Golden Tate: I was hinting at extension in a few years

Getty Images

Lions wide receiver Golden Tate reacted to news of Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman’s contract extension with tweet saying that he hopes to be “one of the next ones to get extended.”

Tate is signed for two more seasons with salaries of $6 million in 2017 and $7 million in 2018 and left no doubt about the fact that he’d like more when asked about his contract at punter Sam Martin’s charity softball game on Saturday. Tate said he does feel that he’s underpaid, but that his tweet about the contract wasn’t designed for an immediate push for a new deal.

“I saw my buddy get extended and that’s obviously the goal,” Tate said, via the Detroit Free Press. “I have this season and next season until I can really think about it, but it wasn’t nothing malicious or me hinting at it. I mean, I’m hinting at it in a few years, of course. But I’d love to stay here. I’m having a lot of fun, we have a great foundation, I love where we’re going but we’ll see. I still got time.”

Tate said he hopes there will be talks about a new deal “if we win games and I do my part.” That would seem to be something close to a must for Tate, as teams rarely open up extension talks with two years left on a deal and tend to move in different directions after bad years.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Golden Tate: I was hinting at extension in a few years”
  1. 400marios says: Jun 11, 2017 8:03 AM

Hinting? Apparently no one got the hint?

Admittedly, as a Packer fan I believe a karma cloud is hanging around from the Fail Mary.

2. nhpats says: Jun 11, 2017 9:30 AM

Try winning something before you expect a payout…..

3. mazenblue says: Jun 11, 2017 9:33 AM

Worth more than $6 million a year? What happen to this oppression??

4. tiller21 says: Jun 11, 2017 10:55 AM

This guy is amazing with the ball in his hands. Never watched him much until he signed with the lions. I’ve seen him juke out, out run, out muscle, and out play defenders for the past 3 years. He plays with an attitude that rarely allows one defender to bring him down. Wish our 240lb first round TE would play like that. Dude can’t break a single DB tackle.

Tate has earned a bigger contract but not sure he will get one when he is 31 and has lost a step. Hard for a 5’9 WR to make plays without being explosive.

5. jackedupboonie says: Jun 11, 2017 11:24 AM

NFL is designed to maximize one player’s earnings. You sign for what you hope is a fair money making contract……and live with it. Unless Detroit is in the rip up current deal and give you more business…..he ain’t getting any.

6. streetyson says: Jun 11, 2017 11:32 AM

Edelman’s deal essentially moves him from an average of $4M/yr to $5M/yr, with $7M guaranteed. Golden is currently on an average of $6M/yr for 5yrs, with $13M guaranteed. Now, in terms of production, Edelman was actually slightly ahead of Tate (1106yds compared to 1077yds), and Edelman is also a Mr Clutch 3rd-down guy and a surehanded returner (though the Pats try to save him from doing it as he’s Brady’s valuable safe option and he’s an emergency quarterback). So if Golden wants a payday relative to that standard, he’d get noticeably less than the $6M he’s already due this season.

7. murphyslaw40 says: Jun 11, 2017 12:07 PM

Golden Tate was paid based on potential, Edelman is being paid based on production.

That said, I don’t think Tate is really that sour about this, he was just making an observation. Tate gets ripped for this, Rodgers gets ripped for being silent. They can’t win.

8. officialgame says: Jun 11, 2017 12:12 PM

Tate has a better chance of being cut or asked to renegotiate his salary.

9. hamlet423 says: Jun 11, 2017 1:33 PM

I hope Tate stays away from Matthew Stafford Wife

10. hawks1124 says: Jun 11, 2017 1:49 PM

One of the Hawks biggest mistakes was trading for Percy, and letting Tate walk. I’m glad he joined the lions.

11. originate421 says: Jun 11, 2017 2:04 PM

If your team has 1 playoff win in 50 years… you would want extra pay for living and playing for the gong show of the NFL. Detriot make CLE look like consumate professionals.

12. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: Jun 11, 2017 4:35 PM

Guys who score 4 TDs shouldnt be worried about extensions

13. seanx40 says: Jun 11, 2017 5:50 PM

Tate will be cut after this season. A short 30 yr old #2 WR? Not worth $2 million. There are dozens of WRs younger and taller coming out of college every year.

14. pierrepoint1 says: Jun 11, 2017 7:19 PM

When Tate starts producing numbers like Edelman, and for a period of years, then maybe he can ask for a raise, but now I’d be worried the Lions will think the $6 million they’re paying him could be better spent somewhere else.

15. senatorblutarsky says: Jun 11, 2017 7:25 PM

400marios says:
    Jun 11, 2017 8:03 AM

Hinting? Apparently no one got the hint?

___________________

Fail Mary? Are you referring to the game where the ref made a bad call on the Lions, extending the game when it should have been over as a Lions victory?

16. nhpats says: Jun 11, 2017 7:31 PM

hamlet423 says:
    Jun 11, 2017 1:33 PM
    I hope Tate stays away from Matthew Stafford Wife

———-

Word has it that he has been seen out with Ciara

17. jeremycrowhurst says: Jun 11, 2017 7:38 PM

Smart move, Goldie. Chase that extension when you’re 30 or 31, rather than right now when you’re in your prime, and the team needs you more than ever.

18. nitzie says: Jun 12, 2017 12:30 AM

————————————
    Obvious facemask was obvious.