Never mind Uber, Davon House hitches a ride via Twitter

Getty Images

Packers cornerback Davon House was stuck in an airport and frustrated, so he did what many people do — he complained about it on Twitter.

But what he ended up was a Lyft to another city.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, some quick connections with some Twitter followers got House a ride home after he was stranded at the airport in Minneapolis.

When House landed in the Twin Cities around 11 p.m., he had missed his connection and was faced with the prospect of being late for OTAs in nine hours. But brothers Chad and Mike Johnson saw his electronic SOS and offered to drive him to Green Bay.

Ignoring the advice of every mom everywhere and accepting a ride from strangers, House began the four-hour jaunt across Wisconsin with two guys he only met through social media.

“I went to bed and I was scrolling through my Twitter and saw he needed a ride,” Chad Johnson said. “My brother lives in Hudson, [Wisconsin]; I’m in Eau Claire. I tweeted him that ‘I could come pick you up,’ and in the meantime I texted my brother that House needs a ride. My brother also tweeted him. He was closer so he swung up to the airport and picked him up, and I met him on Highway 29 so my brother and I could keep each other awake.”

Chad even brought a pillow so House could be well-rested for practice. When they arrived at the airport in Green Bay, they took House to his car, but he insisted on swinging them by Lambeau Field.

“It would’ve been cool just to get a picture with him there, but he was like, ‘Follow me to the stadium and I’ll sign some stuff for you,'” Chad Johnson said. “We told him he didn’t need to do that, and he insisted. He has OTAs at 7:30, and here he is at 3:30 in the morning doing this. So he brought us over there, we got to go in the locker room. He signed some shoes and some gloves and let us take pictures with the Super Bowl trophies.”

House also gave them $80 in gas money, which was literally gas money for him considering he has a $150,000 workout bonus.

But the Johnson brothers have a story to tell, which is even better than a good night’s sleep.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
36 Responses to “Never mind Uber, Davon House hitches a ride via Twitter”
  1. OaklandNomads says: Jun 6, 2017 11:07 AM

thats pretty awesome, House sounds like a cool dude

2. mnrasslinggovjesse says: Jun 6, 2017 11:14 AM

Another example of why Packer fans routinely top “Best Sports Fans” lists.

3. idurenn says: Jun 6, 2017 11:16 AM

Cool story, sounds pretty down to earth.

Why is this on the Vikings page though?

4. trollhater says: Jun 6, 2017 11:18 AM

Okay, gotta admit, pretty cool story on all fronts. Kudos to the Johnson Bros and to House. Something tells me there is going to be more to this story in the coming months that we will never hear about.

5. codythao35 says: Jun 6, 2017 11:19 AM

That’s what you packers get when you come to mn, the state of the mn Vikings.

6. meetadam says: Jun 6, 2017 11:24 AM

@idurenn

Your airport kept him hostage

7. kapmorg says: Jun 6, 2017 11:25 AM

Very nice story. Guess there are still good samaritans in the world!

8. saltineamerican says: Jun 6, 2017 11:33 AM

Great story!!!!

9. 13worldchampioinships says: Jun 6, 2017 11:45 AM

If only someone could have told House that airports have 24 hour car rental services.

10. weepingjebus says: Jun 6, 2017 11:46 AM

Please tell me the vehicle was a truck dressed up like a dog.

11. jacktatumsforearm says: Jun 6, 2017 11:49 AM

idurenn says:
    Jun 6, 2017 11:16 AM
    Cool story, sounds pretty down to earth.

Why is this on the Vikings page though?

—————————————————-

It’s not.

12. vikings2102 says: Jun 6, 2017 12:22 PM

Good job. While I am a Packer hater (Bleed Purple all day), I commend House for being nice enough to take the ride and then sign stuff without being asked to.

I also commend the brothers for trying to turn down the memorabilia and just be genuine nice people to House in a time of need.

Fair warning though, not everybody is like the Johnson Brothers around celebrities (or us non-celebrities too) (even though we all should be (I am)). Be nice, don’t ask for anything in return and just be happy to help.

Kuddo’s to all 3 of them….even if you don’t bleed purple. It is what this world should be doing more of.

13. silvernblacksabbath says: Jun 6, 2017 12:22 PM

That is cool!!!!!!!!!!

14. purpleguy says: Jun 6, 2017 12:28 PM

Didn’t AJ Hawk once take a cab from the Mpls airport to Green Bay?

15. swenny19 says: Jun 6, 2017 12:47 PM

Although he was a bit of a tool in his pro career, it looks like Chad Johnson is a much more humble guy now that he has retired to his home in Northwest Wisconsin. Good stuff 85.

16. pkrlvr says: Jun 6, 2017 12:51 PM

Why is this on the Vikings page though?
    ——-
    To get the trolls riled up….apparently it makes for a more interesting comment section. Didn’t seem to work though. Good story none the less.

17. medialovesthecowboys says: Jun 6, 2017 12:52 PM

We all know the world sucks. I watch football to be distracted and entertained.

More stories like these. Less stories about Kaepernick.

18. flviking says: Jun 6, 2017 12:54 PM

The Johnson brothers are pretty lonely.

19. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 6, 2017 12:58 PM

So he’d rather inconvenience 2 strangers than stand in line to rent a car? Selfish.

20. lovemesomevikewins says: Jun 6, 2017 1:00 PM

Doesn’t Wisconsin have airports? You have OTAs at 8:00am and fly into Mpls at 11:00 pm the night before. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

21. truthbetold109 says: Jun 6, 2017 1:10 PM

Thank God that House was able to get out of Minnesota.
    I can’t blame him for taking a ride from good-hearted Packer fans that he didn’t know just to escape Minny.

I am wondering if the ticket counter person at the airport was wearing their “I’ve been to Duluth” t-shirt?

22. jmuelly says: Jun 6, 2017 1:16 PM

Those suggesting he wait for a car should know that what the story doesn’t say is House also stated on Twitter no cars were available.

23. wafflestomp says: Jun 6, 2017 1:24 PM

lovemesomevikewins says:
    Jun 6, 2017 1:00 PM
    Doesn’t Wisconsin have airports? You have OTAs at 8:00am and fly into Mpls at 11:00 pm the night before. Not the sharpest tool In the shed.
    —————–
    Speaking of tools, you did understand the part of the story that explained how he missed his connecting flight.
    skoLOL!

24. lovemesomevikewins says: Jun 6, 2017 1:37 PM

wafflestomp says:
    Jun 6, 2017 1:24
    skoLOL!

/////////////

I understood him missing connecting flight. Why? Catch an earlier flight. You are making millions a year, take some responsibility. I bartended at the Mpls airport years ago. I saw many people miss their connecting flight because of a Martini. And it’s spelled SKOL

25. pillowflip says: Jun 6, 2017 1:52 PM

This is awesome. New favorite CB, DH!

26. ncheelsboysfan says: Jun 6, 2017 1:56 PM

Way cool story!

27. pkrlvr says: Jun 6, 2017 2:16 PM

——
    Yeah I’m sure they hated every minute of it.

28. spyder9669 says: Jun 6, 2017 3:19 PM

What’s the difference if he makes it on time or not? The pass will still be complete..

29. wafflestomp says: Jun 6, 2017 5:11 PM

lovemesomevikewins says:
    Jun 6, 2017 1:37 PM
    wafflestomp says:
    Jun 6, 2017 1:24
    skoLOL!

/////////////

——————–
    Well, you asked if Wisconsin had airports.
    I was just trying to clear things up as you seemed a bit confused as to why he was in Minneapolis.

I suppose it could be a myriad of reasons why he took such a late flight, obviously it was supposed to arrive earlier.
    Anywho, thanks for your lame response to what really was a fun and lighthearted story.
    And, of course, your bar tending insight to the drunks in Minneapolis.

Oh, and trust me, to every other fan in the NFL, it will always be skoLOL!

30. lovemesomevikewins says: Jun 6, 2017 5:38 PM

wafflestomp says:
    Jun 6, 2017 5:11
    ——————–
    Well, you asked if Wisconsin had airports.

///////////

I really get under your skin don’t I waffle. I have to go now, there is a new article that PFT just posted about AR and how much everyone loves him. This should be fun.

31. cornerblitz says: Jun 6, 2017 6:10 PM

It would be a better story if some Vikings fans dressed like Packer fans picked him up instead and made him get out in the country somewhere.

32. filthymcnasty3 says: Jun 6, 2017 6:59 PM

MSP.

I’ve seen nicer airports in 3rd world countries.

33. artic19 says: Jun 6, 2017 7:27 PM

I would bet that was two refs dressed as packers fans

34. theaveragecharlie says: Jun 6, 2017 7:48 PM

Yet another reason why the Packers fans are the best in the NFL.

35. beerbratscheese says: Jun 7, 2017 7:55 AM

They understood the importance of preventing House from wallowing in that purple stench for too long and got him out of there ASAP.

36. TheVikingsHaveHowManySBTrophys? says: Jun 7, 2017 10:39 AM

Viking fans are jealous. They can only WISH they were as loyal as Packer fans. But they choose to throw insults instead on a feel good story.
    That’s what Viking fans do. A sad situation for sure.