AP

New Ravens receiver Jeremy Maclin joined PFT Live for a Skype interview on Thursday, immediately after the last offseason practice ended. And the discussion included some eye-opening details regarding the manner in which Maclin’s tenure with the Chiefs ended, 13 days ago.

If you were surprised to learn that Maclin had been cut, Maclin was, too. On a scale of one to 10, Maclin’s surprise factor was, he said, “Eleven.”

How did he find out?

“Through a voicemail,” Maclin said. “[From G.M.] John Dorsey. I was upset, I was shocked. Apparently, they had been trying to trade me for two or three months. Which who knows if that’s true or not? I would just think that . . . a guy who is going into his ninth year would know if he’s being shopped or not. It is what it is. I still have respect for Big Red, still have respect for the organization. I’m not going to bad mouth anybody or talk any dirt on anybody. It was an unfortunate situation. They felt like they didn’t want me as a player anymore, so it is what it is. I’m happy with where I am right now, and I think that might be the last time I talk about what I call my former life. So I don’t think I want to talk about that anymore.”

Maclin nevertheless addressed one final topic: Did they approach him about taking a pay cut?

“There was not a discussion with me or my team,” Maclin said. “I’ve heard a lot of rumors coming out of there. I’ve heard they thought I lost a step, my price tag was too high. Whatever the case may be, I’m ready to play some football. That flame that burns inside of a competitor, that thing got a lot brighter.”

So has he lost a step?

Maclin answered in a word: “Nope.”

Hopefully, you’ll say yes to hearing (and seeing) the full interview, which debuts on Friday’s PFT Live at some point between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. ET.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Jeremy Maclin was upset, shocked that he learned of his Chiefs release by voicemail”
  1. lingsun54 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:32 PM

I don’t have a problem with the way he was fired. It’s a job. Jobs end.

2. tylawspick6 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:39 PM

Maclin was barely mediocre last year. Rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, put up similar numbers, for example.

3. bmorepositive123 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:42 PM

He’s an awesome guy, on and off the field. I hope he has 10 TDs, more than the chefs WR corp combined

4. streetyson says: Jun 15, 2017 1:43 PM

So he’s upset that they phoned him and had to leave him a message because he didn’t/couldn’t reply? Oh how nasty of them!!!

Anyway, he might still have something in the tank but his yardage halved last year to 536yds compared to 1088 in 2015. He missed 4 games and was injury-plagued, and those 500yds cost the Chiefs $12.4M in cap – would he have taken a 60-70% pay cut to match that production? No.

5. tylawspick6 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:47 PM

Malcom Mitchell put up similar numbers as rookie, but in fewer games played yet this guy thinks he’s something special, as does Baltimore?

lol

6. richabbs says: Jun 15, 2017 1:51 PM

I love to get those players with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. Steve Smith was that type of player.

7. kh221 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:57 PM

His stats would have been higher with a better QB, Maclin is a pretty damn good receiver.

8. weepingjebus says: Jun 15, 2017 1:58 PM

Could be worse. The Jets have a guy who just sprays you with a hose until you leave.

9. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:59 PM

But he wasn’t too upset he got paid millions to under produce I bet.

Players are getting entirely too sensitive. What did he want, the Chiefs pay to fly him out there 1st class in the offseason, put him up in a 4 or 5 star hotel just so they could tell him he was cut?

Answer your phone. Or call the guy back when he leaves a vm saying to please call in.

10. akira1971 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:00 PM

The organization tried to reach him by phone to break the news instead of him finding out through secondary sources. What exactly is the problem here?

As for the Chiefs not telling him he’s on the trade block, why would they announce it to him or the world? If no one made the trade and he remains, you have a potential disgrunted employee for the rest of the year.

11. youdrivemenutseagles says: Jun 15, 2017 2:00 PM

Only Tes will put up good numbers playing with Smith so I won’t hold Maclin’s “numbers” against him. He just needs to stay healthy.

12. kennylc2015 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:01 PM

lingsun54 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:32 PM
    I don’t have a problem with the way he was fired. It’s a job. Jobs end.
    ———————–

I kind of would like to see you lose your job via voicemail and see if you come back with “it’s a job. Jobs end.” Whether your a $5M athlete or a waitress, there is just a certain measure of respect and dignity that should be given. Not saying that they should have taken him out to dinner, but show a little bit of class.

13. bkostela says: Jun 15, 2017 2:02 PM

That’s what happens when you don’t answer your phone. Would he prefer a text?

14. bkostela says: Jun 15, 2017 2:04 PM

kennylc2015 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 2:01 PM
    lingsun54 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:32 PM
    I don’t have a problem with the way he was fired. It’s a job. Jobs end.
    ———————–

__________________

They called him and he didn’t answer. How long do you expect the organization to wait for a call back?

15. baltimoresnativeson says: Jun 15, 2017 2:06 PM

This will be the best QB he’s ever played with.

That’s right, I said it.

16. fanboyarmy says: Jun 15, 2017 2:06 PM

Stay classy KC. LOL!

17. ButtFumbler says: Jun 15, 2017 2:07 PM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:39 PM
    —————
    tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:47 PM
    —————

Tell us more about Malcom Mitchell, its really interesting and applicable to this article

18. baltimoresnativeson says: Jun 15, 2017 2:09 PM

I’m sure they knew they were going to release him the last time they saw him face to face.

That had to leave a voicemail is horse crap.

19. v2787 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:12 PM

The least Dorsey could have done for a 9-year veteran is leave a voicemail saying something like “Please call me as soon as you get this message. I have something very important to discuss with you immediately.” I gather that nothing like this happened. Instead, Dorsey apparently just left a voicemail saying that Maclin was being let go. That’s pretty cold and callous, no matter what business you’re in.

20. Drunk Uncle says: Jun 15, 2017 2:13 PM

Con: Fired by voicemail.
    Pro: Doesn’t have to live in Kansas City anymore, and quickly signed with a new team.

Sounds like he improved his situation to me!

21. xavier179 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:14 PM

Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but you have lost a step.

22. ravensbob says: Jun 15, 2017 2:17 PM

Welcome to Baltimore!

23. guitarkevin says: Jun 15, 2017 2:21 PM

LOL at all of the folks on here saying the way the Chiefs let him go by voicemail is okay. First off, how would you feel if your current employer fired you via voicemail? You wouldn’t like it because you’re a human being.

Don’t worry Jeremy, Baltimore doesn’t treat its players like that.

24. genericcommenter says: Jun 15, 2017 2:25 PM

The comments here are interesting and, IMHO, show a strange relationship between “regular Americans” and the people they seek out for entertainment, while generally maintaining a bizarre reverence for the billionaires (many of whom receive large amounts of welfare) who employ them. I don’t really understand the point of being a fan of people/things in this manner. Maybe if you enjoy watching trashy reality tv or something, but I don’t view sports that way.

25. csneekz says: Jun 15, 2017 2:25 PM

then pick up your phone

26. TheDPR says: Jun 15, 2017 2:36 PM

When you’re not a speed guy anyway, losing a step doesn’t mean much. Good hands and veteran know-how can be just as valuable. Look at the team he’s going to. They have speed guys who are marginal route runners and marginal hands guys. I think the Ravens are going to be happy with a guy who can get open and catch. They’d have been better off with Decker, IMO, but still, Maclin’s an upgrade for them.

27. exinsidetrader says: Jun 15, 2017 2:36 PM

Where did all the men go?

Answer your phone and stop being such a baby.

Move on.

28. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jun 15, 2017 2:39 PM

It appears that Andy Reid is on a free ride this year. Cut Alex after this season and start anew with Mahomes in 2018. Andy won’t feel any real pressure for three years. Must be nice.

29. maddog111 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:42 PM

Drunk Uncle says:
    Jun 15, 2017 2:13 PM

Con: Fired by voicemail.

Sounds like he improved his situation to me!
    —————————————————–
    Yep, I know when I think of paradise, first thing that pops into my mind is Baltimore

30. kcflake says: Jun 15, 2017 2:45 PM

Maclin was WEAK last year. Not worth 11 Mill

31. jonwill57 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:46 PM

Seriously? You do realize in comparing Maclin to Mitchell means you’re also comparing Alex Smith to Tom Brady? Try again…
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    @tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:39 PM

32. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jun 15, 2017 2:46 PM

maddog111 says:

—————————————————-

LOL Good One!

33. jonwill57 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:49 PM

Jeremy, were you as surprised as Donovan was several Easter Sundays ago?

34. taeh324 says: Jun 15, 2017 2:52 PM

For all the brainless idiots that said he should have picked up the phone or called back. From what it seem like the Chiefs only called once and left the voicemail. Also seeing that this was during the voluntary workouts which Maclin was in attendance then it would not have been hard to let him know face to face.

35. cmtumd says: Jun 15, 2017 2:54 PM

———————————————————————
    Ha, like anyone wants to stay with the Jets.

36. nhpats says: Jun 15, 2017 2:56 PM

This just shows the Chiefs run a bumpkin organization…. They could have waited until they got in touch with him and handled this with an iota of class

37. struckgold49er says: Jun 15, 2017 3:11 PM

Yeah Jeremy, the Jets had already cut David Harris and Decker but decided to tell them right after practice!!

38. thefan08 says: Jun 15, 2017 3:22 PM

Seeing some of these comments, it is easy to see why we are in the weird climate we are in now.

Teams have the right to fire any players they want, just like in the non-sports world, employers have the right to fire anyone, but there is a right way and a stupid way.

In the non-football world, when a company want to fire you, they call you to the office and fire you on the spot and when an employee wants to leave, the company wants you to give them 2 weeks.

This is the type of behavior we all complain about unless this is happening to an athlete since most people are jealous at the work they do and the amount of money they make. In other cases some fans are just so loyal to the team it doesn’t matter what the team does. Stop and think, if you wouldn’t like this done to you then stop pretending like it is okay for it to happen to an athlete whether you like the individual or not.

39. notlistinin says: Jun 15, 2017 3:52 PM

v2787 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 2:12 PM

—————————————-
    100% conjecture. It could have been the 5th VM from Dorsey to Maclin, you don’t know.
    We have enough people in this country citing their unsubstantiated notions as evidence, they are called politicians.

40. laserw says: Jun 15, 2017 3:54 PM

He learned of it through voice mail because he was too lazy to answer his phone; few times does a phone just go to voice mail. He’s lucky he isn’t one of the schmucks who has a voice mail box that is overflowing and one cannot contact him.

Oh, boo hoo.

41. joetoronto says: Jun 15, 2017 4:01 PM

Kansas no class City.

42. kcflake says: Jun 15, 2017 4:04 PM

If the Chiefs would like to pay me over $22 million and then release me by voicemail, that would be Fine with me.

43. mattbilleauthor says: Jun 15, 2017 4:08 PM

A professional deserves to be talked to, on the phone or in person. If you miss him, you leave a voicemail saying , “Call me back.”

44. carloswlassiter says: Jun 15, 2017 4:14 PM

I’m sure they left him the voicemail to ensure that he didn’t learn about his release on ESPN.

45. tbabes says: Jun 15, 2017 4:30 PM

Maclin was being paid like an elite receiver. News Flash: Maclin is not, and never was, an elite receiver.

46. brewster1 says: Jun 15, 2017 4:42 PM

If you thought that firing someone via voicemail was classless, have you heard the one about the Director of the FBI?

47. hrmlss says: Jun 15, 2017 4:47 PM

Don’t screen your calls then. Probably didn’t mention they tried 5 times or so before the message, and only did that so he didn’t hear it on social media first.

48. ahostiletakeover says: Jun 15, 2017 5:27 PM

How the hell are all of you armchair GMs privy to Dorsey letting you know he tried to call Maclin 5 times or whatever? Just curious because I’m looking through the newswire and have yet to read anything like that anywhere. I did however read that Andy Reid was at Maclin’s wedding two weeks ago, don’t you think the head coach would know if his GM was trying to constantly call Maclin and he would, you know, let Maclin know seeing as they were chummy enough to be on his wedding A-list?

49. mindelm42 says: Jun 15, 2017 5:42 PM

He’s NOT an $11M guy. One good year in KC; one or two in Philly where he was a great #2. Get over it. You’re making a lot of money.

50. jamaltimore says: Jun 15, 2017 6:06 PM

Don’t worry your with a first class organization now and you have QB and team ready to go get another Ring!! January Joe is the only AFC guy who ain’t scared of brady and the rest of the NE trash.

51. thenewguy12 says: Jun 15, 2017 6:37 PM

Stuff like this is why I love John Lynch’s policy of having both the HC and GM meet face to face with every player that is being cut. It is about respect and treating people the way you’d want to be treated.

52. howiehandles says: Jun 15, 2017 9:28 PM

Probably could have been handled better if his take is true. However, nice for him that he could retire right now as a millionaire if he wanted to.

53. dbonedigdb4584 says: Jun 16, 2017 8:51 PM

Must not have had an Agent. Pros don’t fire someone direct unless, they have no representation. If not, slam the door shut. Those Athletes understand, every year is a new year. And, those in the business without an Agent, are nothing more than ground beef. Every year, teams trim the fat and, it always comes from the ground beef first. Very rarely, do they mess with the ribeye’s.