Bob Stoops retiring from Oklahoma

Getty Images

One of the best jobs in college football has just opened up at an unusual time, and the job opening will undoubtedly open some eyes in the NFL.

Bob Stoops is retiring effective immediately, according to the Oklahoman.

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley will take over as head coach, but whether he’s the long-term answer for the Sooners remains to be seen. There will be several current and former NFL coaches who will have interest in the Oklahoma job, especially considering that Stoops was making $6 million a year, more than many NFL head coaches make.

Former 49ers and Eagles coach Chip Kelly’s name will be mentioned in connection with the Oklahoma job and any other big-time college opening, thanks to Kelly’s success at Oregon. Kelly will spend this year as an ESPN analyst but is likely to take a college job next year.

Meanwhile, Stoops is sure to be mentioned in connection with some NFL jobs. Adam Hoge, who covers the Bears for WGN, has already pointed out that Stoops owns two homes in Chicago. If John Fox’s team struggles again this year, Stoops’ name will come up.

For now, the Stoops retirement is a college football story. But it may cause some NFL dominoes to fall in six months.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Bob Stoops retiring from Oklahoma”
  1. niners816 says: Jun 7, 2017 3:37 PM

He caught wind about John Fox being fired after this year or during the season if he can’t turn the Bears around. Stoops is all about Chicago. He literally bought the house right next to his Chicago home for 2.5 mil. I don’t know if he will be the Bears next coach, but that doesn’t sound just like coincidence.

2. boobsmcgoo says: Jun 7, 2017 3:37 PM

Les Miles on line 1…

3. hgl25 says: Jun 7, 2017 3:41 PM

Hire Patty Gasso

4. xlivsaints says: Jun 7, 2017 3:48 PM

No, he quit.

5. xlivsaints says: Jun 7, 2017 3:50 PM

OU does not want or need Leslie Miles.

6. 4thputt says: Jun 7, 2017 4:01 PM

The word out of Norman is health issues (heart problems) . . . more will come out after he addresses his team.

7. navyvandal says: Jun 7, 2017 4:06 PM

Let’s be honest, the last few years has nothing been anything special by OU. The guy might have had a lifetime contract, but he sure as hell wasn’t living up to it. Oh yeah as a mass native living in Chicago, it would be a SMART move to hire Stoops, so the bears won’t do it. Virginia McCaskey must have her yes ma’am coach.

8. skyflyer63 says: Jun 7, 2017 4:10 PM

This smells of a major NCAA violation getting ready to drop… He “might” be getting out before they self report something…

9. patfic5 says: Jun 7, 2017 4:12 PM

Les Miles LOLOLOLOLOLOL

10. averagjoe says: Jun 7, 2017 4:14 PM

Forget about Chip Kelly being on anyone’s short list. The guy produced one good year at Oregon, thanks largely to Mariota’s playing, after which he was a miserably failure at two NFL teams. Jeffrey Lurie (Eagles) is a patient owner, yet he fired him after a couple of years. The 49ers wouldn’t even take a chance on a second year and preferred paying him to sit on his duff than have him on the sidelines.

11. nwofolife says: Jun 7, 2017 4:14 PM

The biggest problem with the job is that you have to call Oklahoma home. That place is a dumpster.

12. inallsincerity says: Jun 7, 2017 4:18 PM

I’m no Sooners fan, but I give props when props are due. I just saw/heard Scott Van Pelt from ESPN say that it’s hard remembering Oklahoma football before Bob Stoops…HA! Bud Wilkinson is probably rolling over in his grave and Barry Switzer just sighed. That’s really unbelievable that SVP would say that at his age.

13. baldbuc says: Jun 7, 2017 4:23 PM

Hire Chip Kelly!

Sincerely,

Longhorn Nation

14. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Jun 7, 2017 4:36 PM

So I guess by reporting this here, we’re acknowledging that top 10 college programs aren’t exactly amateur any more.

15. poison66 says: Jun 7, 2017 4:47 PM

Looks like Oklahoma State is now king of the Big 12

16. wildgig says: Jun 7, 2017 4:56 PM

Da Bears!!!!!

17. mlhigh says: Jun 7, 2017 5:04 PM

Why does anyone need two homes in the same city unless one is a rental?

18. ninerfan81 says: Jun 7, 2017 5:22 PM

Odd timing…my initial thoughts…

A. He’s terribly bored/lost his passion
    B. Family related
    C. Wants to explore other things while he’s healthy
    D. Health
    E. Didn’t want the young OC to take another gig
    F. Exhausted and just purely needs a break

19. ibillwt says: Jun 7, 2017 5:31 PM

Nothing against Stoops but why would any NFL team hire a mediocre college coach? At Oklahoma (or any other big name college football program) at least 80% of your opponents have less a lot less talent. Even Saban failed in the big boy league.

20. bayousooner90 says: Jun 7, 2017 5:43 PM

___________________________________
    Why does this surprise you? He works for ESPN, the only thing he knows about College football is the SEC.

21. THX 138 says: Jun 7, 2017 5:48 PM

He is being asked to resign after his handling of the Joe Mixon incident.

22. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: Jun 7, 2017 6:20 PM

Abrupt retirement is code for Sanctions are coming for Jokelahoma

23. bassmanatl says: Jun 7, 2017 6:46 PM

Well for what it’s worth. I remember an article a while back where they interviewed the top Football coaches and asked if they had a choice who would they have coach their kid. Mark Richt and Bob Stoops were at the top of the list.

24. Iknowitall says: Jun 7, 2017 6:47 PM

4thputt says:
    Jun 7, 2017 4:01 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“After 18 years at the University of Oklahoma, I’ve decided to step down as the head football coach. I understand there has been some speculation about my health. My health was not the deciding factor in this decision and I’ve had no incidents that would prevent me from coaching,” Stoops said in a school release.

So much for the “word out of Norman”. You should triple check your sources

25. sammievee says: Jun 7, 2017 7:24 PM

If he left OU high and dry in month of June his next gig isn’t going to be so easy to land. I’m guessing he knows that well enough and there is a reason for the abrupt retirement.

26. imodan says: Jun 7, 2017 7:44 PM

inallsincerity says:
    Jun 7, 2017 4:18 PM
    ——————————————————————-
    Sorry, I stopped caring after I read ESPN. What a moronic statement from a guy on a moronic network.

27. tbisgod says: Jun 7, 2017 9:22 PM

He’s 56, always said he wouldn’t coach into his 60’s. Dad died at 50 from heart disease. One of the winningest coaches in college all time. Has had enough, has kids, a hot wife and all the $ he needs.
    Makes sense to me. Will not coach again.

28. jjsooner says: Jun 7, 2017 10:30 PM

Thank you for your time at OU coach. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

Lincoln Riley will do a great job.

29. codiablo says: Jun 8, 2017 12:51 AM

but then who takes over for bowles #workingtocreatefactoryofsadness

30. SB8VikingFan says: Jun 8, 2017 3:05 AM

Still can’t believe it! But I managed to get through Barry leaving so know I’ll make it through this also.