl I played in because the barneys win them all.

37. 8oneanddones says: May 27, 2017 8:08 PM

The Chargers were the real winners with Michael Vick. They flipped the rights to his pick for what ended up to be Drew Brees and LT.

38. jason9696 says: May 27, 2017 8:08 PM

And the Falcons organization is going to be okay with this?

39. stucats says: May 27, 2017 8:28 PM

congrats big dog!

NOT!!!!

40. 6250claimer says: May 27, 2017 8:40 PM

The only question now is, will the official NFL swag shop finally allow you to order a jersey with “MEXICO” as the name on the back, once Ron (err Vick) has retired? They’ve banned that name for years, it gets rejected just as if you’d filled in an f-bomb as the desired custom jersey name.

41. curtj5 says: May 27, 2017 8:52 PM

I will forever remember him as the very entertaining and successful NFl running quarterback dog killer.

42. stexan says: May 27, 2017 9:03 PM

What he did was contemptible, but he does seem to have turned it around. And for a couple of years he WAS the most exciting player in the NFL.
    I can understand if the Falcons say no, but it will make them look vindictive. Lots of posters like that on PFT these days.

43. pastabelly says: May 27, 2017 9:14 PM

Atlanta fans were upset when they drafted Ryan because they wanted Vick back. This is very true and the Atlanta fan base remains one of the most fickle in the country.

44. mitchblue says: May 27, 2017 9:36 PM

Just a wasted day..

45. jonathankrobinson424 says: May 27, 2017 9:36 PM

Glad your not retiring a EAGLE…but if you wanted to show your appreciation for giving u a 2nd chance you should mentioned it was a hard choice to choose to between the 2 franchises. It doesnt surprise me though. Always thought you kept the EAGLES back for the 4 years you were with us.

46. rushbacker says: May 27, 2017 10:11 PM

Shame on the Falcons for wanting anything to do with that dirtbag.

47. edsales87 says: May 27, 2017 10:14 PM

As a Falcons fan, I strongly disapprove of this. His arrest and suspension was the best thing to happen to us. We are far better with Matt Ryan and our current Front Office and Coaches.

48. geefan1 says: May 27, 2017 10:26 PM

Greatness?

49. defscottyb says: May 27, 2017 10:38 PM

Best college player I ever saw.

50. floridaraven says: May 27, 2017 11:09 PM

I think this is a positive for both sides. I also love the way he has handled himself since. It’s not about falling down. It’s about getting back up! Way to go Atlanta!

51. bengalguy71 says: May 27, 2017 11:15 PM

Is there anything more lame in sports than the 1 day contract?

52. xbam says: May 27, 2017 11:16 PM

Can’t wait for A Marcus Tweet after the Falcons say no! lol

53. esorick says: May 27, 2017 11:53 PM

His cousin should of taken the fall for him. When they raided his home, Vick wasn’t even there. If his cousin takes the fall, all they do is a slap on the wrist. But the law felt they had to make an example of Vick. Only in America, where we care more for an animal life, than a human life.

54. wtfru2 says: May 28, 2017 12:33 AM

WOW, I’d be proud to have this guy retire from my team. SMH…..

55. dartwick says: May 28, 2017 12:47 AM

So long Ron Mexico.

He was the most gifted QB I ever saw.

56. aj66shanghai says: May 28, 2017 1:04 AM

When Mike Vick first got arrested, somewhere Eugene Robinson had a big sigh of relief.

When 28-3 started eroding, Vick was on the phone with his agent, “hey this could happen now, I’m no longer the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to the Falcons!”

57. atldirtybird1 says: May 28, 2017 3:47 AM

defscottyb says:
    May 27, 2017 10:38 PM
    Best college player I ever saw.
    ———————————————————————
    The first time I saw Michael Vick was on a very late night game on ESPN. I was thinking ” who is Virginia Tech? ” Then I saw this QB destroying whoever they were playing on the ground. Michael Vick put Virginia Tech on the map.

58. officialgame says: May 28, 2017 6:41 AM

Thank God, signed Eagles fan.

59. flviking says: May 28, 2017 8:10 AM

dawoger says:
    May 27, 2017 7:58 PM

————————————

///////////

heyhey

60. 400marios says: May 28, 2017 8:21 AM

I’m not entirely sure you want a guy whose career was cut short by prison making a specific attempt to be associated with your team’s legacy.

61. damcmp says: May 28, 2017 9:52 AM

he singlehanded scuttled Peerless Price’s career… Vick rushed for 1004 yds and couldn’t read a defense and the passing game went down the tubes along with Price….

62. defscottyb says: May 28, 2017 10:01 AM

At Virginia Tech he would take over games and win them almost by himself… he was that good.

63. evermoresg says: May 28, 2017 10:19 AM

The only Legendary Mike Vick was the one in Madden 2004. Up there with Tecmo Super Bo.

64. steves11 says: May 28, 2017 11:59 AM

That’s the thanks that Jeff Lurie gets for giving Vick a second chance when nobody else would.

65. TLB says: May 28, 2017 12:55 PM

As a lifelong Falcon fan, I didn’t think the team could possibly disappointment the fan base more so than they did with their colossal failure in the Super Bowl… I was wrong.