Bears cut a quarterback to make room for Victor Cruz

Getty Images

The Bears officially added Victor Cruz to the roster, so they had to make room for him.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Bears completed the transaction by waiving quarterback Connor Shaw.

Shaw didn’t play last year because of a broken leg, and they’ve since added free agents Mike Glennon and Mark Sanchez and No. 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky to the mix, so he was surplus to requirements anyway.

Shaw has actually played well in some preseasons, and could be an upgrade over what some teams are carrying at the moment. He’s also spent time with the Browns, and the Saints and Seahawks tried to claim him off waivers when Cleveland let him go.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Bears cut a quarterback to make room for Victor Cruz”
  1. QB Film Room says: May 30, 2017 9:51 AM

This is Odd. Anyone who watched Shaw play during the Pre-Season I believe last year and who has followed him since his days at South Car. Knows he probably is better than Sanchez at this point. Not sure what to think… And I love Mark too

2. xargscutgrep says: May 30, 2017 9:55 AM

Best of luck Shaw… and wish us luck in sorting through the 20 some odd wide receivers on the roster.

I hesitate to say it, but Pace is putting together a good roster. We might have better TEs than WRs, but I think Glennon will be able to do something with Meredith, Wheaton, Wright, and now Cruz.

3. scoops1 says: May 30, 2017 9:55 AM

they should cut another player to make room for Cruz’s ego

4. edavidberg says: May 30, 2017 9:56 AM

I think they want Sanchez as a mentor for Trubisky.

5. vegasbearfan says: May 30, 2017 10:00 AM

I would have axed Sanchez instead- Shaw has potential- we knows what Sanchez is. I think Shaw could be a better QB from what I saw.

6. redlikethepig says: May 30, 2017 10:03 AM

Good luck Victor.

7. Indybear says: May 30, 2017 10:28 AM

Can Victor still play? We don’t know, but as long as Victor feels love, I guess that’s all that matters.

Butt fumble Sanchez passed for the most yards last year of all the Bears QB’s. A grand total of 93 yards. Not a typo.

8. phuzzball says: May 30, 2017 12:00 PM

As a Clemson alum and fan, and SC resident, I watched Connor Shaw play a lot of games. Quite simply, he is a winner and has the talent to play in the NFL. If given a real chance, there are several teams he could start for. I would put Glennon ahead of him, but other than that, he’s probably the 2nd best on the roster. For the life of me, can’t figure out what scouts see in Trubisky. I mean, he went before Deshaun Watson…give me a break!

9. footballisnotthatimportant says: May 30, 2017 12:34 PM

edavidberg says:
    May 30, 2017 9:56 AM
    I think they want Sanchez as a mentor for Trubisky.

_______________________

Mentor for what?

10. laxcoach37 says: May 30, 2017 1:33 PM

footballisnotthatimportant says:
    May 30, 2017 12:34 PM
    edavidberg says:
    May 30, 2017 9:56 AM
    I think they want Sanchez as a mentor for Trubisky.

_______________________

Mentor for what?
    ————————————————

Mentor to teach when to wear Mens(?)White Jeans and how to fix a Hot Dog craving during an actual NFL game. Buttfumbling is a skill that can’t be taught; he stands alone in history on that unique trait.

11. coltssteve says: May 31, 2017 12:13 PM

Sanchize can mentor Trubisky on how to commit a proper butt fumble

12. alphafantasyfootball says: Jun 2, 2017 10:14 AM

Will there be daily Shaw posts updating us on his quest for another NFL job?