Dante Fowler on taking big jump this season: I think it will happen

Getty Images

Defensive end Dante Fowler’s rookie season ended at Jaguars rookie minicamp when he tore his ACL and the 2016 season saw him record four sacks while finding his way in the NFL.

That’s not quite what the Jaguars were hoping for when they made Fowler a first-round pick in 2015, but it may have set the stage for bigger things this time around. Fowler said he has noticed “how strong I’m getting and the explosiveness coming from my knee” and is predicting similarly positive results when he gets on the field this fall.

“I think it will happen,” Fowler said, via GridironNow.com. “It was a big learning experience for me last year on and off the field. That was my first year on the field. I was like a freshman in college all over again, getting used to the guys at this level. It gave me an idea of how big and strong some of these guys are.”

Fowler said he has improved his conditioning and learned “what to do and what not to do” by reviewing film from last season. It all sounds like the right path to follow for better results on the field, but the path hasn’t been a direct one for the Jaguars for quite some time now.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Dante Fowler on taking big jump this season: I think it will happen”
  1. tonebones says: May 28, 2017 11:28 AM

The talent to be a dominant player was there. If he gets back to 100%, and he matures, he’ll be a pro bowler. When he’s on the field with Myles Jack and Jalen Ramsey, the Jags have three young potential HOFers on their defense. Jacksonville will be a fun team to watch these next few years. Most teams throughout history who had 3 HOFers on defense, found their way to the super bowl a time or four.

2. donbat67 says: May 28, 2017 12:06 PM

a big jump from what ?? The IR .

3. jagsfan1 says: May 28, 2017 12:38 PM

tonebones – just penciling them all in as Hall of Famers huh fanboy?

Give me a break.

4. flviking says: May 28, 2017 1:05 PM

I live in Jax but they are not my team. They have had pretty good drafts lately and FA signings. Hopefully change in head coach, (Gus Bradley was awful) and Bortles will stop turning the ball over, they may be fun to watch. You can always get great seats for pennies on the dollar.

5. whenwilliteverend says: May 28, 2017 1:17 PM

The Jags always make big statements in the off-season. Sadly none of it actually carries over when the games count.

6. maddenisfordorks says: May 28, 2017 5:13 PM

The Jags don’t make big statements. The media makes them. It’s not like we had Rex Ryan mouthing off on our behalf.

I’m pulling for this kid and the rest of the team. Mother of god it’s been a decade since we have had a playoff win, or appearance.

Just give me some average ball … please.

7. maust1013 says: May 28, 2017 7:02 PM

He’s taking a big jump this season? Is he going to move up in class from refereeing his girlfriend and baby mama going at it to refereeing in the UFC?

8. taeh324 says: May 28, 2017 9:16 PM

tonebones says:
    May 28, 2017 11:28 AM

__________________

How about getting to .500 before even thinking playoffs let alone a super bowl.