Washington LB Zach Brown thinks he can be NFL’s defensive MVP

Getty Images

Zach Brown was a Pro Bowl linebacker in Buffalo last season, but he spent a few weeks as a free agent, didn’t get any huge offers, and eventually settled for a one-year $2.3 million contract in Washington. Now he’s eager to prove he’s worth a lot more than that.

Brown told ESPN that he has his sights very high — on the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year award.

I want to win the defensive MVP,” Brown said.

Brown thinks that with a huge year, he can send a message to the 31 teams that didn’t sign him.

“I’ll make other head coaches pay for not drafting me or picking me up,” Brown said. “I feel [people] still don’t respect me, so for me I have to prove myself again. I always play with a chip on my shoulder. If you don’t respect my game, I will make you respect my game. I can play with the best of them. I’m not just another linebacker that can be replaced. I feel I’m one of the top guys in the league at inside linebacker. I can do everything.”

Those are big ambitions. Washington would love to see Brown live up to them.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
31 Responses to “Washington LB Zach Brown thinks he can be NFL’s defensive MVP”
  1. sportoficionado says: Jun 1, 2017 1:03 PM

I rubbed my eyes for about a minute before rereading the article…and yup he actually said those words and in that order.

2. r8rsfan says: Jun 1, 2017 1:05 PM

Ah, the old favorite “chip on my shoulder”. Doesn’t really have the same sting to it when coming from a young multi-millionaire.
    BTW – Kahlil Mack is the standard now for DMVP, and I don’t think many would put Brown in the same category.

3. marvsleezy says: Jun 1, 2017 1:06 PM

The Bills gave up a 200 hundred yard rusher 3 times with him on the field last year.

Guessing those game tapes didnt help him get signed.

4. twinfan24 says: Jun 1, 2017 1:09 PM

That name makes for a pretty good band, but maybe not a defensive MVP.

5. clayton268921 says: Jun 1, 2017 1:13 PM

Lol as he plays with the second team with OTA’s. He’s the only one with these expectations but he should be a solid rotational guy.

6. zibet says: Jun 1, 2017 1:14 PM

marvsleezy says:
    Jun 1, 2017 1:06 PM

Guessing those game tapes didnt help him get signed.

….

lol 20,000 yards in a game is alot !

7. joma1969 says: Jun 1, 2017 1:15 PM

“I’ll make other head coaches pay for not drafting me or picking me up,”

How about he start by making opposing RBs pay and tackle them for a loss or minimal gain? That’s why he didn’t get the big payday he was looking for. He was looking to get paid like a defensive MVP when he was merely a decent LB in a LB-friendly system.

8. jdzboyz says: Jun 1, 2017 1:15 PM

Couldn’t make it with an actual NFL team so he had to sign with the Redskins. Basically he’s on a CFL team now.

9. aypeeswhippingstick says: Jun 1, 2017 1:21 PM

They really ought to drug test these guys in the offseason too.

10. The Phantom Stranger says: Jun 1, 2017 1:24 PM

If I had a dollar for every time a mediocre player stated that he was going to make everyone pay for overlooking him and/or be considered one of the best in the game, I sure wouldn’t be spending my time commenting here.

11. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 1, 2017 1:25 PM

Me me me who cares if he’s the dmvp if they don’t at least get to the Super Bowl?

I guess he does

12. jdzboyz says: Jun 1, 2017 1:30 PM

Well he’ll probably be on the field for a good portion of the game considering their offense has no decent running backs, below average receivers, and a QB that even they don’t think is worth Mike Glennon money.

13. minnesota1970 says: Jun 1, 2017 1:49 PM

gb needed a LB more than a tight end. TT makes the packers a 1 and done playoff team. Zach Brown would have been a better choice than Bennett. Their defense cannot stop anyone.

14. alphafantasyfootball says: Jun 1, 2017 2:02 PM

———————————————————————————–

You don’t know much about football do you?
    Cousins has been a top 6 QB last 2 years. Pryor had a 1000 yard season with no QB in a bottom offense. Reed in an elite TE in the league. Crowder caught almost 70% of his targets and in 9 games started had over 700 yards. Kelly isn’t an elite RB but he’s serviceable.

I am not a Redskins fan either

15. returntoexcellence says: Jun 1, 2017 2:12 PM

“I’ll make other head coaches pay for not drafting me or picking me up,”

~ Every free agent ever

16. pastabelly says: Jun 1, 2017 2:16 PM

r8rsfan says:
    Jun 1, 2017 1:05 PM
    ======================================
    JJ Watt has won three of the last four and only did not win because he was hurt. He’s the standard. Mack and Von Miller can challenge.

17. joedskins1959 says: Jun 1, 2017 2:22 PM

I’m glad he’s motivated. HTTR

18. ladymacesq says: Jun 1, 2017 2:27 PM

Go for it man…. go getcha some.

#HTTR

19. charger383 says: Jun 1, 2017 2:36 PM

plays for The Redskins

20. fishyinalittledishy says: Jun 1, 2017 2:38 PM

Hey it’s June and everybody is great. Also can’t recall anybody actually achieving such greatness when predicting greatness upon themselves. But I suppose aim high is the way to go. I think when you go public with this sort of bravado your open to ridicule, while the Knights Watch up in the frozen north are deathly silent lol.

21. sbchampsagain says: Jun 1, 2017 2:47 PM

I am not a redskins fan, but that was a heckuva good signing. All upside. A steal for the moneyi if he performs at the pro bowl level.

22. dptbs77 says: Jun 1, 2017 2:48 PM

Yeah, It’s nice to have confidence no doubt, lol, but good luck to that coming true…

23. raiderspy1 says: Jun 1, 2017 2:53 PM

Zach Brown is not even in the same league as J.J Watt or Kahlil Mack. Not even close. Dream on.

24. lanham4eve says: Jun 1, 2017 3:08 PM

Defensive player of the year don’t send it in in the middle of a game for your playoff lives that was very winnable

25. ggagne66 says: Jun 1, 2017 3:16 PM

Decent lb against the pass, horrible against the run. I wanted to see the Bills keep him and try to work with him, but he’s nowhere near dmvp material

26. tylawspick6 says: Jun 1, 2017 3:37 PM

buffalo>>>skins…yikes!

27. vikinganswer says: Jun 1, 2017 3:49 PM

NOT IN BUFFALO

28. donbat67 says: Jun 1, 2017 4:29 PM

I thought he was country singer y’all .

29. ChampKind813 says: Jun 1, 2017 4:44 PM

He prob will add another CMA award to his mantle before Def MVP maybe he’s confused and means hes gonna win the MVP of country music.

30. johnnnyschatzan says: Jun 1, 2017 5:59 PM

I hope he doesn’t face Leveon Bell or Jay Ajayi this season

31. thesmartestmanever says: Jun 3, 2017 1:18 AM

Nobody mentioned he had the second most tackles of all ILB’s last season, and made the Pro Bowl..