Cam Newton not ready to throw at this week’s minicamp

Getty Images

The Panthers were hoping Cam Newton’s surgically repaired shoulder would be healed well enough for him to throw at this week’s minicamp. But that turned out not to be the case.

The team confirmed today that Newton, who is still recovering from surgery on a partially torn rotator cuff, will not throw this week.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he hoped to see Newton throw on the side with head trainer Ryan Vermillion, but the team’s website now says Rivera “got ahead of himself by one week.”

Instead, the Panthers expect Newton to start throwing on June 22, which would be exactly 12 weeks after his surgery. That’s the timeline Newton was put on immediately following the surgery, so he remains on schedule. The Panthers still think Newton will be good to go in training camp.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Cam Newton not ready to throw at this week’s minicamp”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Jun 12, 2017 5:54 PM

Keep Pounding! (That’s what she said.)

2. RandyinRoxbury says: Jun 12, 2017 5:57 PM

He’s also not ready to try to recover fumbles in post season games either.

3. charliecharger says: Jun 12, 2017 6:08 PM

I would love to see a bounce back year from Cam, but I’m not betting on it. I think Cam peaked two years ago. His skills are off the charts, but I think his mental toughness and leadership is way down. Prove me wrong Cam!

4. scmems07 says: Jun 12, 2017 6:13 PM

I wonder if this surgery will improve his 58% career completion percentage.

5. bowenfootdoc2013 says: Jun 12, 2017 6:18 PM

That’s ok, just hand the ball to CM#22 and see what happens.

6. riekki says: Jun 12, 2017 7:38 PM

————————————————-
    So Cameron Newton peaked two years ago with a left tackle (Michael Oher) that no team in the NFL wanted
    and a number one wide receiver named Theodore Ginn Jr.
    As far as mental toughness goes, when Brady and Rogers start getting hit in the pocket like Cam then I’ll have a gauge to judge his mental toughness.

7. daddeeo says: Jun 12, 2017 8:54 PM

He’s done. Look at that pic. No heart for the game.

8. lgbarn says: Jun 12, 2017 9:08 PM

Jameis will have a better season…mark it down

9. jgedgar70 says: Jun 13, 2017 2:46 PM

Not worried about this week. Just hope he’s ready for training camp.

10. ibillwt says: Jun 13, 2017 3:18 PM

Is he well enough to practice falling on loose footballs? At least in playoff games while the score is close.

Brady was down 28-3 late in the game you lazy mutt!!! Did he quit on his team? Panthers can start over at qb because nobody on their team can watch that fumble play without puking in disgust.