Who’s the biggest superstar in football?

Getty Images

Giants receiver Brandon Marshall recently proclaimed that teammate Odell Beckham is the “biggest superstar our game has ever seen in the history of football.” Which is the perfect launching point for a ssslow-time question of the day on PFT Live.

Who is the biggest superstar in football? Not just today, but of all time.

The debate may lead to different opinions about what it means to be a superstar. Some would say that enduring stardom is relevant. Others would focus on intensity of fame and notoriety, no matter how short-lived it may have been.

We’ll take up the issue on Monday’s show, which features a full final hour with a man who has one of the all-time superstar nicknames: Terrance “Pot Roast” Knighton. It gets started on NBC Sports Radio at 6:00 a.m. ET, and then it slides over to NBCSN for the final two hours at 7:00 a.m. ET.

117 responses to “Who’s the biggest superstar in football?

1. Odell Beckham isn’t even the biggest star in the history of the ny Giants, let alone all of football

2. LOL….never thought Brandon was all that smart…. Glad to know I was spot on….

3. My pick is not the best player ever and not the biggest “superstar” in the history of the game. Just the best all around player and the best role model for young and old alike.

Walter Payton.

4. Being one of the best or the best at your position doesn’t make you a superstar. It helps but it likely doesn’t.

Just by the nature of the position QBs are going to dominate any list of superstars. It’s hard to imagine bigger football superstars than Joe Namath, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady

5. This is a tough one. I’d have to say a tie between Jim Brown and Brett Favre, but for different reasons. Jim Brown because he was the best player in the league his entire career, and Brett Favre due to his multiple MVP’s, likeable personality, and polarization with the fans towards the end of it.

6. Well, that makes perfect sense. Two of the most self-absorbed egomaniacs in the sport today, busy pumping each other up.

7. It’s Brady. He’s lead his team to 7 Super Bowl appearances, and 11 (not a typo) AFC Chanpionship Game appearances, so he is ALWAYS relevant, he had an undefeated regular season while throwing 50 TD’s, lead his team to a record breaking 21 game winning streak, he’s married to a supermodel and one of the most famous women in the world, he has the look of a GQ model himself, he’s hosted SNL, he’s a personal friend of the, ahem, POTUS, there really isn’t anyone close. If you were going to sell your soul to live a certain life while on earth, how could you do better than being Tom Brady?

8. It’s not a clown that goes on vacation before playoffs! Or misses OTA’s for no reason.
    The greatest superstar is the “GOAT”!!
    #28-3 #runonfirstandgoal

9. 1. Peyton Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Mike Vick( 2 $100 mill contracts)
    4. Deion Sanders
    5. Terrell Owens

10. Biggest superstar rules out any player from the pre-Super Bowl era because the game wasn’t as big. And before the 1980s the game didn’t have a big international following.

You also need to be careful of guys with higher profiles simply because they sold their souls to the media or ads. And instead concentrate on the true meaning of sports superstar – the biggest ever crowd-puller (stadium and TV) in the game – and remember the game has a worldwide following these days, far beyond your town and our country.

Although there are 50 huge names (like Peyton, Lawrence Taylor, Deion etc) all arguably in the top 10, the top 3 are Brady, Rice & Montana. Brady created separation from the leading pack with his 5th ring. And leading his team to the playoffs in 14 out of 15 complete seasons as starter – all as Division winner, 11 AFCCG appearances and the higher international stardom that 11 deep playoff runs generate. And he’s still monstering jersey sales (#1 going Feb-Feb this year) despite wearing the very same jersey for 17 years.

11. Right now I’d say TB12.

But this question is for all time and it has to be Deion Sanders right? Has there ever been a bigger superstar in sports than him?

12. “No argument that it’s Joe Namath who changed pro football and launched media mania! Even players asked for his autograph!”

Remember when Suzy Kolber was trying to seduce Namath on the sidelines?

13. It’s Brady obviously,but I think Bo Jackson should get a mention too.After all,Bo knows…..

14. Brady
    Montana
    Rice
    Sanders
    These are Superstars.

Odella is a diva much the same as T.O. There is a difference. Its not just stats and exposure, it how you carry yourself too.

15. “We’ll take up the issue on Monday’s show, which features a full final hour with a man who has one of the all-time superstar nicknames: Terrance “Pot Roast” Knighton.”

Well done,Pot Roast will make a rare appearance on this medium.

16. Brady… he’s as close to an international Super Star as an NFL player has ever been. Married to the most famous model in the world. No other NFL player in history has had the same kind following outside of the NFL fan base and internationally.

Then I would say Jim Brown, Bo Jackson….and let’s not forget OJ.

17. In my lifetime, I’d say Favre. Brady for the most part shared the spotlight with Manning and even Belicheck. Spotlight sharing was at a minimum during Brett’s hayday. He was in his prime for a 3-5 year stretch where he was a SINGULAR focus of the NFL and media. Other great teams and era’s usually had an ensemble of stars. LT and Parcells, Montana and Rice, Steel curtain, Dallas vs SF. Holmgren is not in the same galaxy as Parcells in terms of stardom. The media were constantly using knee pads in covering Brett Favre during that time the likes which I have never seen before or since. Stardom is a media thing.

18. nighttrainnecktie says:
    Jun 12, 2017 7:43 AM
    1. Peyton Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Mike Vick( 2 $100 mill contracts)
    4. Deion Sanders
    5. Terrell Owens

—————–

Peyton and Brady are fairly equivalent in the US but worldwide Brady had him beat in a landslide. Manning is pitching Buicks and Brady is pitching Aston Martins. Their worldwide stature isn’t in the same ballpark.

19. Its Brady hands down if you are just counting active players. If you are counting all time he has some competition. (But not Namath, come on)

Jim Brown, Walter Peyton, Sanders, Montana are all arguable. Probably a few more I am just typing quick.

If you are just going by pure notoriety itself then you tally up OJ’s fame as a football player with his fame that came after and that adds up to a lot.

20. 6thsense10 says:
    Jun 12, 2017 7:11 AM

———-

Joe Nameth? Worst stats of any player in the HOF. He doesn’t even belong in the top 100 QB list

21. To be a superstar, you need to be relevant for a long time after your playing days are over. Jim Brown is the biggest superstar to date. He is still in movies 50 years after he stopped playing.

22. #1 is obvious but you can make a good debate about #2
    In the 70′ s Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw shared the spotlight in the 80’s Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice kind of shared that too, it wasn’t a clear winner either, in the 90’s Deion Sanders and Troy Aikman dominated as well as John Elway and Bret Favre.
    Recently Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson and JJ Watt, it’s hard to say who’s #2 I’d say Deion Sanders for

23. Right now you would have to say it is Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

The Media will try and put Dak Prescott on that level this year though.

Odell is up there, but there are three or four other WRs that are at least his equal and you can make a case for Julio Jones and Antonio Brown being better.

Odell is a star though, not the biggest, but he is one.

24. Namath, and I was never a fan of his.

He was a mediocre QB but by far the biggest personality.

25. 12coltsfan12 says:
    Jun 12, 2017 6:54 AM

TB12 in a landslide
    ____________________

Is that like R2D2? Or are you attempting to create something that isn’t there?

26. nhpats if this were a list of top 100 QBs you would be right but the question being posed is who are the biggest SUPERSTARS in NFL history……and there is no doubt that Namath was one of the biggest superstar in NFL history and during his playing days I don’t think anyone was bigger in the NFL. Just from his playing days in Alabama with Bear Bryant Namath was already a household name then he signs a rookie contract to play in the biggest market that also made him the highest paid player in the league. He had commercials, I believe had a night club, talk show, etc… Even people that didn’t follow football knew who Montana was.

27. Showing my age. Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown. Jim Brown was said to not wear hip pads. Brown set a lot of records that stood a long time. And those records were for 12 game seasons. Tom Brady is the best player by far playing today. No contest. And I’m 72 and still wear jerseys. Am I too old. Still smiling.

28. Maybe Marshall should have read PFT last week to learn that his all time super star can’t even crack the top five in jersey sales at the peak of his game.

29. Shame that hardly anybody considers defense in the conversation… until Super Bowl time. Taylor.. Butkus.. Reggie White.. Lipscomb.. Night Train.. etc,etc,etc. Come on people, there is more to football than offense.

30. Brady, or anyone else on the cheatin Pats, shouldnt be allowed on the list.
    It would be like naming Lance Armsrong the biggest superstar in cycling.
    Or the Barry Bonds biggest superstar in baseball.
    Just because brady won 1 ring without cheating doesnt make him a superstar.
    Once a cheat, always a cheat.

31. Anyone before the time of social media is out. I don’t see how it’s not Brady or Manning. Both of their faces are on everything. It’s probably Brady though due to being married to a world famous super model.

32. I coach youth football and I can tell you the majority of the youths LOVE Beckham. They are not fans of the Giants in most cases(Pitt, Dallas, NE, Miami etc) .. BUT THEY LOVE HIM.

Adults, not so much including myself as a Giants Fan. I love him as a talented player but I cant stand some of the things he does.

33. Depends on what exactly you mean by Superstar.

A superstar can shine bright but burn out fast. we’ve seen plenty of those.

Or does a true Superstar play a long career, pile up championships, set records, come back from the brink at the perfect moment, marry an international “superstar” and donate “liberally” to worthy causes?

Is it about popularity? Marketability? Or is it something else?

34. The headline is “Who’s the Biggest Superstar in Football”

Who’s is a contraction for Who is. Who IS the biggest superstar in football. Not who WAS the biggest superstar in football.

35. If it weren’t for modern stick-um gloves would anyone know who Odell Beckham even is?

36. I will agree that Tom Brady is the best QB of all time and that the answer should be Tom Brady, and yet somehow… it isn’t. Tom Brady just doesn’t feel like a superstar to me. Not the way LeBron is or the way Tiger Woods and Jordan were.

It might be my age, but I do feel like Walter Payton is the best answer I’ve seen. On the cover of Wheaties and all that. People in hindsight forget how big Payton was for a while. Sweetness hurdling over the defense into the endzone used to be iconic. I don’t feel like anyone else really had that impact into the pop culture.

Joe Montana and Jim Brown seem like possibilities. But honestly, I don’t know. The NFL may have never had a true superstar. Maybe the nature of the game.

As a hardcore football fan though, yeah, I would go with Tom Brady. I just don’t feel like he’s that big of a deal outside of football though.

37. Brady’s latest Superbowl win is going to be looked back on as the stuff of legends. I think it puts him into another realm now and my guess is he is recognized internationally close to the level of Michael Jordan. Previously you could have made an argument for Montana, Manning and Farve, but they never got to this level.

When you adjust for a smaller world and media, maybe Namath was bigger. I’m 61 and from the New York area. First, Namath ownwd NYC the way Babe Ruth did. He had his own talk show with big time guests. He was one of the most sought after guests and interviews. He beat a badass Baltimore Colt team in Superbowl 3 that wiped the smirk off the NFL’s collective faces. I think he was a big cog in the change of the NFL to a passing league. Then there were the clothes. Now athlete had ever dressed as outrageously as him. He set the bar for athletes style and you know why, one word……BABES. He was a babe machine. He pulled it off because he got babes. Brady may have married a supermodel but Namath went through supermodel calibre women like they were disposable. The guy didn’t get married until he was 41. Why? He was a babe genius, almost as famous for that as football. Why wouldn’t he wait till he was 41. Then there was TV and movies. A lot of TV and movies. He guest hosted the Tonight show for Carson. Look up his TV and movie credits. Oh yeh, the biggest salary ever for a football player at that time. He set the bar. It’s 50 years ago now and now people just look at his stats and say he shouldn’t even be in the Hall, but it was a different game and he trancended the stats. Jow Namath was the 1st modern athlete.

38. Otto Graham, Otto Graham, Otto Graham,
    Why is it that Otto keeps coming up? You Old Testament guys kill me. I’m over 60 and I get that those guys I loved in the 50’s & 60’s even 70’s are not on the same level as today’s players. Sure, you may be able to cherry pick a couple of guys that if they had been born 25 years ago my be today’s greatest but that’s not how reality works. Athlete’s today are bigger, stronger and faster across the board. Otherwise we’d still have 4 minute miles and 100 yard dash times that would give today’s athletes time to pose for a picture while waiting for all those lumbering 50’s, 60′ and probably 70’s guys to finish.

39. Joe Namath? 173 td’s 220 interceptions career…not even in the top ten QB’s of all time, self promoter extraordinaire…

40. It’s very hard to argue against Brady as the answer to this question. So I’m not going to. Instead, I’ll simply state my own personal choice, which is Jerry The GOAT Rice.

Yup. Not even a QB or a pass rusher. A WR. Jerry Rice.

41. Red Grange, Benny Friedman, Sammy Baugh, Don Hutson, Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or a host of more recent players – any of these guys could be picked as a bigger superstar than OBJ.

42. The hate is REAL. You all know who Beckham is, the world knows who Beckham is. His fame goes beyond rockstar status. He almost has Mike J. Fame. It’s been 3 years on the scene and he draws crowds larger than any NFL player…. In multiple country’s. There is no one under 15 that doesn’t know who Beckham is. All you old hatting football fans need to sit down and continue getting old.

43. Does the biggest star in football disappear in the playoffs?
    ——————————–
    Enough said. Enough with listing manning in any conversation with Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, and Starr.

44. johnnnyschatzan says:
    Jun 12, 2017 8:47 AM
    Not Brady

—————

The funny thing is that your comment actually is a vote for Brady. It means he’s the only guy that comes to mind, and you hate it.

45. It is a question of what you are looking for:

1. Bo Jackson’s star burned the brightest, but for a short time. “Bo knows” was the center of the public pop culture at the time. It doesn’t hurt that he was truly dominant in real life and in Tecmo Bowl.

2. Peyton Manning’s commercial career probably helped him transcend football into general public consciousness in a way other star players have not.

3. Tom Brady and Joe Montana are very similar. Their star power is based primarily upon success on the field. Both great champions. But I pull the “my wife” test. Could my wife pick these guys out of a lineup when she doesn’t give two poops about football. Probably yes with Brady (given that he shows up in People Magazine), definitely no with Montana.

46. heat1up says:
    Jun 12, 2017 11:33 AM

———–

Beckham may very well be the biggest sports superstar ever in the world. Ronaldo is giving him a run though, but his lack of charisma is a problem. No NFL player can get to that level. It’s not a global sport. Brady is as close as a guy can get though.

47. ringheadcrusher says:
    Jun 12, 2017 11:17 AM
    Yup. Not even a QB or a pass rusher. A WR. Jerry Rice.

———-

Great answer if you stick to NFL fans as the audience for sure.

48. 00otto says:
    Jun 12, 2017 9:23 AM
    I will go with Joe Nameth….honorable mention OJ and Brady

————–

I didn’t think about Namath, but he certainly deserves consideration. For a short time he was the biggest Super Star the game has ever seen. Plus in NY which is a global city. I would argue that the rest of the world didn’t care, but at the time I don’t think that mattered because NYC was the center of the universe.

49. jim699 says:
    Jun 12, 2017 10:08 AM

——————

50. marty2020 says:
    Jun 12, 2017 10:03 AM
    The headline is “Who’s the Biggest Superstar in Football”

—————-

That’s what the headline says. But the article says:

“Who is the biggest superstar in football? Not just today, but of all time.”

We all read the article, hence our comments.

51. I prefer my Crush to be Orange says:
    Jun 12, 2017 10:06 AM

———–

OBJ hasn’t even done anything yet except one incredible, amazing but totally meaningless catch.

That’s the height of his powers.

He’s certainly not the biggest super star on his team. That’s Eli.

He’s a viral video at best. Not a Super Star.

52. TheodoreBabyHandsBustAqua says:
    Jun 12, 2017 7:21 AM

———-

Favre… that’s a good one. He’s certainly up there. I would put him ahead of anyone but Brady, Jim Brown and OJ and Namath.

53. All time biggest superstars: Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Roger Staubach, Walter Payton, Joe Montana, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning.

Today’s biggest superstars: Tom Brady, Gronk, Beastmode, Aaron Rodgers.

54. Brady is the 2nd most infamous football player because of all the scandals over the years. The biggest superstar has to be Jim Brown or Namath.

55. “johnnnyschatzan says:

Jun 12, 2017 8:47 AM

Not Brady”

Brady is so far ahead at this point that he is even gets mentioned as a non-answer.

haha/

56. Brady is at a different level of Super Star. He’s at the Federer, Jeter level. If you asked a 100 non-NFL fans who Walter Payton was I would think that most would not know. They would all know Tom Brady and probably Jim Brown and Joe Namath. Definitely OJ, and they probably would have known OJ even before he became infamous.

———————————————————-

This is recency bias though. 35 years ago everyone knew who Walter Payton was. He’s not Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan though. He’s not remembered by non-NFL fans 35 years later. I doubt Tom Brady will be either. I doubt Jeter will be either for that matter. Just because OJ was in a couple of movies doesn’t mean he was headed for that status either. I’m old enough to remember OJ before those murders. He was famous, but he wasn’t that big of a deal. He was in a car commercial and Naked Gun movies and was like a bunch of other ex-athletes a sideline reporter…

The right answer might be Joe Namath though. No one really likes it though, because he wasn’t actually good enough at the sport to really be a draw. He was famous, but he wasn’t good.

57. Without question or debate, hands down… Doesn’t it HAVE to be… (drumroll please)…

Eli Manning?

Why? Isn’t that absurd? Of course it is. However, for every GOAT Tom Brady post, wouldn’t you have to admit that the guy who not once, but TWICE owned Brady in the Superbowl – including the perfect regular season run – would need to be ranked higher?

I mean, sure, Brady has more rings. But all that tells us is that he didn’t play Eli those times.

58. Of all time? Hard to say. Probably OJ Simpson or Bo Jackson maybe. William the Fridge Perry. Mean Jo Green.

Currently? Tom Brady and it’s not even close.

59. The problem is football super stars are not on par with universally known people like Ali, Woods, Jordan, so the ‘superstar’ status is really a USA thing. When I think superstar I think about somebody with the stats and the rings but also somebody who commands the room with their presence when they enter. Even as a Pats fan I don’t think Brady fills that bill, locally yes but not in Podunk. Guys like Brown, Taylor, Montana, come the closest but even at that superstardom in the NFL is seasonal at best.

60. Fun question, easy answer:

Tom Brady

All time though, the list itself is short. Few NFL players have been truly immortalized as household names by the mass media:

O.J. Simpson
    Peyton Manning
    Joe Montana
    Jerry Rice
    Joe Namath
    Terry Bradshaw
    Jim Brown

61. Humm…Let’s see. Here’s an accurate list:

1) Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Junior
    2) TB12
    3) (As someone posted) The kid with 5 Rings
    4) The greatest player drafted 199th
    5) Player with the most beautiful wife (Except mine)

Certainly not the player who proposed to a kicking net!!

Discuss.

62. Let’s have a real discussion. Who’s the second biggest superstar in the NFL? Number one was locked up by Mr. Brady long ago. BTW, picking the second is a challenge.

63. Jim Brown is the greatest/most revered player of all time. Just ask his fellow Hall of Famers. When he walks in to the room, all others go silent. Much like Jordan.

But was/is he the greatest superstar? That might have to fall to Joe Namath, oddly enough.

64. Namath was the biggest superstar. His star shone more brightly than anyone before or since, if only for a brief time. You had to be there.
    Best player? I’d lean toward Jim Brown, but I can’t argue with some of the other suggestions. However, any list of the top five that doesn’t include Brown is a weak list. Brown gets left off of such lists because the game has gotten so much better, and so many of today’s fans never saw him play.
    But if we discount the players of yesteryear because the sport has grown past them, we must also discard athletes like Jim Thorpe and Jesse Owens.

65. The question was not “best player.” It was “biggest superstar.” They are very different. I don’t think Brady is the biggest superstar by any measure, and I think that’s of his own design, and I also think it’s why he has been so good for so long, and why the Pats’ fans love him. Huge superstars are usually pre-occupied with superstardom, and eventually they become distractions. Terrell Owens is a textbook example of this. Brady, like Manning and Rodgers and lots of other great QBs, mostly just wants to keep his head down and win. I think greatness and superstardom are very different (although there is certainly some overlap). So he isn’t in the media creating a circus around himself.

Deion Sanders is the name that first jumped to mind for me. To be a cornerback and command the attention and excitement that he did is mind-boggling. He was the first football player I can think of that really had his own “brand.” He had the marketing and the larger-than-life persona and the ego and flash to make it seem natural.

It’s not a question of skill. Ed Reed, for example, was not a superstar. He was on par with Deion as a football player, but he was not a superstar simply because he did not seek the spotlight. That’s the difference.

66. It’s Brown. And just to clear it up for some of you millennials, that’s Jim Brown, not Antonio Brown.

67. Tom Brady is now the biggest super star and not only that, the greatest quarterback in NFL history as well might I add. He’s in the back of every football fan’s mind whether it’s to hate him or love him. People like watching him play whether its to see him lose or to see him win.

He’s married to a supermodel, has won five super bowl championships after appearing in seven of them, has appeared on the cover of GQ Magazine, Sports Illustrated, is now on the cover of Madden, and is the most recognized football player to foreigners. Wake up everyone.

68. Tom Brady doesn’t embrace stardom, so he isn’t remotely the biggest superstar. He doesn’t appear in cameos on popular network shows. He doesn’t have advertisements on every ad break during the season, and doesn’t have any ads on in the off-season. Peyton Manning embraces stardom, he’s on TV more than Brady even though he’s retired and not even an analyst.

Hard to quantify but I’d base it on polymedia ubiquity and how many out-of-market jerseys I see. Currently, the king according to that formula would be JJ Watt.

69. When you think of football, you typically think of the quarterback because he is the leader of the team. When it comes to pure stardom for qb’s, it’d have to be Brady, Montana, Elway/Favre in that order