Patriots rings have 283 diamonds

And there it is.

When seeing the box last night containing the new Super Bowl rings to be distributed to the New England Patriots, the jokes emerged about the presence of a 28-3 reference somewhere on the ring. I went with the obvious, low-hanging-fruit suggestion that 28-3 should be etched onto the ring somewhere. The Patriots opted for something more subtle.

Via Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the Patriots have confirmed that each ring has 283 diamonds.

It’s obviously no coincidence. And it’s also not really a slap at the Falcons; they know very well they blew a 28-3 lead. But the Patriots came back from that deficit, so 28-3 is more of a rallying cry for them than a shot fired at the Falcons.

While it may not supplant “do your job,” the comeback from a 28-3 hole late in the third quarter shows what can actually happen when the focus remains on solely and exclusively on getting the job done regardless of the dire nature of any situation. Or something.

95 responses to “Patriots rings have 283 diamonds

1. Not a Pats fan but that was a defensive breakdown of biblical proportions by the Falcons. Felt bad for their owner. He was sure they had that game. Greatest comeback I have ever seen.

2. it should have had 115 on one side to commemorate that stupid naturally occurring ball deflation scandal. You know, the scandal where the footballs were actually at 11.5 PSI

3. What a nice ring for my pats.i remember when the pats was one of the worst teams in the NFL.sometimes I still can’t believe they won 5 Super Bowls.keep it going guys blitz for 6,and F all the pats haters out there.😂

4. Love the BLING OF 283 DIAMONDS, but I don’t think I could handle another game like that!!!
    Let’s just hope the Pats are on to SuperBowl 52 & a 19-0 season!!!
    Go Pats!!!!!

5. Down 28-3 in the 3rd with pathetic trolls everywhere dancing with glee Brady handed Garoppolo his other 4 rings and said “Hold onto these for me, I’ll meet you at the podium.” The rest is history. Living well really is the best revenge.

6. 283 is also the number of infantile lies and salty rants submitted against every Pats article (as opposed to the mere dozen on articles in which the Pats aren’t mentioned). And seeing them warms the heart of every Pats fan, so have it kiddies!

7. Kyle Shanahan deserves a ring for his play-calling blunders of epic proportions in the second half.

8. Team wins a game like that ? It can say or do pretty much anything it wants (and I’d feel the same if someone beat the Patriots that way too). It’s about celebrating effort and resiliency. And like the other Pats fan above who remembers the old days and what they were really like, I’m more amazed and grateful that all this happened to the team I follow than anything else.

9. Each ring has 57 carats, to commemorate the lies told by Fraudger in framegate. Each ring weighs 11.5 ounces, and 4 of the balls are smaller in thanks to Ryan Grigson for giving Brady the ultimate stimulus to never give up in any game for the rest of his career. Oh and each ring is designed to fit the middle finger.

10. Priceless.

The Pats can tell me all day long they figured they could come back and win, but lets get real, nobody really thought it could happen. I figured they could make it close, as the Falcons were obviously tiring out…if the Pats were only down 14pts, no problem in a comeback, but 25!
    So many things had to go right, and like magic, they did…from the strip sack, to poor play calling when all the Falcons had to do was kneel three times and kick a field goal. That would have made it a 2 score game with minutes left…
    Sort of odd how Falcons had the game…I mean after a first quarter draw, they capitalized on Pats mistakes, almost steamrolling them. Then, little by little the Pats started to give Tom a pocket and the defense stayed stout.
    I watch the game, especially last quarter, before bed every couple of weeks…just amazing to watch how they clawed back.

11. guyjuneguyjune says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:25 AM
    Wow! Terrific team, terrific coaching, terrific management. All with INTEGRITY! Hello, Goodell! Hello, Spanos! Hello Kroenke! Hello, Davis!

Rams were stolen from LA and Kroenke brought them back. Why does St Louis not get crap, stole the Cards from Chicago in 1960 and Rams from LA in 1995.

12. RandyinRoxbury says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:26 AM
    What an absolutely beautiful ring!
    Will Dan Quinn get one too?
    ===========================

No he won’t chipster and neither will Adam Gase as long as Belichick is in New England. It’s sad you have to pretend to be a Pats fan to feel good about yourself but that doesn’t keep us from laughing at you.

13. And to think before 2001 none of us Boston folk were into the Patriots at all, we were just angry Red Sox fans dealing with decades of Yankee domination.
    Has this been a great Century so far or what? 🙂

14. Even the Browns wouldn’t have blown a lead that big at that point in the game. Patriots got lucky once again.

None of the Cowboys Super Bowl wins were even close. They were dominant.

15. Where will they put the big diamonds when they win their sixth SB. Poor players will have to settle for smaller diamonds on the next ring.

16. Arthur Blank is still standing on the sidelines in Houston. Forlorn, and waiting for someone to dance with him…

17. This is what I will admit once and will deny hence forth.I had gone to the doctor earlier in the week and was told my blood pressure was trending in the wrong direction .The readings were quite above my normal .
    There was no one in the house besides me and as the
    score got 21-3 I could feel my heart racing not so much in dread but like the nervousness before finals so many decades before .I had been to quite a few NBA finals from Russell to Bird watched the Sox come back from 3-o to the Yankees ,the Madden comment about playing for overtime and the assorted wins and loses of the Pats other Super Bowls but for the first time I couldn’t watch the game .I was more nervous then my wedding day (boy did history prove that to be a disaster bigger than the ball between Buckner’s legs) so I shut the game off .Somehow I fell asleep waking up in time to see the 4 th quarter and overtime by I couldnt do it
    so I said to my self -self I will be either the greatest comeback or just another loss making it 4-3 in the SB count.At 3.30 am I watched the replay of the local news and then turned on the dvr.Yes I missed it and no given they way I felt watching it live I have no regrets .

18. Atlanta’s defense should have gotten a ring as well, considering the 2nd half of the game, and how much they contributed to the victory……

19. bigbadbills says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:20 AM

It shows what happens when the ref’s decide to take the game in their hands.
    __________________________________

When did this happen?

20. I’m not a Pats fan, I think this is their first legitimate Super Bowl win (unless some other form of cheating comes out). But the Falcons choked on the Pats mystique, plain and simple. When the Pats started rallying, the Falcons started doubting. Doubting soon turned in to choking. And not just the players but the coaches too.

21. abninf says:
    Jun 10, 2017 12:12 PM

None of the Cowboys Super Bowl wins were even close. They were dominant.

————

It’s good you have those memories because the Cowboys will ever even sniff another SB appearance as long as JJ is the owner. Firing Jimmy Johnson was as bad as the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth.

22. Now its a scam. Then its the refs. Followed by Atlanta’s collapse.

What happened to tainted rings and cheating?

The Crybabies need to coordinate their crybaby excuses better.

#hatriotnationisextinct

23. streetyson says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:32 AM
    ===================================

weepingjebus says:
    Jun 10, 2017 12:57 PM
    Each diamond was compressed from 10,000 hater tears.
    ====================================

24. mellimac says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:44 AM

——————————-
    Had the Falcons done that and missed the field goal the Monday morning critics would have called that bad play calling for not getting closer.

Had Pete Carroll called a running play and the Patriots stacked in front of Lynch had stopped him the Monday morning critics would have called that bad play calling for doing the obvious over and over and not slipping in a pass attempt to soften the run defense.

Its easy calling the plays on Mondays.

I want to extend my thanks to all the guys grousing and trolling about this. You make the victory taste so much sweeter with that stuff. Please keep it coming.

25. It’s comments like these that are going to make it so much more enjoyable to me when your team inevitably returns to mediocrity. Pats fans please always remember how you’ve acted during your teams run at the top because I promise you it will be thrown back in your face mercilessly when that time comes

1 4

—–

excuse me?

who do you think you are with this
    revisionist history garbage?

for over 10 years now, goodell has been told
    to find ways to frame and cheat the pats to
    keep parity afloat and to get expansion
    overseas while stroking loser owners’ egos
    while slandering and defaming the franchise.

and we’re not supposed to enjoy how it has

who do you think you are with this
    revisionist history garbage?

for over 10 years now, goodell has been told
    to find ways to frame and cheat the pats to
    keep parity afloat and to get expansion
    overseas while stroking loser owners’ egos
    while slandering and defaming the franchise.

and we’re not supposed to enjoy how it has
    backfired so badly?

you have it backwards

you and the people who believe the cheating
    owners and goodell, deserve every last bit
    of this and thensome

cheating my team durig “spygate” was
    not good enough, you got greedy, and now
    you will absolutely pay for as long as necessary

eat it
    ——————————–
    & CHOKE ON IT TOO!!!

27. mlhigh says:

“Are they fake?”

No, Broncos fan, but they secretly paid much more for them than they were allowed to like your hopelessly compromised champions in the late 1990’s.

28. elway knowingly took deferred payments
    as part horse and part man, to cheat the cap
    so his entitled self could try to not be a loser
    for once

29. 283 diamonds? How big is this thing? Could it possibly be any bigger than other recent SB rings, which have grown over the years to roughly the size of Andre the Giant’s fist??

30. I always enjoy the dwindling number of haters from the ‘cheater’ cult trying to bait Pats fans. They may snag one once in awhile. If that makes their sorry lives happy; that’s fantastic. I know many fans, and we’re laughing at you. You’re throwing rocks at a battleship. The Pats have made history for their greatness. We win. You lose.

31. “Not a Pats fan but that was a defensive breakdown of biblical proportions by the Falcons. Felt bad for their owner. He was sure they had that game. Greatest comeback I have ever seen.”

Snidley Whiplash should have stayed in his box.

“Kyle Shanahan deserves a ring for his play-calling blunders of epic proportions in the second half.”

Kyle Shanahan wasn’t the only one who blew it. The defense blew it and so did Matt Ryan. Shanahan’s blunder wouldn’t have seemed so big if the defense had done it’s job and Matt Ryan knew where to throw the ball.

32. spartanlegend says:
    Jun 10, 2017 5:38 PM

—————-
    Dude you got it so wrong, but understood you cant know what its like being a long term winner without having had the experience.

Pats fans won’t cry when its over, times are past that. We have played and won with house money for so long now there is nothing left for us but gratitude. Sure its going to end some day, all things do. But we are sitting here already in awe of how blessed we are for whats happened already. More gravy is nice and we will take it if it comes, but its been nothing but gravy for a long time now. Its not like when it stops we will have been shortchanged or anything.

33. That’s pretty Krafty! Looking forward to what Patriots brass comes up with for next year’s rings. Hail, hail.

34. elway knowingly took deferred payments
    as part horse and part man, to cheat the cap
    so his entitled self could try to not be a loser
    for once______________________

you know this how? Elway didnt cut his checks, he just signed them through his agent. Your tears of jealousy are delicious! This happened 19 years ago and Denver got fined a third round draft choice. Eat it!

35. Anyone outside of the north-eastern seaboard care about this? How many of those diamonds are in the shape of an asterisk? Can’t argue with the facts that America acknowledges…

36. ronniemundsmambo says:
    Jun 10, 2017 7:59 PM

Last paragraph = well put. -NYG fan. [2-0, #cough]
    ————————————————————-
    Giants fans have a bizarrely misplaced view of their stature, and of how they are viewed by Pats fans.

The Giants won their SBs and deserve credit, but since that last one in 2012 time has marched on, they’ve fired their HOF coach and achieved a grand total of squat, while the Patriots have been in the mix every year and won 2 more.

Until the Giants can get back to the dance they are about as relevant at the NY Jets.

37. donkeykickinurface says:
    Jun 10, 2017 10:10 PM

___________________________________

What facts that America acknowledges?

That Goodell/NFL LIED 56 times?
    When the weather changes and it gets cold outside and your tires, (footballs), lose PSI?

Those facts?

38. How could anyone not admire this team, QB, and coach if you watch them enjoy each other so much? Great to see the departed free agents back for a night and they’ll all get together years from now at a reunion of the Greatest Sports Dynasty.

39. Combine the 1980’s Browns debacles with the 1986 Bill Buckner blunder, sprinkle in the Warriors’ collapse last year, and you STILL would not exceed what the Falcons did to the City of Atlanta in Super Bowl 51. There is a great myth out there that Atlanta has no real fans. Baloney! There are far too many transplants here, but still millions of natives who have hung on sincerely through 173 seasons of major pro sports with only one measly championship. Ghost of General Sherman: enough is enough!

40. You don’t come back from 28-3 on one play. It’s about focusing on doing your job on the one play at hand. When that’s done, you focus ahead on doing your job on the next one. You let go of what just happened and move on to the next play. An entire philosophy of focusing on one play at a time, one practice at a time, one game at a time. This is how dynasties are made.

41. donkeykickinurface says:
    Jun 10, 2017 10:10 PM
    Anyone outside of the north-eastern seaboard care about this?

—————-
    Well there is yourself for example.

42. bigbadbills says:
    Jun 10, 2017 11:20 AM
    It shows what happens when the ref’s decide to take the game in their hands.

————

That was a well officiated game. No complaints from anyone after it was over. Replay confirmed the Edelcatch, the PI on Bennett and the TD.

Refs called a fair game.

43. abninf says:
    Jun 10, 2017 12:12 PM

None of the Cowboys Super Bowl wins were even close. They were dominant.

——————–

Score in the Super Bowl is not what make a team dominant. At the time the cowboys won last the NFC won 14 of 15 Super Bowls. The AFC team was a tomato can. The NFC championships were the real Super Bowl in this years. Dallas was definitely dominant though, even in the NFC. However, it was pre-salary cap. That makes a huge difference too.

44. mlhigh says:
    Jun 11, 2017 6:25 AM
    Goodell lied 56 times? Where are the lawsiuts? Certainly his mistruths damaged more than one?

—————-
    They certainly have. The Patriots do not have any monolpoly on getting screwed over by Goodell’s lies and corrupt oractices. Not even close.

45. Bencoates57,

I’m late to this thread, but toroughly enjoyed your reference to Lance Armstrong “falling off Grace”. Who was Grace? Maybe you meant “fall from Grace”. Either way, made my day.

46. bamboozle99 says:
    Jun 10, 2017 4:13 PM

Lance Armstrong had 7 trophies before he fell off grace.
    —-

I think her name was Sheryl.

47. And I thought the number 283 was the number of Bill Belichick wins, lifetime. Which, if you are Don Shula (at 347), could become a concern, what with Shula calling Belichick “Beli-cheat” and all. Because I DO think Belichick, who is only 65 or so, COULD overcome Shula’s lifetime winning record…but can Tom Brady really play another seven years or so?

48. “And it’s also not really a slap at Atlanta” unless it is, right?
    It is straight up trolling by Kraft, Belichik , and anyone else that knew about or talked about it as the rings were being designed.
    Leave the trolling for your fanbase to do on internet sites Robert.

49. stucats says:
    Jun 11, 2017 6:51 PM

one diamond for every time the Pats have cheated since B.B. & T.B. have been together.

————————————————————-
    Those diamonds will last forever.
    Just like:

• The memories of that incredible comeback.
    • The science which will always prove that cold weather lowered the PSI in footballs.
    • The stupidity of those who will claim that someone let air out of footballs.
    • The jealousy of those who are unable to recognize talent and hard work.

50. spinoza3 says:
    Jun 12, 2017 10:53 PM

They do look like Asterisks! However they all will be at the Foxboro pawn shop by the end of the next season…
    —————————————————————
    They look like diamonds!
    But if pretending they are asterisks helps you in dealing with your jealousy then good for you.

They probably should get an asterisk for winning a superbowl in spite of 31 teams trying to cheat them with the help of the league by stealing draft picks and forcing Brady to miss 25% of the season.

The fact that the NFL is still hiding the PSI information from the 2015 season is proof that the NFL cheated the Patriots.

The fact that 31 teams cheated is not a secret to anyone capable of understanding 7th grade science. It’s pretty easy to see that 31 teams cheated when you can watch footballs lose PSI when put in refrigerators in videos posted online.

One video can be found on the popular online video site. Just search for “DEFLATE GATE & WHY SCIENCE SAYS THE PATRIOTS DID NOT TAMPER WITH FOOTBALLS”