Uber driver says “let’s hit the road” when Shareece Wright requested ride

Getty Images

When Uber driver Hadi Abdollahian first heard Shareece Wright wanted to go to Buffalo, he thought the Bills cornerback meant Buffalo Wild Wings. Abdollahian didn’t blink, though, driving Wright the 547 miles from Chicago O’Hare Airport to the Bills’ facility.

I promised him on the phone,” Abdollahian said via Marissa Payne of The Washington Post, “so I said, ‘let’s hit the road.’”

Wright became stranded at the airport Monday night with Bills’ organized team activities scheduled for Tuesday morning. Wright, who signed as a free agent in May, opted for the eight-hour car ride with Abdollahian, and the pair made it to the team facility just before 7 a.m.

Abdollahian, who arrived in the U.S. from Turkey four years ago, told the Post he didn’t know Wright was a football player until Wright told him. The two have become fast friends.

“I loved his company,” Abdollahian said. “We had a great time.”

The fare came to $632.08, and Wright added a $300 tip. Abdollahian didn’t waste any time in getting home, driving straight back to Chicago after dropping off Wright.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Uber driver says “let’s hit the road” when Shareece Wright requested ride”
  1. nfcbeastly says: Jun 7, 2017 5:14 PM

Uber or Bust

2. beavertonsteve says: Jun 7, 2017 5:16 PM

I can’t even get my employees to catch a bus to work if their car is broken down. My first thought would have been to rent a car, but I also don’t make an NFL money.

3. ehsguy72 says: Jun 7, 2017 5:29 PM

Perfect picture, dude couldn’t catch a cold

4. raiderinva says: Jun 7, 2017 5:51 PM

beavertonsteve says:
    Jun 7, 2017 5:16 PM

—————

Sitting at the airport looking at sitting on a plane for 3-4 hours, he may have had a few and thought better of a rental. If so great for him, he stepped up.

5. winningisabrees says: Jun 7, 2017 5:58 PM

Uber Everywhere

Pre-rolls for my ville

6. Eli Pacheco says: Jun 7, 2017 6:03 PM

They should make a made-for-TV movie out of this.

7. genericcommenter says: Jun 7, 2017 6:12 PM

I hope it was worth it to him enough to cover the drive back, though I guess you could say the experience itself had some benefits.

8. theaveragecharlie says: Jun 7, 2017 6:24 PM

If he was good enough to play for the Packers, he wouldn’t have needed Uber.

9. cyberbucs says: Jun 7, 2017 6:30 PM

so he got a$300 tip….16 hours (8 hours each way) comes to $18.75 per hour and 1094 miles non stop since he went straight back home…

10. mitybuc says: Jun 7, 2017 6:46 PM

Small chunk of the original article…

“Meanwhile, BlueRock Energy, a Buffalo Bills sponsor, has offered to match the $932.08 fare Wright paid to Abdollahian to thank him for his service.

Abdollahian gratefully accepted the cash, but said money has not been his greatest reward.

“Honestly, I’m more excited … because of Mr. Wright,” he said. “I’m his friend just for taking him to New York. This is more than enough for me.”

Driver was from Turkey, in the US just 4yrs. Good story, great stuff!

11. realfootballfan says: Jun 7, 2017 7:03 PM

These Uber stories would have been awkward if these guys stuck with the company policy of not tipping drivers, lol. But for a company in disarray these last few months with the leadership problems and the self driving car debacle, this has been very good free publicity the last couple of days.

12. oscargoldman says: Jun 7, 2017 7:32 PM

“If he was good enough to play for the Packers, he wouldn’t have needed Uber.”

If he WERE good enough to play for the Packers.

13. fedora59 says: Jun 7, 2017 7:50 PM

Wow! Way to go the Extra mile.