Matthew Stafford not worrying about other QB deals

Getty Images

Rising tides may lift all boats, but Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford isn’t worried about the ships about to come in for other quarterbacks.

With big deals on deck for Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins, Stafford shrugged off the comparisons.

I’m not too worried about what those guys do,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I’m just worried about trying to get better out here. That’s pretty much all I can say. This time of year to me is football time. I’m out here playing football, trying to get better to help this team win.”

With inflation being what it is, they could surpass Andrew Luck’s record deal, though the Lions and Stafford haven’t really moved past the “early stages” of their negotiation at last mention.

Stafford said he has “no timetable” for a new contract, while the other two do. Carr said he won’t talk about a new deal if it isn’t done before the start of the regular season, and Cousins has the July 15 deadline for a long-term deal as a franchise tag recipient.

If Stafford waits, the numbers are only going to rise, though he doesn’t want to think about that either.

“The only time I ever talk about [my contract] or think about it is when you guys ask me questions about it, honestly,” Stafford said. “I just go out there and play ball, try to be aggressive and get better.”

Toward that end, he’s going to gather some teammates for a passing camp before training camp, hoping to build on the kind of progress he made last year, which will get him paid.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
10 Responses to “Matthew Stafford not worrying about other QB deals”
  1. whatjusthapped says: Jun 15, 2017 8:03 AM

Get back to me with Stafford actually wins a playoff game.

2. topcide says: Jun 15, 2017 8:31 AM

Every time a QB signs a new deal it’s the biggest deal in NFL history. Nothing to see here, move along.

3. eaglesw00t says: Jun 15, 2017 8:37 AM

I would love to see just 1 QB say “Ill take 15, and be happy, and not hamper my entire franchise”.

Especially these guys on third contracts. Once you’ve got $75 mill in the bank, is money still the most important thing to you? I would love to say I would be different, but Ive sure never been in those shoes lol

4. nard100 says: Jun 15, 2017 8:48 AM

Hope Matt gets a big deal. It will ensure years more of mediocrity in Detroit.

5. streetyson says: Jun 15, 2017 8:56 AM

People overlook he had a mega $27M signing bonus on his current contract of which some is still being prorated into 2017, so his overall salary this year is really a healthy $22M ($16.5M base + $5.5M bonus). And I’m sure his next contract will be bigger, and I’m sure he knows it will be – because even if the Lions don’t pay it a fair few other teams happily will.

6. coats2m says: Jun 15, 2017 11:30 AM

HUGE Stafford fan here, dude is a baller and a great teammate, that said, he also came into the league before the rookie wage scale was implemented. He’s already made more than $100 million…the dude is set. I’d love if he said, $15 mill is fine, now go get me some quality players and build something amazing….

7. nathanp2013 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:27 PM

Stark contrast to Golden Tate who has been angling for raise and extension before he even played his first game.

8. darksidecowboy says: Jun 15, 2017 3:35 PM

He’ll come to AZ after Palmer retires

9. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 15, 2017 3:56 PM

eaglesw00t says:
    Jun 15, 2017 8:37 AM
    —————-
    Ah, Tom Brady has done that. Twice.

10. droppedinagreasefire says: Jun 16, 2017 9:37 PM

Carr will break the bank. Not bad for a guy with a losing career record, no division titles and no playoff wins.