Trumaine Johnson skips OTA, Rams don’t know why

Getty Images

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who signed a franchise tender for the second straight year, is under contract but not required to appear for voluntary offseason drills. On Tuesday, Johnson unexpectedly didn’t show up for an OTA session.

“We weren’t expecting him not to be here,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Tuesday. “He’s done a great job communicating with us, but I’m not really sure where he was today.”

The move came as a surprise because Johnson previously had been participating.

“Trumaine’s been excellent this offseason program,” McVay said. “Certainly, it was one of those things . . . you get out on the field and maybe there’s something that’s happened since then. So, I don’t have my phone on me, but it is voluntary and I think that’s something that’s important for us to remember. Certainly, you like it when all of your guys are here, but I thought the guys that stepped up in his absence today, did a nice job competing. You saw good things from E.J. Gaines, Nickell [Robey-Coleman], so that’s the thing you like about your secondary with the depth that we do have.”

McVay seemed to struggle striking the balance between the rule that the workouts are voluntary and the reality that coaches want their players to be present.

“It’s a situation where I continue to remind people that it is voluntary,” McVay said. “We’re not sure where Trumaine was today, but it is voluntary. . . . I’m sure we’ll find out specifically because he’s done a great job this offseason communicating and being here every day. I’m sure we’ll find out a little bit more moving forward.”

With Johnson not signed to a long-term deal and a July 15 deadline looming for reaching such an agreement, was the absence contract related?

“I don’t think so,” McVay said. “But, again, those are things that we’re keeping in-house. Not sure about that, to answer your question. Haven’t heard anything of that nature, right now.”

Johnson surely didn’t stay away without a reason, especially since he’d been participating. Time will tell what the reason was.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Trumaine Johnson skips OTA, Rams don’t know why”
  1. blowfishes says: May 30, 2017 9:23 PM

It’s voluntary and the guy probably didn’t feel up to participating. Nothing wrong with that and he’ll be there for mandatory camp…

2. scoreatwill says: May 30, 2017 9:28 PM

They need Johnson bad. Contrary to the coach speak, they have no depth and Gaines is injury prone (look at his past record).
    My guess is that he is trying to force a trade/release and who could blame him!

3. mongo3401 says: May 30, 2017 9:31 PM

The new NFL. Footballers that are not required to show up will not. The Ol win one for the Gipper talk is gone. These ghetto clowns now think they control the NFL. President Johnson screwed the pooch my people.

4. jagsfanugh says: May 30, 2017 9:33 PM

Voluntary. Does he really need a reason? Unreal how this gets blown up.

5. thegreatgabbert says: May 30, 2017 9:44 PM

Tu’rmaine at home.

6. dickshotdogs says: May 30, 2017 9:48 PM

Don’t be an idiot. It’s always about the money. Always.

7. sdffa11 says: May 30, 2017 10:09 PM

wow. stop asking about his absence and fishing for a story. if you’re going to do this with every player who doesnt attend VOLUNTARY OTAs, i’ll stop following PFT.

f’ing turning into ESPN with this drama BS.

8. 26predator says: May 30, 2017 11:03 PM

I’m so sick of all the belly-aching surrounding these “voluntary” workouts which aren’t treated as voluntary at all.

Either they’re voluntary or they’re not. If they are then the coaches and the other players need to shut the hell up with their whining when someone isn’t there.

9. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: May 30, 2017 11:06 PM

The first names these parents give these poor kids. Is his brother’s name Falsemaine?

10. tomtravis76 says: May 30, 2017 11:20 PM

If his contract or CBA says he doesn’t have to be there,than it’s a non issue.

11. FinFan68 says: May 30, 2017 11:28 PM

Yes, it is voluntary. But a courtesy call shouldn’t be. It’s part of being a professional and a member of a team. I’m not singling him out for criticism. I mean this in a general way concerning all players who choose to not show up. It is harder to plan certain things when you have no idea who will be there from one day to the next.

12. fearsome4 says: May 31, 2017 12:07 AM

I think clueless football fans should begin commenting NOW!

13. jimmyjohns01 says: May 31, 2017 1:17 AM

My employer don’t know where I’m at either for voluntary work events. None of their business what I do on my time off.

14. nwofolife says: May 31, 2017 1:29 AM

Rams lol

15. smartcollegefootball says: May 31, 2017 2:03 AM

Circus

16. burndownhottopic says: May 31, 2017 7:13 AM

He sounds like Bill Lumberg…I just stepped away from my desk…want to make sure you know it’s not a half day or anything.
    It’s voluntary…but we’re not sure where he is.
    McVay sounds like a real peach.

17. mutygerfan says: May 31, 2017 8:40 AM

I never could understand why a “voluntary ” activity is looked upon as mandatory.

18. mazenblue says: May 31, 2017 9:03 AM

I wonder what the history behind the name Trumaine is? If I was African America, Id use actual African names like the rest of the world uses names. Making these ghetto names is funny stuff. Are Mexicans Americans supposed to do the same, Maria or Pablo, its Marianiqua and Pablomaine

19. kferguson2002 says: May 31, 2017 9:34 AM

I think these people commenting using the word “ghetto” really use that as a code word for black

20. kneedragr says: May 31, 2017 9:50 AM

He is in his prime earning years and they wont sign him to a long term deal, but they dont understand why he wont bend over backwards for them?

21. mogogo1 says: May 31, 2017 10:00 AM

I love the insinuation from this article that he should have had the following conversation: “Hi, it’s me. You know those things I don’t have to be at? I won’t be at them. Bye.”

22. donbat67 says: May 31, 2017 10:56 AM

I don’t even know who this guy is but I gotta read it , I need a hobby .

23. jimmyt says: May 31, 2017 12:31 PM

Doesn’t want to play for the Rams. Blame him?