Bobby Wagner strives to be in realm of Hall of Fame linebackers

Getty Images

Linebacker Bobby Wagner has been a standout player for the Seahawks since being drafted in the second round of the 2012 draft and the 2016 season featured many of his brightest moments.

Wagner was named a first-team All-Pro for the second time in three years after recording 167 tackles, 4.5 sacks and an interception, but saw things he’d like to improve when he reviewed film of his work. Wagner thinks he should have had more sacks given the pressure he got on quarterbacks and he wants to be better in pass coverage when he isn’t rushing the pocket, both of which are things that would help push him closer to his ultimate football goal.

“I like to be consistent so I like to challenge myself with consistency,” Wagner said, via the Seattle Times. “Anybody can do it once. Can you do it again? I feel like I had a lot of good plays last year, but I feel like there’s a lot that I left out there, too. And I feel like I’m still getting better and there’s still room to grow. My goal is to really be a dominant player in this league and have nobody question that. That’s what I strive for. I strive for being great. I watched the guys before me like Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher and all those guys. When all is said and done, I want to be in that area and be in that realm. That’s what I strive for: I strive for being those guys.”

Wagner turns 27 later this month and, health permitting, should have several years to work toward achieving a standing that doesn’t feel all that far-fetched given what he’s done in his first five NFL seasons.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
13 Responses to “Bobby Wagner strives to be in realm of Hall of Fame linebackers”
  1. seabrawk12 says: Jun 8, 2017 8:26 AM

B-Wags is awesome.

2. aj66shanghai says: Jun 8, 2017 8:42 AM

I think every fan wants every guy on their favorite team to strive to be the best. Seems obvious but there are loads of guys out there just playing for the money and coasting on their natural born talent.

As for Wagner’s HOF hopes, he had better win DPOY or get 3-4 more all-pro honors and maybe another super bowl appearance. As talented as he is, he doesn’t make a lot of flashy plays and he plays in Seattle, South Alaska so he’s rarely on people’s minds. He needs to achieve more than those guys he mentioned if he wants in.

3. LoCoSu@%s says: Jun 8, 2017 9:12 AM

Wagner is pretty good no doubt
    To make the HOF he needs to be a game changer, in that Seattle scheme not sure he can do that
    A lot of respect for him regardless.

4. squackduckhawk says: Jun 8, 2017 9:25 AM

I am a big fan of Wagner. DPOY is something that has eluded Seahawks’ players for some reason. I am not trying to sound arrogant here, but with as much talent as there is on our defense, his play gets overlooked because the national attention falls on the legion and whether or not they are playing well. That being said, I agree with the above poster about not having accomplished enough yet to be considered for the Hall. If he stays consistent and healthy, I am confident that he will get there eventually.

5. redlikethepig says: Jun 8, 2017 9:42 AM

How is this sort of egotism not coming from a member of the Eagles?

6. pwebster919 says: Jun 8, 2017 9:59 AM

He’s a great silver medal, hawks fans — But he’ll never be as good as Luke Kuechly

7. thebirdofprey says: Jun 8, 2017 10:01 AM

I met Bobby Wagner just before the Super Bowl win and I gotta say the man was humble and yet built like a superhuman (I almost decided to stop going to the gym).

He and KJ Wright have absolutely been balling the last 3 or 4 years. I wish Seattle would blitz him more offensive lineman can’t handle his burst and he has a knack for getting to the QB and ball carrier.

Luke Keuchly may be slightly better in coverage but I’ll take Wagner’s sideline to sideline and ability to shed blocks.

8. minson15 says: Jun 8, 2017 10:11 AM

Bobby “Michelangelo” Wagner is the captain of the best defense in the league. He is the most consistent player on that defense. He doesn’t miss tackles, can cover receivers and tight ends, and creates havoc on the rush when he blitzes, but yes I agree he needs to do that for about 7-8 more years to be considered with those names. If Bobby could work on his hands (which if you follow the Seahawks he is doing that) he would be considered an all-pro player every year (its always between him and Kuechly who is a beast). Bobby always has the ball right in his hands for pics but unfortunately drops them. That’s usually the difference between him and Luuukke.

9. theimmaculatedeception says: Jun 8, 2017 11:25 AM

There are 65 other league linebackers that have the same exact goal. Wagner plays in football Siberia. Hawks games don;t even get the #2 broadcast teams most times. This plus being above average and not great make him a HOF outlier

10. minson15 says: Jun 8, 2017 12:35 PM

theimmaculatedeception says:
    Jun 8, 2017 11:25 AM

———————-
    Above average and not great? Other than Kuechly who’s better than Wagner….I’m biased and I think Wagner is better than Kuechly but that’s just because he’s on our team. These two are so much better than the rest of the MLBs in the league its not even close. Barr is the closest MLB that I could see but still Wagner is on another level.

11. dmoney253 says: Jun 8, 2017 2:21 PM

kuechly missed six games last year. How is he better? The best ability is availability. One more ding to the dome and Luke’s done.

Also, Luke was the 9th pick overall, Wagner was 47th. Wagner was a way better value.

12. omeimontis says: Jun 8, 2017 4:22 PM

Wagner is not even close to equaling Patrick Willis of the Niners in talent, and Willis may not even make the Hall of Fame because he did not play all that many years.

13. jumboli says: Jun 8, 2017 5:13 PM

The Seahawks have been going backwards ever since their SB loss. They spent way to much money on their defense and QB. Wagner is a solid LB, but in the grand scheme, the team is done due to poor cap management and bloated contracts.