Tyreek Hill to see bigger role on offense, smaller role on special teams

Getty Images

Tyreek Hill burst onto the scene in Kansas City last season as a jack of all trades who was a threat to score as a receiver, running back, punt returner or kickoff returner. This year his role will be a little different.

After the Chiefs cut Jeremy Maclin, Hill is expected to be their No. 1 receiver. But that will come with a diminished role on special teams, according to special teams coordinator Dave Toub.

“We can’t have him on kickoff return,” Toub said of Hill, who returned 14 kickoffs for 384 yards and one touchdown.

Toub said he hopes to keep Hill on punt returns, but head coach Andy Reid will make that decision.

“We’d really like him to be our punt returner. I know Andy has a plan for him and we’ll just follow Andy’s plan,” Toub said.

There’s always a risk when a player coming off a great rookie year gets a new role that you’re changing what made him great as a rookie. But the Chiefs sound confident they know what to do with Hill, who showed last year that he’s one of the most talented playmakers in football.

34 responses to “Tyreek Hill to see bigger role on offense, smaller role on special teams

1. Until the Chiefs appoint someone to take over the role of “clock management” from Reid they aren’t winning anything of note.

Reid’s inability to manage the clock costs his teams on average two to three games a year.

2. Alright Tyreek, we’re going to take something that you are really good at, and not let you do that any more. Also we got rid of our number one receiver so I hope you like being double teamed so we can’t get you the ball on offense either.

3. Didn’t the Chiefs do something similar with Dante Hall forever ago? He was strictly OK as a WR and then seemed to lose what made him great as a returner. I understand the draw of trying to get him the ball more, but will you lose a game changing returner for a decent WR?

4. I dearly love the guy but he’s only one outside linebacker away from being carried off the field and ending his season.

5. D’Anthony Thomas can return punts; he’ll get the lion’s share of ’em, and he will do well. IDK about kickoff returns, but the reality is, Hill is a fulltime Z receiver now, and just like the QB no longer holds for extra-points, the most dangerous receiver doesn’t need to be on kickoff return.

6. chuckxx says:
    Jun 9, 2017 9:39 AM

Brilliant…that can be said of every WR, RB & QB in the league.

7. boltson says:
    Jun 9, 2017 10:36 AM
    Tyreek Hill is a compliment threat. Not a #1 WR.

Bolston, it’s complement with an”e”. (8th grade spelling/vocabulary.) You’re welcome.

8. I understand the Chiefs are high on Tyreek Hill but should they be #1 receiver high? I didn’t see anything last year that would lead me to believe he is capable of being a #1 receiver but we shall see….

9. It was pretty obvious that Hill was going to push Jeremy Maclin out of KC. Everybody knows that when the chips are down, and you need to lose unimpressively in the first round of the playoffs, you need a guy that will punch a pregnant girl in the uterus. Maclin just had too much character to really fit into that locker room.

10. Funny that other players get destroyed for hitting a woman – Joe Mixon…yet this guy got a free pass. All he did was punch his PREGNANT girlfriend in her stomach! The dude is a loser and I hope more linebackers realize what he did this year and lay him out.

11. I see someone talking AR and clock management. Has anyone noticed on Madden 17 AR is trolled hard? The Chiefs always screw up the clock at the half or late in games. Close to the half, in FG range? They let 8-10 seconds roll off the clock before taking time outs and have the clock run out without scoring….

I laugh hard every time.

Anyway, Raiders fan, this guy is an awesome player, a weapon but gadget players on the field full time usually don’t work. I’m still lost at what the Chiefs are going to do, throw it to Kelce 15 times a game and hope for the best?

12. For those comparing Tyreek to Hester and Dante offensively, Tyreek has already eclipsed, in his rookie year, ANYTHING either one of those guys did in their entire careers (offensively). Ty already has half of Hester’s career offensive TDs and 100% of Hall’s…and that’s as a part time offensive player for the first half of the season.

I only hope NFL teams sell him short as much as those on here…but for some reason I think that’s doubtful.

13. hill won’t see double teams as long as travis kelce is on the field, and the extra attention he draws will only help the run game and other receivers. if you think he’s just a gadget player, you haven’t watched him play.

the chiefs gave maclin a big contract because they were desperate for receiving talent two years ago, but reid’s offense has always been more about exploiting matchups than relying too heavily on a single guy, and the rise of hill and kelce meant he was no longer worth 10 million a year.

14. milehighcityboss says:

Considering you are in the “milehighcity,” did you catch the game where he scored three TDs in Denver, including the game-tying TD with 12 seconds left? He looked like the best player in the league on that night.

15. and i’m laughing at the raiders fans laughing at the chiefs, who have swept them two years in a row and beat them 5 out of the last 6 games. the only raiders’ victory was on a rainy thursday night on that patch of dirt they call a field in oakland, days before eric berry was diagnosed with cancer.

but yeah, marshawn is going to change everything.

16. he’s faster than steve smith and bigger and stronger than desean jackson and ty hilton. he’s built like a running back and will have no problem “surviving” as a receiver.

17. milehighcityboss says:
    Jun 9, 2017 11:22 AM

__________________________

He literally beat the broncos by himself, basically. This isn’t Hester 2.0 or a Ted Ginn clone. He’s more like a faster Steve Smith if anything. He’s legit.

18. milehighcityboss says:
    Jun 9, 2017 11:22 AM

__________________________

__________________________

Yeah and in the last chiefs vs Broncos matchup, Hill got all his yards while rushing. On reverses, etc. Doesn’t sound like #1 WR duties to me. That stuff only goes so far.

19. Drunk Uncle says:
    Jun 9, 2017 1:12 PM
    milehighcityboss says:

————————-

Yes I seen that game, the game where he had a total of 52 yards receiving… Your point? But hey if thats the production that you want from your #1 receiver than so be it…