Osweiler takes a veiled shot at the Texans

AP

The bad blood lingers between Brock Osweiler and the Texans. And while the bad blood isn’t currently boiling (again), it’s definitely there.

Consider these quotes from Osweiler, and the reasonable interpretation of them.

“The best part is I’m getting coached hard on my fundamentals,” Osweiler said regarding his latest new team, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. “And I believe firmly that when your fundamentals and your feet are right as a quarterback, you’re going to make great decisions and you’re going to throw accurate footballs.

“I think that’s something that slid last season. I’m not going to go into great detail on that, but they did. My fundamentals slid, and because of that, you saw some poor decisions and some poor throws. If you go back to 2015, I feel like my fundamentals were pretty tight.”

In other words, Osweiler believes he wasn’t properly coached on his fundamentals last year. Which means he believes he wasn’t properly coached by Bill O’Brien and his staff.

Of course, the notion that Osweiler’s fundamentals slid last year doesn’t necessarily mesh with the passionate case he made last month to be the starter in Cleveland:  “I think the proof is in the film from the past two years.”

But Osweiler on Wednesday wasn’t trying to pump himself up. He was hoping to take a not-so-subtle shot. And for anyone who may not have otherwise noticed it, the phrase “I’m not going to go into great detail on that” was the magic marker with which Osweiler hoped we’d all connect the dots.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
85 Responses to “Osweiler takes a veiled shot at the Texans”
  1. flaccodelic says: Jun 15, 2017 10:58 AM

It’s never been Osweiler’s fault any of the numerous times he’s failed.

2. cueghost says: Jun 15, 2017 10:59 AM

It sure feels like Florio is calling B.O. a tool… and I couldn’t possibly agree more.

3. wildfan13 says: Jun 15, 2017 10:59 AM

So he has no control over his own body and can’t make good decisions on the field? That’s the coaches fault?

4. remstar10 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:00 AM

Sunday October 15th, Browns Texans. I don’t care if Kizer/Kessler pro bowl level at that point, Brock needs to start that game!

5. Lisa_the_Greek says: Jun 15, 2017 11:00 AM

I must admit, this seems like it might be true… the Texans are not exactly known for success at the QB position.

6. donbat67 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:00 AM

Didn’t think he was bright enough to make to make a veiled comment like this .

7. tylawspick6 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:02 AM

UNCOACHABLE

Failure

If you get tossed out as uncoachable, you’re done.

8. chc4 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:04 AM

So lame. This guy is a clown. Take responsibility for your poor play. I seriously doubt he will get any better with all the “great coaching” in Cleveland. Or anywhere else for that matter.

9. tjacks7 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:04 AM

This guy has been in the NFL for 5 years and he hasn’t mastered the fundementals such as having the correct footwork or the ability to throw the ball accurately?

And I’m no QB guru, but I fail to see the link between proper footwork and making good decisions. Does having the proper footwork somehow make you more intelligent and able to read defenses better?

10. crenshawpete714 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:05 AM

Wow, between pouting when he got benched in Denver for playing poorly, leaving them out of spite, and now bashing the Texans as if they’re to blame for his issues, it’s safe to say this guy sucks.

11. RegisHawk says: Jun 15, 2017 11:05 AM

So he had them, he lost them, and now he’s getting them back…doesn’t sound all that “fundamental” to me.

12. factschecker says: Jun 15, 2017 11:08 AM

Brock is the guy that made it clear to the Houston coaching staff during the 2016 offseason. “I’m not Tom Brady.”

He was the one not willing to arrive before the sun comes up and go home long after the sun had set. You only get out what you put in. If you put the minimum in then you will only get the minimum out of your work.

You are the sum of your preparation.
    -Tom Brady

13. ctiggs says: Jun 15, 2017 11:09 AM

We lol at trashweiler

14. bigbenisabigbaby says: Jun 15, 2017 11:14 AM

A “shot”? Not quite. You really need to get out the magnifying glass to come up with that. Nothing to see here except a slow day in the news.

15. niners816 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:14 AM

I don’t know why but Osweiler has always been very unlikable. Everything he says makes me like him less and less.

16. grumpysal says: Jun 15, 2017 11:15 AM

So, it’s the coaches fault that you couldn’t keep your feet and arms properly aligned? Jesus, you’re supposed to be a Pro QB, but can’t monitor yourself enough to keep a job that you need a coach to drill it into you every day?

17. bobsacamano2 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:17 AM

I don’t see that as a shot at all. I see that as a guy who recognizes he has a flaw and is glad his coaches are helping him with it.

If it is a shot, it’s not a good one. Not sure how you can blame the coaching staff because of your own flaws.

But again, I don’t see that at all.

18. ctbarryjr says: Jun 15, 2017 11:19 AM

The reason the texans traded him was attitude. Not his play.

19. patriots123456 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:21 AM

The mistake the Texans made was acquiring him and paying him what they did.

But they smartened up and dumped him…

20. mongo3401 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:24 AM

He should be sending Houston bottle of Champagne weekly instead of taking shots at him. They made him a multi multi multi millionaire.

21. kevinlawrencecantor says: Jun 15, 2017 11:24 AM

It’s easy to take shots at Brock Osweiler. He deserves a lot of them.

But EVERY QB cannot be wrong, or not up to par. At some point Bill O’Brien needs to be criticized, when QB play is supposed to be his forte.

22. unnamedsources says: Jun 15, 2017 11:27 AM

Takes a shot at the Texans…intercepted.
    The guy is not a leader. One day he thinks he is good enough the next its his coaches fault….hope he knows how to manage his money

23. intrafinesse says: Jun 15, 2017 11:35 AM

So let me get this right:

1) you market yourself as an NFL QB

2) you get a starting job, getting paid starter wages

3) you fail miserably

4) its someone else’s fault

Can I try that? Can someone help me get a job as a kicker, you don’t have to pay me much, just 2 years guaranteed at 500K per year. When I screw up I’ll blame… everyone but myself.

Have fun in Cleveland Brock.

24. paulniner79 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:35 AM

I still can’t get over the fact that the Browns traded for him. The contract that Huston gave him was clearly a mistake, and Cleveland stepped in and assumed that liability. Even if you get a second rounder, this makes no sense.

25. sopadegato says: Jun 15, 2017 11:44 AM

In Denver, Kubiak made him work. In Houston, O’Brien’s been through a dozen QBs and none of them worked.

26. onereasonableman says: Jun 15, 2017 11:47 AM

What ever happened to just shutting up and doing a good job. Start there. Let everyone else make their conclusions.

27. billsbackto81 says: Jun 15, 2017 11:49 AM

In all fairness it’s not his fault that the Texans saw in him what the other QB needy teams didn’t. Which I guess would be a competent franchise QB. That was a hell of a contract for someone with such a small unproven body of work. What are you gonna say when someone throws you millions of dollars for what you know will end in failure? Uh……thank you.

28. fireroger says: Jun 15, 2017 11:59 AM

In summary, a QBs coach failed to point out the problems with his mechanics. How likely is that considering that is their primary job? If true, that coach should be fired. But that seems highly unlikely. It’s more likely the coach couldn’t get through to him.

29. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Jun 15, 2017 11:59 AM

Cue the hurt feelings and delusional Texans fans. I wonder what will the Texans excuse be when they miss the playoffs this year? Will you still blame the QB and let O’Brien off the hook? He is the one wasting a championship roster.

30. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:03 PM

O’Brien is an excellent coach. Osweiller does not seem to be a hard worker. Seems clear to me where the problem is.

31. streetyson says: Jun 15, 2017 12:06 PM

For all his faults, he did QB them into the playoffs and played his part (rated 90.1) in a postseason win over the Raiders – before getting dismantled by the Pats (but not many QBs survive a trip to Foxboro). And so he got treated a bit poorly, not least by O’Brien for not being Tom Brady – who O’Brien still thinks is a great QB because he got shouted at a lot by O’Brien despite the fact that Brady had 3 rings before O’Brien’s time and didn’t get numbers 4 and 5 until after O’Brien left.

32. blackbug99 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:09 PM

For a guy who has never proved anything, he did get a nice chunk of change.

33. cwmore1169 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:10 PM

If your QB is struggling to make accurate throws or bad decisions, I would think the HC or QB coach would review the film to determine if its the mechanics or a case of the brain farts unless the coach never like the QB in the first place and hoped he failed. Going back to the free agent signing where the coach never met with the prized free agent QB makes you wonder. Brock isn’t blameless but there’s no perfect player and they all need to be coached.

34. whenwilliteverend says: Jun 15, 2017 12:11 PM

Shouldn’t a QB already have good fundamentals when he gets to the league? Did the Broncos have to coach him up hard on the fundamentals? Sounds like he’s just a whiner and using any excuse he can find to account for being benched last year for a nobody.

35. denverscott says: Jun 15, 2017 12:19 PM

Whew. Thanks to the commentators that showed us how this relates to NE.

36. fanboyarmy says: Jun 15, 2017 12:27 PM

Relax. Ozzy Baby is still in shock from getting beaten up by the chick that stole his pizza.

37. mosesthejuggernaut says: Jun 15, 2017 12:28 PM

Pretty sure your mentor Manning never blamed his coaches for poor play on the field.

38. 4512dawg4512 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:38 PM

Set aside the immature haha jokes for a second, the guy made a great point. I’m liking him more and more

39. weepingjebus says: Jun 15, 2017 12:39 PM

He learned this from Peyton. When in doubt, blame others.

40. kmgpop says: Jun 15, 2017 12:43 PM

Shouldn’t the fundamentals be basically ingrained by the time you reach professional status??? You tool! I hope you wind up on the same scrap heap as JaMarcus Russell and Josh Freeman, among others.

Certain players have had careers derailed by substandard coaching. You are not one of them! Grow up, or get out!

41. xavier179 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:45 PM

I call them as I see them. O’Brien is still riding the coat tails of his Penn State tenure. He has shown me nothing as a head coach. Houston will continue to be in the Super Bowl, as a host that is.

42. harleywoman883 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:48 PM

The day I saw him throw a toddler tantrum when Peyton was put in the game to replace him was the day I knew he was toast…

43. r502 says: Jun 15, 2017 12:53 PM

Everyone likes to say Elway was smart to pass on paying this guy, which is true.

He also drafted this schmoe, and the other meh QB’s on Denver’s roster. Elway is not exactly turning out to be much of a talent evaluator when it comes to the QB position judging by who he has put on the field not named Manning.

Pretty sad considering he played the position at a hall of fame level…

44. binarymath says: Jun 15, 2017 12:54 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 11:04 AM
    This guy has been in the NFL for 5 years and he hasn’t mastered the fundamentals such as having the correct footwork or the ability to throw the ball accurately?

******************************************************
    I don’t think it’s footwork, but rather his balance. Perhaps if he were to stop wearing his derriere like a helmet…

45. mlvcfan says: Jun 15, 2017 12:56 PM

he would be wise the keep quiet do his job and let his performance do the talking.

46. dal1as says: Jun 15, 2017 12:57 PM

I was happy when the Texans over paid for him to begin with being a Broncos fan. I just never felt like he was the “future” for the Broncos. He really does need a lot of coaching with his feet and arm motion. For being 6 feet 7 he gets more balls batted down at the line of scrimmage than anyone I have ever seen. Going to Cleveland may be the best thing form him. He is the best QB that they have right now. He should win the starting job. If not then he may be out of the league.

47. rondayne says: Jun 15, 2017 1:02 PM

Brock Osweiler is a complete clown, and the idea that he, an NFL QB, forgot the fundamentals of throwing a football because of a coach is absurd.

That being said, I don’t doubt for a second that O’Brien didn’t coach him on fundamentals. The idea that he is some QB guru is crazy, he just got lucky coaching Tom Brady. If I were a Texans fan I’d have serious doubts about his ability to develop a rookie QB.

48. cmoney20 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:11 PM

Brock should just change his name to Carson Wentz. That way, no one will criticize him no matter what.

49. whywerule says: Jun 15, 2017 1:12 PM

If Osweiler was worried about his fundamentals, then why didn’t reach out to Tom House who has worked with other NFL QBs that wanted to brush up on their fundamentals? A list that includes Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan and others. I would argue that those QBs have all been more successful than Osweiler, yet still take the time to worry, and do something, about their fundamentals.

50. joshgordonsbong says: Jun 15, 2017 1:12 PM

So what happens if Tom Savage comes out and is as good as B.O. says he’s been?? The ole excuse window will be slammed shut for good

51. zoxitic says: Jun 15, 2017 1:12 PM

Bad blood with Denver, then bad blood with Houston. I’m no genius, but I bet on bad blood with Cleveland in the near future.

52. damcmp says: Jun 15, 2017 1:13 PM

O’Brien and he staff are a bunch of college coaches from primarily Georgia Tech that run the Wishbone. he came to Houston and was proclaimed a QB guru/whisperer.. there have 13 QBs out there since he arrived and discounting Savage he has not made one better,,,,

53. ajames35 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:13 PM

So a questionable player on a bad team is taking shots at a team and coaching staff that’s been over .500 for several years? Got it.

54. ajames35 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:17 PM

Practicing fundamentals is always appropriate, but an NFL veteran should not need to be coached on proper fundamentals.

Not to mention, good fundamentals do not mean much when paired with poor decision making…

55. slash714 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:21 PM

It’s not like the Texans haven’t sucked since they’ve been in the league. Osweiler needa to quit whinning and be a man. It I think he has a chance to be good in a different environment.

56. nathanp2013 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:25 PM

It’s your 6th year in the NFL Brock… they shouldn’t have to teach you fundamentals.

57. nard100 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:29 PM

You have to believe Denver is laughing their heads off these days

58. goodellhasabutthamster says: Jun 15, 2017 1:40 PM

Apparently he hasn’t heard that many established QBs find outside trainers to hone their technique in the offseason.

59. bluenose1965 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:41 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 15, 2017 11:59 AM
    ________________________________________________

Sorry Texans troll, but we made the play-offs again last season. Your post, once again, makes zero sense.

60. blah773 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:43 PM

it’s my high school coaches fault I never made it to the pro’s.

61. bluenose1965 says: Jun 15, 2017 1:46 PM

r502 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 12:53 PM

Pretty sad considering he played the position at a hall of fame level…
    _________________________________________________
    Elway offered him $16m a year. Houston offered him more. Seems he thought almost as much of Brock as Rick Smith.

62. kevpft says: Jun 15, 2017 1:52 PM

When the Texans manage to get the most out of ANY QB in their entire history, THEN we can badmouth Osweiler.

That team is quickly outpacing the Browns as a place QBs’ careers go to die.

63. nhpats says: Jun 15, 2017 2:02 PM

bluenose1965 says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:41 PM
    patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 15, 2017 11:59 AM
    ________________________________________________

—————–

The poor sap is a Jets fan…..he doesn’t have much sense

64. fanboyarmy says: Jun 15, 2017 2:38 PM

Elway drafted Brock and Lynch who do not appear to be headed to Canton. In all fairness those were weak qb classes given Denver’s draft slot. Everybody missed on Dak, except Dallas, who cried when Denver out manuvered Jones and stole Lynch from him. Jones got Dak as a consolation prize in the 4th. Nobody predicted his instant succesd. Elway did bag the biggest FA of all time, Peyton. He did pretty good.

65. tindeaux says: Jun 15, 2017 2:57 PM

wait. did he say that the turnovers were the coaches’ fault?

66. gregfalco15 says: Jun 15, 2017 3:12 PM

I applied for a lucrative job once, offering millions of dollars and I said “I’m your guy… as long as you’re going to coach me hard on the fundamentals of the job”.

They never called back.

67. Big_Mike392 says: Jun 15, 2017 3:13 PM

I think there is some truth to the theory that the QB coach or coaches in Houston are not good, considering they really have never had a good QB in the history of their franchise (Andre Johnson has made a few of them look good for a little bit). But for Osweiler it’s a dumb excuse considering he’s not in high school, and he did spend a few years learning from one of the best QBs of all time in Denver.

68. htown1035 says: Jun 15, 2017 3:26 PM

damcmp says:
    Jun 15, 2017 1:13 PM

————————————————

False – Hoyer and Fitzpatrick had career years under O’Brien. The problem is the GM tried to fill in with bridge QB’s and this year he finally traded up to draft a franchise QB. Plus O’Brien has had garbage for QB’s and has still had winning seasons each year with multiple playoff appearances.

69. TheWizard says: Jun 15, 2017 4:05 PM

Technically he may be right, Brady says even he needs to be put back on track from time to time, or his play suffers.

That being said, nobody wants to hear excuses from this guy. If he flops again, who to blame next time?

70. campcouch says: Jun 15, 2017 4:21 PM

Notice how coordinators from New England leave and fail? It shows you the genius of Brady and Belichick. And no I’m not a Pats homer, I just see what non-Patriot fans are loathe to admit. O’Brien is a hack. They let Kubiak, who nearly died coaching for them,go and replaced him with someone lesser. The Browns have gone through 20 QBs since 99. O’Brien is closing at what, 12 in four years. Osweiler might have a point.

71. twinfan24 says: Jun 15, 2017 4:29 PM

First off, I don’t think that shot was very veiled.

Secondly, how does a pro athlete, who has been in the league for four years previously, still need a coach to help with fundamentals? Unless his definition of fundamentals is different than what most of us would think (footwork, release point, etc.).

72. Thomas says: Jun 15, 2017 4:46 PM

The only thing that happened between 2015 and 2016 is he got paid, then he lost focus. 6’7″ wienie-armed tool.

Texans only have to look in the mirror for who to blame.

73. billsbackto81 says: Jun 15, 2017 5:22 PM

Jets would make the playoffs in that division.

Just saying.

74. mototax says: Jun 15, 2017 6:32 PM

Well Brock, you get to show the Texans your new and improved footwork on October 15 at NRG Stadium. You can show it to Watt, Mercilus and Clowney too.

75. daddeeo says: Jun 15, 2017 7:57 PM

FUNDEMENTALLY: you sucked last season kid. Deal with it and compete. Don’t blame the coaches for your inflated head. Bear down and gut it out. COWBOY UP!!!

76. harril3 says: Jun 15, 2017 9:32 PM

Why didn’t they coach him on fundamentals? Because no team pays a guy $72mm and expects to have to coach him on his fundamentals. And yet at some point, they did.

I heard a story on the radio today, the host worked a Texans Sunday night game with David Carr. Carr was laughing because they had BO holding a towel between his elbow and his side during warmups. Carr thought it was funny because it’s the kind of drill you do with 12 year olds.

77. tatatoothy68 says: Jun 15, 2017 9:37 PM

How long has this guy been a QB in the NFL and he needs coaching on the basics?

78. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Jun 17, 2017 8:24 AM

Dude…you should be thankful that Cleveland is keeping you. The ultimate insult is when a team keeps Brandon Weeden over you…’nuff said.

79. varangia says: Jun 17, 2017 11:58 PM

3 years 3 teams. Should’ve swallowed his pride and stayed with Denver.

80. papet62 says: Jun 19, 2017 8:46 AM

Brock Osweiler is to Ryan Leaf what Barack Obama was to Jimmy Carter!

81. fmc651 says: Jun 19, 2017 8:55 AM

I am not a Brock fan but this is a pretty natural reaction to being traded away. He was on a playoff team and was sent to a nonplayoff team. You are salty and sometimes you say things that aren’t fair. Also BO doesn’t appear to be an elite coach. Just watch Hard Knock. That show exposes weaknesses of the coaching staffs. Smith, Philbin were exposed there, not to mention non head coaches too.

82. jaysayz says: Jun 19, 2017 2:12 PM

I’m not saying the Texans coaching staff is good or bad but I know brock had more wrong with his game than just fundamentals.

83. silvernblacksabbath says: Jun 20, 2017 2:05 PM

The NBA is calling Brock. lol

84. rugolin says: Jun 20, 2017 7:19 PM

He sure sound like he should run for President after his career is over. He already has the part down where he blames everyone else under the sun for falling on his face and losing.

85. 8to80texansblog says: Jun 22, 2017 2:56 PM

I wish Osweiler all the best unless he’s playing the Texans. Honestly.

He didn’t work out here and that’s too bad. I’m sure coaching had something to do with it. But his preparation and his work ethic had something to do with it as well. If you’re not getting the coaching that you think you need, isn’t it your job to ask for it, demand it even?

Imagine with the Texan’s might have been able to do with that defense that year if Osweiler had even been middle of the pack last year? Instead we had the top defense and the bottom QB and we were AGAIN mediocre. I really hope Desean is as good as he looked at Clemson.