Jordan Howard loses weight to improve on Pro Bowl rookie season

Getty Images

Rookie running back Jordan Howard was one of the few bright spots in Chicago last season, getting to the Pro Bowl and finishing second in the NFL in rushing. But he’s not satisfied.

Howard said today that he has lost weight and worked on improving his diet this offseason after weighing in the 230s as a rookie.

“I want to be like 225 [pounds] during the season, so I’m still trying to cut weight,” Howard said, via the Chicago Sun-Times. “I thought it was going to be a much slower pace in the NFL because it wasn’t a lot of up-tempo [offenses]. But the pace is still fast, so you have to be in great shape. They’re not expecting you to be getting into shape here. You’ve got to come in in shape and be ready.”

At this time last year Howard was a little-known rookie just fighting for a roster spot, but he now thinks he has to set a good example for teammates who will look up to him.

“Since I’m a Pro Bowler, people are going to be looking at me and seeing what I’m doing,” Howard said. “If I’m practicing hard, other people are going to want to practice hard when they see me do that. I just try to set the tone when I come out here.”

Howard is setting the tone both on the practice field and in the kitchen.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Jordan Howard loses weight to improve on Pro Bowl rookie season”
  1. greg3117 says: May 31, 2017 4:44 PM

sounds a little full of himself for being one year removed from his rookie year.

2. irishlion62 says: May 31, 2017 4:45 PM

This guy is a heck of a player. As a Lions fan I am much more worried about him than Dalvin Cook. Cook needs to stay healthy(shoulders) and not fumble. If he can do that he has the raw talent to be a difference maker. Time will tell.

3. bassplucker says: May 31, 2017 4:59 PM

He’ll be fine if the Bears OL can hang. They will likely be without Kyle Long for at least the first few games. That, and not getting hurt, which for Bears players seems to be a question of when, not if.

4. larryboodry says: May 31, 2017 5:02 PM

I like his attitude.

5. bears4life says: May 31, 2017 5:13 PM

Sounds full of himself for wanting to come into camp in shape and realizing after making the Pro Bowl his work ethic will be under a microscope? Yeah, sounds like a real ego maniac! OR maybe he sounds wise for a kid one year removed from college and someone who wants to get better and help his team get better. Go troll someone who actually deserves it greg3117.

6. revelation123 says: May 31, 2017 5:18 PM

Unlike Eddie Lacy, Howard doesn’t need to lose any weight. It was a part of what made Howard so effective.

7. jmscooby says: May 31, 2017 5:42 PM

Great attitude. I hope continues to go “old school” mentality, as he has shown thus far. Best of luck to the young man!

8. nyneal says: May 31, 2017 6:43 PM

This kid gets it. Hats off to him and as a Packers fan he has earned my respect already.

9. realfootballfan says: May 31, 2017 6:55 PM

You take a QB #2 and a WR top 10, and of course the 5th round RB from Indiana will end up being the only good player between them.

10. vicnocal says: May 31, 2017 6:59 PM

The Bears are going to continue to ride this workhorse RB for the next couple of years to the tune of $600 grand a year or whatever paltry amount he makes as a 5th round pick -similar to how the Redskins did with Alfred Morris’s first 3 years. The NFLPA negotiated a pathetic agreement for the incoming rookies who get drafted outside of the 1st round.

11. notlistinin says: May 31, 2017 7:36 PM

He gets it. Good on this young man. It’s all too rare for these young guys to treat what they have with respect.

Good luck dude.

12. firejerry says: May 31, 2017 7:50 PM

Too bad he will be worn out and broken down by the time the Bears complete (if they ever do) their rebuild.

13. billybone says: May 31, 2017 8:15 PM

I’ve never heard of this guy, but I like him. Great attitude!!

14. lovemesomevikewins says: May 31, 2017 9:53 PM

No one really expected Jordon to do so well last year. I think he will continue to rack up the yards, he doesn’t go down easy. He tore my Vikings a new one last year.

15. daaabears says: Jun 1, 2017 4:34 AM

Love this kid, but this;

“I thought it was going to be a much slower pace in the NFL…”

Whut?