Tom Brady delivers video message to family of Navy SEAL killed in action

Memorial Day weekend has various forms of relevance and significance to American society, but it fundamentally remains a moment to remember and to honor those who have died, often under horrific circumstances, in the service of our country.

And so it’s appropriate to share the story of one of the most recent American soldiers killed in action.

On May 5, 38-year-old Kyle Milliken became the first American service member killed in Somalia since the early 1990s, dying in a firefight during a raid. The Maine native and former track athlete at UConn had a connection to the Patriots; in 2011, Milliken and other Navy SEALs took part in a training exercise at Gillette Stadium.

Milliken spent 15 years in the Navy, earning a spot on SEAL Team Six and securing four Bronze Stars for his efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Bill Speros of the Boston Herald explains that, at Milliken’s funeral this week, quarterback Tom Brady delivered a video message to the family, thanking his wife and their two children for their sacrifice.

“It was an honor to host Kyle and his team for an exercise at Gillette Stadium in 2011,” Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement earlier this week, via Speros. “It gave new meaning to the stadium being known as home of the Patriots. We were deeply saddened to hear of Kyle’s death earlier this month.

“As Memorial Day weekend approaches, we are reminded of the sacrifices made by patriots like Kyle and so many others who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend and protect our rights as Americans. Our thoughts, prayers and heartfelt appreciation are extended to the Milliken family and the many families who will be remembering lives lost this Memorial Day weekend.”

We extend our condolences to Kyle Milliken’s family and to all for whom Memorial Day serves as a tangible and painful reminder of the sacrifice made by a family member, loved one, colleague, or friend.

64 responses to “Tom Brady delivers video message to family of Navy SEAL killed in action

1. Brady does many small things like this that are never noted, just quietly done and on about his way.

2. Not treating kneeling during the anthem and honorably serving your country as mutually exclusive…..that’s what it means to be an American. Neither option is “sickening”. Hard to grasp for some, I guess.

3. It would be more remarkable if he had done the video and not received any recognition for doing so. Publicity … sad.

4. Jealousy and deep, deep hatred must flow in order to “down vote” comments on Brady’s kind gesture to the family. It’s freaking Memorial Day weekend!!!

5. harrisonhits2 says:
    May 28, 2017 10:19 AM

///////////

Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT

6. thrifty says:
    May 28, 2017 10:30 AM
    =================================
    In general, most charitable giving is best done privately. However, this type of gesture brings positive attention to the heroism of Kyle Milliken and that does matter. What is sad is the passing of Miliken, not Brady’s remembrance. Thank you to Mike Florio for posting a picture of Miliken on Memorial Day weekend. Perfect from Brady and PFT.

7. There is a great post-Super Bowl 51 interview with Belichick at a BBQ restaurant for Navy personnel. If you are interested in seeing more NFL employees represent the league with dignity and true patriotism. Otherwise stick with failed QBs from San Francisco I guess.

8. “Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT”

Yes which doesn’t mean there are many other things like this he does that are never noted on PFT or anywhere. Which is exactly what I said earlier with slightly different semantics.

Reading comprehension. Get some.

9. Proud reason why I stand when the National Anthem is played. It’s in remembrance and to honor person in the military that have their life.

It brings back one vivid memory I would like to share with all on Memorial Day if you please.

I was standing on the Tarmac at Cam Ranh Bay along with ,I don’t know, maybe 100 other guys. We all were finally leaving Vietnam. Joking laughing smoking joints. You could pick out who the grunts were. We all had long hair, beards unshaven. Most of us still had our fatigues on that were pretty shabby as they pulled us out of the bush, took us to the rear, fed us and next morning they took us to the airport.

I could tell the ones that had jobs in the rear. All clean shave , nice dress uniforms. I admit I cursed them a little under my breath. LOL but hey , they were going home too. We hugged shook hands and the. It started to calm down and all of a sudden it was silent. I saw guys staring past us out to the plane. I turned around and saw the what everyone saw before I did.

There was a line of little work horse tractors coming towards us. In tow was caskets draped with American flags.

Anstaff sargeant in the group jumped out in front and yelled in his deep Southern accent.

“Ya all stand at attention and salute your brothers they will board the plane first. ”

There were guys that were on patrol literally, less then 24 hours prior. If any of you were over there the. You know a grunt (infantryman) looks like. We weren’t very pretty. I cried we all cried. I remember thinking I am going to see my family and girlfriend and these guys are going home in a box. I had seen many dead in the field but this was ,I can’t cen find a word to explain what I was feeling.

So to the ones that say the kid had the right to kneel and show no respect for our flag or Anthem. So be it. Just remember this. There are American families of every race that worried and read or looked at any news they could about what was going on in Vietnam. Every family of every race cherished any letter they received from their loved ones in the service. The flag that draped this caskets is presented to the family when the soldier is buried. E

I can more then guarantee all those flags that came with all those caskets are in a place for everyone to see. Regardless of race or race economic situation , the only thing the family has to remember their Son/daughter , brother/sister, Husband/wife , father, Is pictures, memories and that flag. That soldier will be forever young in their family’s mind. Sorry to drag on. To all my fellow servicemen men and women that gave their lives or limbs, Instamd and Salute you 👍🇺🇸

10. So you know of the things Brady did but was never noted. He must trust you with all this information. It’s kind of like the tree falling in the forest. Quit acting like you are privy to this non noted charitywork he does. It’s a bad look.

11. It is funny how so many people whine about a sports figure kneeling during the Anthem, showing his American freedom of expression) yet say little about people who spew hate towards others in political rallies (see many of Trump’s rallies) or towards those that do not look or act like them. Two true heroes died this week in Portland defend a Muslim woman from hate in case you forgot as the President has.

12. Props to Tommy Five Rings. Not a Patriots fan but good for him to reach out to this sailor’s family. Little gestures like this can mean so much.

13. harrisonhits2 says:
    May 28, 2017 11:14 AM
    “Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT”

Reading comprehension. Get some.

///////////////

You’ve made my point. You are assuming he does many things like this, but you don’t know because “they are never noted on PFT or anywhere” my reading comprehension is excellent. Brady seems like one of the good guys and one of the top QBs. And I’m sure you love that he is on your team. But do not insult our intelligence with your assumptions. For all you know he may kick puppies behind closed doors.

14. mrkbuilders says:

======================================

15. thrifty says:

==================================

I’m no Patriot fan, but how do you know it wasn’t the family who told the press?

16. abninf says:
    May 28, 2017 12:35 PM

///////////

Fake news

17. Today and tomorrow at the Navy Seal Museum in my hometown it is a very big couple of days. The gesture that Tom Brady made has not gone unnoticed here.Thank you Tom.

18. thrifty says:
    May 28, 2017 10:30 AM
    flviking says:
    May 28, 2017 10:49 AM
    Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT…
    ———————————–
    The Pats didn’t publicize it, Brady didn’t publicize it, it was a video link to a private moment of grief and rememberance. However, because it was Brady news got out to the Herald, and because it was Brady it got reported on PFT. So quit your infantile and obnoxious whining.

19. Much respect to Tom Brady for reaching out to a grieving family, and even more respect to all those who serve our country abroad and at home.

Why don’t many of us speak out about things like Portland? Because this is a FOOTBALL site. But I’ll entertain that topic. The murderer in Portland was a Bernie supporter, did you know that? Did you know one of the people who stood up for that woman was a Republican? Probably not because it doesn’t fit the narrative. Those who wish to divide, apply the actions of one to an entire group. This is my objection to Kaep, he is a divider. I don’t blame any team for ignoring him any more than I would blame a team for ignoring Riley Cooper. Playing in the NFL is a privilege.

So, while I disagree with him, I thank God every day that I don’t live in a country where he would go to jail for his protest. And I thank every single person who has dripped sweat, lost blood or died to keep that freedom. God bless the United States of America!!

20. You can see that hatred by the leftists on most news networks and on colleges across the country every day. They literally show more hate towards America than they do ISIS.

____________________________

Your comment is part of the divisive hatred of which you speak, and is contributing to the problem, not the solution.

21. Thanks for your comments Mongo. Thank you also for your service. I feel the exact same way. I was in Desert Storm and one man under my direct command lost his life over there. I have never forgotten him. Paying respect to the flag is my way of honoring him and others like him who served to give us the freedoms we have. So many military people are offended by those who refuse to stand for the flag and those who have given their lives for it. I understand the gesture but it would be nice if they chose a different way to show their feelings.

Hopefully people will remember what this weekend is all about instead of just being thankful for another day to get drunk.

22. Obviously all this small minded people on here don’t realize Tom didn’t post this on his social media so that the family can have there privacy in a tragic time.

23. daddeeo says:
    May 28, 2017 1:45 PM
    God Bless the troops.

how are you gonna hate this organization?

///////////////

I don’t hate the organization, they are exceptionally well run. The results (SBs) are all you need to see. Everyone hates the fans. They are much like the seahawk fan base. Lots of band wagoners. Arrogance runs rampant as the they actually think they are on the team

24. I salute Kyle Milliken this weekend for doing such a dangerous job for his country. But, am I the only person wondering why our Seals were executing a raid in Somalia?

25. notwhoyouthinkitis says:
    May 28, 2017 11:48 AM
    It is funny how so many people whine about a sports figure kneeling during the Anthem, showing his American freedom of expression) yet say little about people who spew hate towards others…
    _________________________

That may have something to do with this being PFT and not the OpEd page. It is ironic that you take exception to others expressing themselves in a manner that isn’t to your liking.

Like Mongo3401 I was a participant in the SE Asian War Games, our team took the silver by the way. You would be hard pressed to find a group of people that have more respect for the rights of others. Believing in and respecting those rights doesn’t mean we have to embrace the method of expression. Just as those two men did not embrace the hate that deranged individual was spewing at those two young women. While I would have preferred he chose another method Kaepernick certainly has the right to freedom of expression as do all of us. You should however bear in mind freedom of expression does not guarantee freedom from consequence but rather from prosecution. When the anthem is sung at a sporting event it doesn’t happen in a vacuum, it is sung as an accompaniment to the presentation of the colors. It’s hard to put into words what those colors means to a combat vet. For young men in a far away and hostile environment that flag was more than just some rigid formalized symbol. It gave a sense of normalcy to an alien place, of family and home, thoughts of a safe secure place where life was not cheap and the individual was valued. It was also the blanket that covered all too many of our brothers during their final trip back to that place and remains in our hearts a symbol of their sacrifice. You can rest assured every one of them would have stood up for those two girls had they been fortunate enough to be there.

Our freedoms aren’t free, they were and continue to be paid for in the dearest coin of all; the lives of others. Hopefully you can find it in your heart to accept it evokes a visceral reaction in some of us to have a dilettante who has reaped the benefit of the sacrifices those others made equate our flag with oppression, disrespecting them and it in the process. You will also just have to accept that we may on occasion exercise our right to give voice to that reaction. On Memorial Day in particular it behooves us to remember in times where all gave some, some gave all. And we should all honor the sacrifice of those some at every opportunity.

26. streetyson says:
    May 28, 2017 1:07 PM
    thrifty says:
    May 28, 2017 10:30 AM
    flviking says
    May 28, 2017 10:49 AM
    Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT…
    ———————————–

////////

Brady’s agent publicized it. He did it under Brady’s direction. I know you don’t want to believe this and probably it will start your infantile and obnoxious whining.

27. “And yet you applaud Kaep for kneeling during the National Anthem. Sickening. Tom Brady, thank you for being a true American.”

I think many have missed the point with Kaep. His kneeling was meant to draw attention to what he sees as social injustice. The problem is that may cannot get past the act in order to hear what he is actually trying to say. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with his actions. But I do understand why he is doing it. He has also donated $50K to help with the “Meals on Wheels” program which is $50K more than I or most of you reading this blog have donated. Somehow, that fact seems to be missing. Really, we all need to come together to understand each other. We all want the same things. By the way, Brady is the greatest of all time!

28. God bless the brave men and women in our Armed Forces . Thank you for your courage and sacrifice that allow us to live in freedom.

29. Very nice gesture by Brady but many people will still see him as an elitist who enjoys his foreign Aston Martin, foreign Ugg boots, strange foods, and foreign vacations.

30. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    May 28, 2017 2:59 PM
    Very nice gesture by Brady but…
    =============================

Give it a rest, comments on this article is hardly the place to engage in your childish self indulgence. Have you no shame?

31. spyder9669 says:
    May 28, 2017 12:29 PM
    You can always find Tommy boy sniffing around a deflating situation.

———————-

At momets like this you have to choose. Which is bigger in you? Your sports hating, or your apprectiation and respect for the sacrifices our fallen heroes have made for you.

And so for everyone here their posts will reveal their answer.

32. @jag1959

III MEF. Oooorah brother. 2 1/2 months Khe Sanh. You got silver? We got gold then LOL. Beautiful Quang Tri Province. After all we went thru , they dismantled th base. I rotated out right after that. I salute you my brother. BTW. Big words you used. Had to google some of them 😁🇺🇸

33. These messages by famous people probably make the famous feel better about their lot than actually provide any comfort for the closest family members of the dead. I know if I lost a son or daughter god forbid that happens to anybody I couldn’t give a damm about messages from famous people who didn’t know the loved one in question. This is not an attack Brady as I know nothing about what he does or doesn’t do. Having said that he seems to me more than likely someone who does a lot for charity that goes under the radar. Those of you having a pop at Kap don’t really get the concept of what these boys and girls are doing now and our grandads and grannies have done fighting wars around the world.

34. abninf says:
    May 28, 2017 12:35 PM
    mrkbuilders says:

======================================

——–

Yes…..this x1000. Today’s leftists are some of the most Intolerant hating bunch this country has ever seen. They are all for free speech, as long as it does not offend them….then they want it shut down. They represent the absolute worst America has to offer.

35. mongo3401 says:
    May 28, 2017 11:22 AM

////////////////

Mongo I read your comment and I cried. Thank you for your service. I have 2 brothers that were in that ugly conflict. They both came home, alive.

36. I support the troops by demanding that they NOT be exposed to injury and death in perpetual illegal war waged for profits, costing the American taxpayer $trillions, causing injury, death and destruction to foreign civilians and countries and leading to increased hatred and terrorism against Americans.

37. U. S. Marine Corps Major General Smedley Darlington Butler wrote: “I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

38. @mongo3401, 2-506th one of the fabled and fatally flawed “chicken men” of the scenic A Shau Valley in lovely Thua Thien easily accessible to GP’s via route 548…you know the rest. FWIW, sorry to make you look up some words, lmao. Blame it on using the GIB after I got out to get an education. I got a harsh lesson in my very first semester at NU to show the printed language some respect if I wanted there to be a second semester, guess it just always stayed with me since. At heart I’m still just a guy from ‘The Back’ in Red Hook.

Oooorah and respect my brother, you Crunchies did alright!

39. Not only is Tom Brady the best quarterback ever, I personally know of many acts of kindness he has done over the years, such as bringing a boy with terminal cancer to sit on the sidelines of a Patriots game, writing many letters to sick kids, etc. Some of you guys are just so jealous of him that you can’t admit he is a nice guy. Deflategate? Try reading the article written that polled 10 NFL starters that said they all adjust the ball, and how about when the Steelers were caught doing it last year and nothing happened. Haters just love to hate. You go Tom!!!!!!

40. flviking says:
    May 28, 2017 2:22 PM
    streetyson says:
    May 28, 2017 1:07 PM
    thrifty says:
    May 28, 2017 10:30 AM
    flviking says
    May 28, 2017 10:49 AM
    Nobody knows about this. There’s just a article on PFT…
    ———————————–

////////

——————-

Like was posted earlier, how do you know it was under Brady’s direction? Are you privy to information others aren’t? SMH. Get a clue, hater.