Adam Vinatieri still having fun, not thinking of retiring at age 44

Getty Images

Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri is the oldest player in the NFL at age 44, but he doesn’t appear to be winding his career down.

Vinatieri isn’t even thinking about retiring yet, according to the Colts’ website.

“Yeah, you know I still love the game as much as I ever have,” Vinatieri said. “It’s fun running out onto the field. It’s much more fun playing in the playoffs. Cleaning out your locker the first week of January is not a whole lot of fun and it always leaves a lousy taste in your mouth. I still love running out onto the field. I still think I can help our team win games and why not keep going?”

Vinatieri turns 45 on December 28, meaning in the Colts’ Week 17 game he’s set to become the eighth player in NFL history to play at age 45. The oldest NFL player ever was George Blanda at 48, and the next-oldest was Morten Andersen at 47. It wouldn’t be a shock to see Vinatieri play until 2019 or 2020 and make it to 47 or 48. Maybe even longer.

Vinatieri was one of the better kickers in the league last year, hitting 27 of his 31 field goal attempts and making all 44 of his extra point tries. As long as he can keep playing at that level, there’s no reason he shouldn’t keep having fun.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Adam Vinatieri still having fun, not thinking of retiring at age 44”
  1. redlikethepig says: May 30, 2017 5:32 AM

And you’ll never ever make this kind of money again.

2. nflwatcher says: May 30, 2017 5:58 AM

He is now 110 points behind all-time leading kicker Morten Andersen so he probably is sticking around to break that record and ensure a place in Canton.

3. footballfan58 says: May 30, 2017 6:09 AM

Thank you, Adam, for all your valuable contributions to the New England Patriots. I will always be a fan of yours no matter what team you play on.

4. RogerThat! says: May 30, 2017 6:16 AM

If he stayed a Patriot, he would have cleaned his locker out in January only twice in his entire career. Think about that for a minute.

5. oldhuskerfan says: May 30, 2017 7:41 AM

I think his place in Canton is already assured.

6. ikeclanton says: May 30, 2017 8:04 AM

A sure fire Hall of Famer. Play until someone comes along that’s better

7. elyasm says: May 30, 2017 8:26 AM

I’ll bet Vinatieri and Brady have a bet going to see who retires first.

8. yankeemofo says: May 30, 2017 8:51 AM

nflwatcher says:
    May 30, 2017 5:58 AM

———

I think his place is locked down, even if he retired today.

9. streetyson says: May 30, 2017 9:34 AM

nflwatcher says:
    May 30, 2017 5:58 AM
    He is now 110 points behind all-time leading kicker Morten Andersen..
    —————
    Hey nflwatcher, Morten Andersen = 2544, Vinatieri = 2378, which puts him 166 behind (and btw, Gary Anderson got to 2434 so is still currently 2nd all-time). Whilst I was sad to see Vinatieri leave NE, Gostowski’s percentages are actually slightly higher: FG %s Gos 87.1, Vin 84.3, and PAT %s Gos 99.3, Vin 98.4, despite Vinatieri playing in a dome for half his 21-season career. Gostowski (1457 points in 11 seasons, aged 33) is currently on pace to easily overhaul both Vinatieri and Andersen if he keeps playing to a do-able age of 40. Still, I agree with your opinion that Vinatieri wants Andersen’s record, which he should reach in the 2018 season.

10. nflwatcher says: May 30, 2017 9:41 AM

OK I will amend that to say he ensure he’s a first ballot HOF member

11. weepingjebus says: May 30, 2017 10:05 AM

Best description of him I’ve heard is that he is a football player who happens to be a kicker.

12. harrisonhits2 says: May 30, 2017 10:18 AM

Always appreciate this guy as a complete football player and not just a kicker.

I remember quite a number of times when a kick returner broke through on the Pats special teams and Adam laid a beautiful tackle on the guy to save a TD.

Hang on as long as you can Adam.

13. bullcharger says: May 30, 2017 10:22 AM

Greatest kicker of all time. Looking forward to him getting into the HOF.

14. ricko1112 says: May 30, 2017 10:41 AM

weepingjebus says:

May 30, 2017 10:05 AM
    ______________
    Wasn’t he the kicker who chased down Hershel Walker from behind and tackled him short of the end zone?

15. alphafantasyfootball says: May 30, 2017 11:04 AM

I’d be having fun too if I made $3 million a year to play football in the NFL. He’s lucky, and it’s great he realizes it. HOF career.

16. ibillwt says: May 30, 2017 11:05 AM

Made right move to kick inside, probably wouldn’t have lasted as long in the cold and wind. Maybe his road numbers belie that, but he hasn’t had to kick in late season weather for a long time with the Clots.

17. navyvandal says: May 30, 2017 11:20 AM

I remember being FURIOUS about him leaving us in FA. I was sure he was a patriot for life. Going from Adam to Stevie is fluidity and continuity at its finest. Nobody is perfect. Steve has screwed up, and so has Adam, but 21 years of nearly automatic kicking is phenomenal.

18. truetrue85 says: May 30, 2017 11:30 AM

Man I miss the heck out of this guy in New England. I’ll never forget the day they let him walk to Indy, still mad about that to be honest. Now that he’s been a Colt longer than he was a Patriot… just isn’t right man. Best of luck to you Adam, keep chugging away as long as you can.

19. nhpats says: May 30, 2017 11:39 AM

truetrue85 says:
    May 30, 2017 11:30 AM

————

I think BB let him walk because he could not kick the ball into the end zone any longer…. Keep in mind that the Colts have had another guy doing kickoffs for many years…..Adam only kicks FGs and XPs.

20. bencoates57 says: May 30, 2017 11:50 AM

He’s been retired ever since he joined the Colts.

21. navyvandal says: May 30, 2017 12:05 PM

————

——————————————–

Well said from both of you, i was upset he left, but according to interviews from the 06 season, he said the patriots did not really contact his agent about a new contract and when he his FA to “not screw around.” Green Bay said no at first. Part of me thinks that was because of the relationship between Bill and Mike McCarthy. And yes, Adam could NOT put it in the back of the end zone, everything became returnable. Ill say this, after the BS Mangini pulled with us trying to get coaches to the meadowlands, and poison pill Deion branch, im glad he was NOT a jet.

22. silvernblacksabbath says: May 30, 2017 12:29 PM

He’s great but he’s no GEORGE BLANDA!!!! lol

23. davew128 says: May 30, 2017 1:29 PM

ricko1112 says:
    May 30, 2017 10:41 AM
    ______________
    —————————-
    It was indeed!

24. piratefreedom says: May 30, 2017 1:31 PM

redlikethepig says:
    May 30, 2017 5:32 AM

And you’ll never ever make this kind of money again.

——————–

if he isn’t set for life by now he is an idiot.
    I don’t think he is an idiot

25. truetrue85 says: May 30, 2017 2:32 PM

————

——————————————–

——————————–

Man I couldn’t agree more on the Jets thing! You know, ironically enough though, now with the new touchback rule putting the ball at the 25, I think Bill would LOVE Adam on kickoffs now considering he has Gostkowski dropping the ball around the 5 now to keep them inside the 20 haha

26. gtrav says: May 30, 2017 3:14 PM

Adam Vinatieri is a legend.