DeMarcus Lawrence on disappointing 2016: “That’s not me”

Getty Images

After breaking out with eight sacks in 2015, Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence had a very disappointing 2016: He was suspended for the first four games, then missed the last three games with a back injury, and he finished with just one sack. Now, Lawrence says, he’s ready to get back on track.

Lawrence told the Star-Telegram he’s getting his weight under control, getting healthy, and getting ready for a big year.

“A one sack year? That’s not me,” Lawrence said. “I’ve already got that in my mind, you know, that I’m going to be the best. When my son grows up, I want him to say, ‘Man, my dad was a beast.’ The film don’t lie. I’ve just got to make sure I put it on the film now.”

So how big a year can Lawrence have?

“My goal is 10-plus sacks all the time. I feel like I can be a Pro Bowl player, I just haven’t lived up to those expectations dealing with the injuries and my personal issues,” he said.

A 2014 second-round draft pick, Lawrence is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. A 10-sack season this year would make him a very wealthy man next year.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
7 Responses to “DeMarcus Lawrence on disappointing 2016: “That’s not me””
  1. jjones1446 says: Jun 1, 2017 6:41 PM

He is in a contract year, what else is he going to say. I hope he has a great year, so he will get paid, I hope that for everyone in a contract year.

2. sportoficionado says: Jun 1, 2017 6:52 PM

DLAW needs to stop flapping his gums and show it on the field. Last year was mainly on him (suspension not injury), so he has some making up to do and i’de rather not hear from him until he starts making plays on the field like he did his rookie year.

3. theaveragecharlie says: Jun 1, 2017 7:24 PM

Yes it is. It’s you.

4. lowphatt says: Jun 1, 2017 11:06 PM

bust.

5. txrawdog says: Jun 2, 2017 10:55 AM

If Randy Gregory wasn’t on our team everyone would hate Demarcus Lawrence so much more. We gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up and get him and although he had a decent year in 2015 he was awful last year with the suspension and then nagging injuries. Hopefully he can turn it around.

6. brendafortheboyz says: Jun 2, 2017 11:07 AM

I certainly hope he shows that mindset on the field!!! We need him to do so…….

7. stucats says: Jun 2, 2017 7:51 PM

STAY CLEAN, PLAY MEAN AND YOU WILL COLLECT THE GREEN!