Adrian Peterson ready to prove he is a catch

AP

Adrian Peterson insists he’s a better receiver than the numbers suggest. In his 10 seasons in Minnesota, the running back averaged only two catches and 15.8 yards per game.

It’s always funny to me because I’ve been playing this game since I was 7, and a lot of people say, ‘Well, he can’t catch the ball,'” Peterson said, Josh Katzenstein of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I’ve been playing since I was 7 years old. I can catch a football.”

Peterson said he wasn’t a better receiver with the Vikings because that wasn’t something they asked of him. But his two most productive seasons as a receiver came with Brett Favre at quarterback. Peterson had 43 catches for 436 yards in 2009 and 36 catches for 341 yards in 2010.

Peterson played with 12 other less-than-elite quarterbacks in Minnesota, including Gus Frerotte, Tarvaris Jackson, Brad Johnson, Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel and Josh Freeman. Now, Peterson has Drew Brees with him in the backfield.

“It’s all about having a guy that’s going to get the ball to you, and without a doubt I know (Drew) Brees is going to,” Peterson said. “We’ll be doing that.”

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Adrian Peterson ready to prove he is a catch”
  1. originate421 says: Jun 13, 2017 10:05 PM

how many seasons have we heard “I’m going to work on catching, I’m going to work on pass blocking, I’m going to take care of the ball, I’m going to work on being more system versatile”… 10 years in to the NFL and I think his cake is thoroughly baked.

2. vottorific says: Jun 13, 2017 10:16 PM

Smart guy.

3. lenthevikesfan says: Jun 13, 2017 10:41 PM

I’ll be wearing my Vikings Jersey on opening day but it will also be my Peterson jersey. I wish him nothing but success in New Orleans.

4. hukdeep says: Jun 13, 2017 10:48 PM

WHO DAT!!

5. orndorf2 says: Jun 13, 2017 11:04 PM

Saints picked up Adrian for chicken feed. This will be the acquisition of the off-season. Everyone is underestimating AP….he’s gonna beast this year.

6. biggs13 says: Jun 13, 2017 11:08 PM

Can he play defense? Because that’s what the Saints need.

7. truckenlauten says: Jun 13, 2017 11:17 PM

I am so sick of hearing about this child beater. He should be out of the NFL just like the woman beater Rice of the Ravens. It took some team like the lousy Saints to sign him.

8. deeckon says: Jun 13, 2017 11:35 PM

That’s right AP much love to you bro

9. xlivsaints says: Jun 13, 2017 11:38 PM

Black and Gold Jesus catches the pass from Breesus Christ! SAINTS!! ⚜️

10. captainwhodat says: Jun 13, 2017 11:55 PM

Can’t teach an old dog new tricks…

11. vikefan284296 says: Jun 14, 2017 12:13 AM

I’m just waiting for him to declare another 2,500 yard season.

12. In Teddy We Trust says: Jun 14, 2017 12:49 AM

Of course he can catch the ball. It’s just that he looks like someone fighting off a swarm of bees when he does it.

13. joeybrownerguy says: Jun 14, 2017 3:00 AM

I watched every snap Adrian played for the Vikes and he is one of the most spectacular RBs to ever play the game, but he has always struggled catching the ball. BTW, I don’t think it’s fair to lump Brad Johnson in with that group of mostly stiffs. Though Johnson was not “elite”, he was a good/very good NFL QB for many years. Among all QBs to ever play in the NFL, Brad ranks in the top 50 in completions, yards and passer rating and he’s tied for 66 in passing TD.

14. iberiasaint says: Jun 14, 2017 6:20 AM

Only the Viking could could not recognize the total package that is AP. Will have a monster season for NOLA.

15. Indybear says: Jun 14, 2017 7:02 AM

“I’ve been playing since I was 7 years old. I can catch a football.”

The other part of the equation is holding on to the caught ball, which he is obviously still learning.

16. ubb44 says: Jun 14, 2017 7:40 AM

In Minnesota he was asked to not fumble at the most crucial times of the game. He didn’t listen.

17. eljefedelmundo says: Jun 14, 2017 8:35 AM

If this works it’s gonna be genius

18. iejdaniel says: Jun 14, 2017 8:44 AM

Enough with the AP stories already. He is what he is, an old 2 down back that has lost a step. Can we have the next story on him be written after he runs for 1,000 yards in a season. In other words, never again?

And I have his jersey hanging here in my closet. Father Time waits for no one.

19. winningisabrees says: Jun 14, 2017 9:00 AM

Breeze thro ball I catch ball coach.

20. trun0rth says: Jun 14, 2017 9:11 AM

As a Vikings fan I will tell you that he can catch, he just can’t catch while running. And he cannot play effectively out of shotgun in any capacity. His pass protection is also weak, but there is some hope that with a ton of effort and a different system he might make strides in that area.

On the other hand, when Brees is under center and you’re going to hand it off, he’s as good as it gets. And NO’s power run style suits him perfectly.

If your OL is good enough to fully pass protect w/o RB help, while running play action……………..your O will be the bomb on 1st and 2nd down.

21. whatjusthapped says: Jun 14, 2017 9:23 AM

Gus Frerotte, Tarvaris Jackson, Brad Johnson, Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel and Josh Freeman, now that’s a murder’s row of NFL QB’s.

If you wonder how it is that the Vikings have only won a single playoff game in the last decade (they had to borrow a broken down BrINT Favre to even do that), just look at the QB’s. Not that Teddy Tinyhands or Check down Sammy is the answer either, its just the Viking fans that think so.

22. eazeback says: Jun 14, 2017 9:29 AM

if that O-line doesn’t improve it will be another lack luster yr for AD and another yr missing the playoffs as a team

23. absolutevisuals says: Jun 14, 2017 9:51 AM

“Can we have the next story on him be written after he runs for 1,000 yards in a season. In other words, never again?”

Don’t underestimate him, people thought the same to LT and he proved he could still ball on the Jets. He didn’t even need to retire, more than enough gas in the tank.

Peterson only played 1 1/4 games basically, behind a terrible o-line, where the teams absolute knew that the vikes were going to run it with him as Shaun Hill is steady but not a deep threat at all.

24. Frazier28/7 says: Jun 14, 2017 10:17 AM

once he got the ball, yeah not too many better.

It was much easier to hand off, and even then it became a challenge not to drop. just not a good receiver

25. filthymcnasty3 says: Jun 14, 2017 10:25 AM

I have high hopes for Peterson. He’s finally getting decent coaching from a competent staff.

I also expect his character issues are behind him, along with that toxic environment so many of their ex players talk about in MN.

26. boisestatewhodat says: Jun 14, 2017 10:31 AM

Week 1:

Saints 49
    Vikings 20

27. Mize says: Jun 14, 2017 10:39 AM

Josh Freeman? Wow, he played one absolutely pathetic game and then reverted to 3rd string, followed by a trip to Canada.

Not sure I’d cite him as a QB that AD played with.

Brock Lesnar was a better Viking.

28. truthbetold109 says: Jun 14, 2017 10:59 AM

He finally has a decent QB throwing him the ball so he will get his chance to find out. His running game should improve though, the vikings offensive line would get pushed around by the school sisters of the poor.

29. blowfishes says: Jun 14, 2017 11:28 AM

Gotta be on the field to be able to catch the ball, and unfortunately Peterson’s pass protection weakness has meant he’s hardly been in on 3rd downs.

I have also been watching some of those Brett Favre games recently and saw plenty of dropped passes by Peterson where he’s been looking up field before securing the ball. He’s only useful on shot swing passes where a 3rd down back needs to be able to go over the middle too.

30. mnvikes1961 says: Jun 14, 2017 5:20 PM

C’mon Saints fans- you of all people should know how Peterson’s butter-fingers can cost his team a game. Did you not see Mr. Fumblitis in the 2009 NFC Championship game? It was vs. the Saints- I’m sure you where watching.