Marvin Jones hopes to start, and finish, at a high level in 2017

Getty Images

Receiver Marvin Jones arrived in Detroit with a flourish, with 482 receiving yards in four games. Over the next 12 combined, he had 448.

And so a guy who was on pace for 1,928 yards (which would have been No. 2 all-time) finished with fewer than 1,000. Jones addressed the situation earlier this week at an OTA session.

I flushed it really after the playoff game,” Jones said, via Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “After the playoff game I said, ‘It’s over.’

“Obviously I was pretty disappointed in everything that happened. But what can I say? All I can do is prepare and I know what I can do. Everybody sees what I can do and you’ll see it for a long time.”

Jones didn’t offer any concrete plans for both starting and finishing strong in 2017. However, it’s clear that he’s done talking about 2016.

“[O]bviously the start I had was a great start,” Jones said. “I was hoping to continue that. But it’s football and it didn’t [happen] and you guys know how I felt about that. So I don’t really have to talk about that anymore.”

He nevertheless believes he can play on a consistent basis like he did in the first 25 percent of his first year with the Lions.

“Any receiver you ask, they’re supposed to say that,” Jones said. “I want to be that guy that does that. We have a lot of talent on our team that can do that. So when you have a lot of people on your team and you look across, I look across at [Golden] Tate and [Eric] Ebron and stuff like that, we are all those guys. But me personally, I want to be the guy that you’ve seen the first five weeks. I want to be like that for 16, 17, 18 weeks. So yeah, that’s the goal.”

If he can reach that goal, perhaps the Lions can reach their goal of winning a playoff game for the first time since 1991.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
5 Responses to “Marvin Jones hopes to start, and finish, at a high level in 2017”
  1. doe22us says: May 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Whew still remember that game against the Packers, oh my talk about dog walking the snot out of those DB’s…

2. stillabengalsfan says: May 28, 2017 12:41 PM

Sure wish you’d have stayed in Cincy, Marvin. With all the time Eifert and AJ missed, you’d have had a great year. The grass on the other side of the fence is often not as green as it appears.

3. eltigredelnorte says: May 28, 2017 2:36 PM

This guy has a lot of talent. He made some big plays for Cincinnati. I don’t know what happened to him after the start of last year. Detroit should cut him before the season so Cincy can get him back.

4. jimbobcooterqbtutor says: May 29, 2017 2:48 AM

Should have signed RT Mitchell Schwartz last offseason like I wanted them to instead of overpaying for Jones, so they wouldn’t have had to overpay for this year’s free agent RT Rick Wagnor, giving him 10 mil a year, blowing away the previous high for a RT by 3 mil.

5. timmmah10 says: May 30, 2017 12:13 PM

jimbobcooterqbtutor says:
    May 29, 2017 2:48 AM

——————-

IF only they had the foresight and wizardry that you have… If only.

Remember to add this to your resume when you apply the next time the position comes open…

PS – Schwartz gave up 7 sacks and 6 QB hits last year vs Wagner’s 2 sacks and 1 QB hit. With their salaries being only a few million apart, they made the right call. I think the three million bucks to protect Stafford’s huge contract by keeping him upright 10 more times a year is more important to the team than saving the money and signing an aging vet.