Julian Edelman “happy to be a Patriot”

Getty Images

The Patriots signed Julian Edelman through 2019, and he will turn 34 a few months after the contract expires. Reporters asked the receiver Tuesday if he, like Tom Brady, expected to play for many more years in New England.

“I’m happy to be a Patriot,” Edelman said, via quotes distributed by the team. “I’m a Pat, but I’m just worried about this year. As lame as it sounds, and as much as you guys hear it, it’s really a mentality where you just keep it day-to-day. When you can do that, that’s usually when you stay focused and you improve the most. That’s how I’m going to try to take this.”

Only seven of 47 players drafted in the seventh round of the 2009 draft remain in the NFL, according to Kevin Duffy of MassLive. Edelman, with 425 catches for 4,540 yards and 24 touchdowns, is the most successful of the group.

Edelman’s contract extension, which he signed last week, allows for him to earn up to $19 million over the next three years. Some argue he is underpaid, but Edelman wanted to remain with the Patriots. If he plays out the contract, Edelman will have spent more than a decade in New England.

“I’m just worried about this year, so you can’t think too far ahead,” Edelman said when asked if that was important to him. “That’s what I’ve learned in this profession over my years. So I’m just worried about the next day, and the next day is going out and trying to improve and getting ready for this 2017 season.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Julian Edelman “happy to be a Patriot””
  1. weepingjebus says: Jun 13, 2017 3:02 PM

Nice work so far, champ. Go the distance.

2. irsaysneedle says: Jun 13, 2017 3:09 PM

CHAMPION

3. fjw2 says: Jun 13, 2017 3:19 PM

There is no I in TEAM. Jules gets it.

4. TB12#BLITZFOR6 says: Jun 13, 2017 3:23 PM

Glad hes a wr on my team…….yes Im a fan who talks like Im on the team………deal with it…My wife has………

5. losingisnotanoption says: Jun 13, 2017 3:28 PM

Second best player on the team and the only player other than Brady that I would buy a jersey with his name on the back.

6. It should read"the triumphant return of Lemmy Akyadis" says: Jun 13, 2017 3:31 PM

Toughest player in the league. His energy is contagious. I credit him more than anyone (sorry Malcolm) else for the Seattle win. Watching Kam & Dick wiff on tackles or hit him flat out and then watch him keep running while they were on the ground watching the birdies, priceless. If not for his play, Butler never gets the chance to pick Wilson.

And then there was ‘THE catch”. No one, not Tyree, not Manningham, or Rice, or Taylor or Kearse or anyone ever made a catch like that with 3, that’s THREE guys on him, one of which had his leg between Jule’s arm and the ball.

THAT my friends is a beast.

7. bemylovetractor says: Jun 13, 2017 3:34 PM

Soft. He doesn’t care about being paid his true value. Pats are cheap. Too many cheating fines I guess.

8. ibillwt says: Jun 13, 2017 3:35 PM

He knows that 31 other head coaches refused to draft him, wouldn’t have any idea what to do with him even as an un drafted free agent, and would not even have kept him on a practice squad roster long enough to develop his skills if they did know he could be a receiver.

He also knows the other 31 qbs couldn’t put the ball where it has to be when it has to be there.

9. ibillwt says: Jun 13, 2017 3:36 PM

10. ibillwt says: Jun 13, 2017 3:38 PM

Oops, forgot. Bill Polian had him rated as a first round talent.

11. rogobrothers says: Jun 13, 2017 3:46 PM

They should give him 19 mil just for the super bowl catch. Hope this guy is getting big time endorsement money.

12. intrafinesse says: Jun 13, 2017 4:10 PM

He signed an 11MM 2 year deal. Thats 5.5MM/year for 2 years.
    You can’t count this years salary which the Patriots were clearly going to pay.

And he has 4MM in incentives.
    If he plays very well he’ll earn 7.5MM a year for 2 year in 2018 and 2019.
    He’s a good player, but he also benefits from playing with Brady and under Belichick.
    I don’t think 7.5MM/year is under paid.

13. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 13, 2017 4:19 PM

Size wise and pound for pound, one of the toughest dudes in the NFL

14. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Jun 13, 2017 4:20 PM

Don’t forget Edelman also has a perfect postseason passer rating of 158.3, the dude’s a stud.

15. daddeeo says: Jun 13, 2017 5:57 PM

Awesome. Simply awesome.

16. irsaysneedle says: Jun 13, 2017 6:07 PM

CHAMPION.

17. george1859 says: Jun 13, 2017 8:23 PM

Lot of good your obedience to the ‘Patriot way’ will do you when you and your family when you are 45, broke and unable to earn.. they will cut you ina second when your usefulness is gone.
    See who remembers you then….

18. brady2gronktd says: Jun 13, 2017 9:15 PM

damn those tears don’t taste salty at all!!

19. franktuttle says: Jun 13, 2017 11:18 PM

Edelman’s current net worth is $9M. Add to that a conservative estimate of his net earnings over the life of his new contract, about $6M. That leaves him at $15M when he retires.

My guess is he won’t be buying his kicks at PayLess when he’s 45.

20. exinsidetrader says: Jun 14, 2017 7:50 AM

I look forward to reading the negative comments to this post of the losers and haters — it helps me start my day with a smile. Now off to your safe spaces!

21. fjw2 says: Jun 14, 2017 8:39 AM

Anyone who can’t “get by” for the rest of their life on 14 million bucks is an idiot.

Edelman will be fine. His good sense to stay with the Patriots and self-franchise himself (continual endorsement deals for the rest of his life) shows he is much smarter than that.

Even if you aren’t a financial wizard and don’t know how to invest your money, when you’ve banked that kind of coin there are lot’s of people that will do it for you for a reasonable fee.

22. superpatriotsfan says: Jun 14, 2017 9:56 AM